Axe-Fx III versus FM3?

Still using the ax8 live and am on the waitlist for the Fm3.

Me too. I'm weighing the same pros and cons, but the 3rd option on the table I'm strongly considering is to keep using AX8, combined with hope Fractal will eventually release a new floor unit with more switches and more CPU power.

AX8
Pros
  • Already paid for and in front of me right now
  • Sounds great
  • No extra FC required
  • Smaller than FM3 + FC6
  • Dedicated amp knobs
  • No updates means no regularly re-tweaking presets.
  • Get more mileage, postpone chore of selling off AX8 at a loss
Cons
  • Knowing that other newer products sound even greater-er
  • No color screen or scribble strips
  • Updates are fun
  • Feeling of missing out and being left behind is bad

Last edited:
@Robboman for me it's the bummer of a rack and pedal board again....
If there was the likelyhood of a newer more powerful floor unit they would not be coming out with the FM3. But I may be wrong.

Me too. I'm weighing the same pros and cons, but the 3rd option on the table I'm strongly considering is to keep using AX8, combined with hope Fractal will eventually release a new floor unit with more switches and more CPU power.

They might release such a unit in the future. More processing power is cool, sure.
But you shouldn't really worry about the "only three switches" thing, as the whole point of FM3 is that it's a modular device. You can have as many switches as you want/need for any specific gig. Some gigs might require only 3 switches, so carrying the FM3 in your guitar bag is enough. Others might require more switches, so add more. Also, modularity is good for, if something goes wrong: If your FC6 dies, your FM3 still works, and you can use it while your FC6 is shipped for repairs. Such flexibility is objectively better than the unchangeable amount of switches and unit size of the AX8.

I said there have been conflicting statements (there have). Do not recall where (TGP, here?? Do not recall where I saw it) but a statement was made that two blocks might be a possibility.

That coupled with:
  1. A lot of requests for 2 amp blocks
  2. Greg (developer for the FM-3) saying “nothing is set in stone yet”
  3. Fractals long running history of pulling rabbits out of hats
All of the above factors led me to avoid making a deterministic statement of fact about one of the OPs primary questions. If you want to make a statement of fact that is your prerogative. This is an unreleased product after all whose firmware is still squarely in development.

Whether we get one or two amps blocks in the FM-3, my answer to the OPs specific question stands and is 100% accurate: he will have the ability to use different amp models for his clean and solo sounds.

The OPs questions centered around comparing and contrasting between the Axe III and the FM-3 (the thread title is “Axe III vs FM-3” after all). The way I approached my entire response was specifically to provide the compare and contrast he was seeking.
Great response with helpful info.

It's a weird question, really.
The only advantage FM3 has over Axe FX 3 is portability.
Axe FX 3 does pretty much everything else better.
For the extra $1300. it should d o a lot more! As the $2250. FX III cost is beyond my guitar gear budget, the FM3 for $999 is awesome for all you get and is my entry into the Fractal world! I like the much smaller footprint as well.

Last edited:

AX8
Pros
  • Already paid for and in front of me right now
  • Sounds great
  • No extra FC required
  • Smaller than FM3 + FC6
  • Dedicated amp knobs
  • No updates means no regularly re-tweaking presets.
  • Get more mileage, postpone chore of selling off AX8 at a loss
Cons
  • Knowing that other newer products sound even greater-er
  • No color screen or scribble strips
  • Updates are fun
  • Feeling of missing out and being left behind is bad
I also love doing pros and cons lists to help with decision making. You could add to your Pros list that you are experienced with the AX8 system/workflow.

Reverb has been a big plus for me selling gear. Before that it was dread taking stuff to a music chain and getting offered around half of what they could sell it for, or privately sell which was a huge drag.

Re: the "feeling of missing out" I like the idea of generation skipping.

Really depends on your needs. I upgraded from an Ax8 to a III and have no plans of looking back. It's just too powerful, and I have it in an easier to carry setup than I had my Ax8. The FM3 definitely fills a void though. If you are content with how your CPU usage is on the AX8 and feel you don't compromise your presets based on that, then the FM3 might be exactly what you need.
How’s your carry bag setup for the AxeIII? Please, share a photo with us!! 🙏

Very nice! Does it feel like those connectors screwed into the plastic will hold up, long-term? What are you using internally to get power from the powerCon receptacle to all 3 pieces of gear?

Thanks! I don't have a great explanation of all the parts. I did try to include information about them in each of the pics though. It probably shows up better in the imgur site than here.

Drilling the holes in the side of the case is fairly straight forward. I have a drill bit that I purchased that is the perfect size for this. Most of the parts I bought off Amazon directly. When I could use pass-through components on the side, I did. For example, the XLR's are all passthrough devices, so you don't need to solder anything. The only soldering that was necessary was on the Neutrik power connector and the TRS to 3.5mm.

The Neutrik power cable feeds a little octupus like power splitter that isn't shown in the pictures. I soldered one end, the rest are normal receptacles. It's all just buried under the Shure devices now.

I did have proaudiola build some of the cables for me because I wanted specific sizes and colors. Sometimes I build these myself, but I decided against it this time.

I did have to use a Dremel set to carve out a spot for the IEM antenna on both the case and the lid side. All the D-Style connectors are super tight on that SKB plastic too. I was initially worried that I might need to use a screw & nut to hold each of those to the plastic, but the regular self-tapping style screws worked great for this. They don't budge at all. The SKB plastic is pretty darn thick in comparison to other brands.

I have and use both AxFx III and Ax8. The ax8 is easier and portable. but I always want the III's tone and capability. I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 to replace the Ax8., but the way I see it for my needs, I will need to use a controller with it. In that situation there's really not much advantage other than weight and portability. It will take basicly the same amount of time to set up the FM3. Mine will pretty much serve as a backup for the AxFx III. If I had to choose between the two, AxFx III hands down.

That is what I love about 2 amps....I am using my fender deluxe clean and a Plexi for gain....switching between them with 2 Vol blocks with inputs linked to 1 pedal : heel is clean , toe is rock......BUT the best part is still coming .....: between heel - toe , I get the best chunchy sounds !!!

My greatest concerns between the Axe-FX III and the FM3 are sound quality and what effects would be lost in the shuffle. It's going to be a while when I save up for either one. Maybe at that time, we will know more.

Sound quality is supposed to be identical-confirmed multiple times, both by FAS as well as those who have tried it.

Only some of the more esoteric effects will be removed, similar to the AX8.

Sound quality is supposed to be identical-confirmed multiple times, both by FAS as well as those who have tried it.

Only some of the more esoteric effects will be removed, similar to the AX8.
...So with that in mind, whichever unit is available when the funds are will be "The Winner" for me. It seems I win either way.

Eyes of the beholder...
Initially, the AFIII and FC12 was a heck of a lot easier than hauling three amps to gigs, plus the enormous pedal board and all the cabling. Now that the amps are a memory, the FAS bits are worlds more portable night after night versus the multiple guitars required. And speaking of Line 6, the Variax is a good concept, but never meets my periodically-recurring expectations.

I’m on the list for the FM3, but I’m thinking it’s for business travel and jam sessions at friends. I don’t think I can bring myself to leave the AFIII at home for a gig. Maybe I’m wrong - it happens all the time.

@biskitboy Is the Axe3 in a 4U shallow SKB case inside the Pedaltrain backpack? I can see the FC12 and expression pedals on top. Amazing that you got all that packed in there.

Back
Top Bottom