Axe-Fx III Video Set Up Advice

StevieTGuitar

Hi all,

This is my first post. Got my Axe FX 3 in December and am completely blown away by it.

I bought it, first and foremost, to use for recording. It’s completely changed the way I record and I could not be more complimentary about how it performs.

The reason for this post is that I’m hoping that its huge functionality can also help me improve some other areas of my work, but as someone who is absolutely useless with tech, I’m struggling with whether it can be done- and if it can, how to go about it.

The first of these areas is online video lessons. I’m a guitar tutor and teach many students over Skype. Up until now, I’ve relied on a condenser mic running through a budget interface to capture guitar and voice. The Axe FX is now my sole audio interface (running directly into my Mac via usb) and I’m wondering if I can use that to capture both voice and guitar. Guitar is easy, as the Axe is set as the input and output for the computer, so the direct signal is running straight into Skype. Getting the voice in too is the part I’m unsure of. I suspect that the obvious choice is running a dynamic mic into the Axe to capture my voice, but i don’t see this being as aesthetically pleasing as I would like. I’ve looked at Lavalier Lapel mics, but being condenser mics, I’m assuming they would need some form of phantom power, which I know is unavailable? So my question is, is there a better way, that doesn’t involve buying another separate interface?

The second question. I also regularly record video demos for students. Up until now this has been done using just an iPhone, but I’d very much like to be able to do this from the higher quality webcam I have, with the sound coming from the Axe FX. For unaccompanied pieces this is easy, as the axe is set as the input device in the video software. However when playing over a backing track coming from Logic, I hear both the backing and the guitar in the room, however the video obvious only captures the input from the Axe. Is there a way to get it to capture both?

Any advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated and I hope my naivety on all this hasn’t earned me anyone’s contempt!

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all.

Steve

If you totally wanted to avoid an interface you could get a battery powered mic like a Rode M3 and run that into one of the loop inputs.

You could get a cheap ART or Behringer preamp and run the mic into that and the preamp output into the AxeFx input 2.

Back
Top Bottom