Axe-Fx III versus FM3?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Still using the ax8 live and am on the waitlist for the Fm3. Pros and cons of getting an FM3 and a controller versus just getting a III and a controller?

This is for live use. Also can the Ax III allow for a gained amp and different amp for solo's in an X scene and a gain amp with different clean amp in slot Y or whatever the new equivalent to the X/Y is now in the III?

Really depends on your needs. I upgraded from an Ax8 to a III and have no plans of looking back. It's just too powerful, and I have it in an easier to carry setup than I had my Ax8. The FM3 definitely fills a void though. If you are content with how your CPU usage is on the AX8 and feel you don't compromise your presets based on that, then the FM3 might be exactly what you need.

FM-3 + FC
Pros
  • Cheaper
  • Smaller - Easier to haul around
  • Basic controllability via 3 integrated buttons
  • FASLink2/FC support - Modular
Cons
  • Less processing power
  • Fewer blocks can be placed in a preset
  • Fewer connection options
  • Some block types will be missing
  • May be too limiting if you need a lot of power and flexibility
Axe III + FC
Pros
  • Most processing power in FAS product portfolio
  • Can build highly complex presets
  • Large array of connection options
  • All block types available for use
  • FASLink II support - modular
Cons
  • More expensive
  • Larger - More gear to haul around
  • Could be overkill if you do not need all of the power and flexibility offered
  • No ability to control remotely without purchasing a controller
Yes, you can have different “amps” in a single preset.

Axe III
The Axe III allows two amp blocks to be placed in a single preset. Each amp block has 4 channels. Each channel can be configured to use a different amp model (e.g. a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Marshall JCM 800). You can have up to 8 different amp models in a single preset.

FM-3
The FM-3 is still in development. There are different statements as to whether it will support one or two amp blocks. Either way the FM-3 amp block will support 4 channels just like the Axe III. So at minimum you will be able to use up to 4 different amp models in a single preset.

Last edited:
i suggest waiting for the FM3 to be released so we can see what it is capable of.
There you go, making sense again. :cool:
Besides, there's already a few threads with people who know exactly what it will or won't do. :rolleyes:

But yes, at least waiting for some actual hands-on reviews would seem to be the reasonable thing to do.

It’s supports a single amp block. Not sure where we are getting statements otherwise. An additional amp block would require oversampling quality reduction, which isn’t an option.

It’s supports a single amp block. Not sure where we are getting statements otherwise. An additional amp block would require oversampling quality reduction, which isn’t an option.
I said there have been conflicting statements (there have). Do not recall where (TGP, here?? Do not recall where I saw it) but a statement was made that two blocks might be a possibility.

That coupled with:
  1. A lot of requests for 2 amp blocks
  2. Greg (developer for the FM-3) saying “nothing is set in stone yet”
  3. Fractals long running history of pulling rabbits out of hats
All of the above factors led me to avoid making a deterministic statement of fact about one of the OPs primary questions. If you want to make a statement of fact that is your prerogative. This is an unreleased product after all whose firmware is still squarely in development.

Whether we get one or two amps blocks in the FM-3, my answer to the OPs specific question stands and is 100% accurate: he will have the ability to use different amp models for his clean and solo sounds.

The OPs questions centered around comparing and contrasting between the Axe III and the FM-3 (the thread title is “Axe III vs FM-3” after all). The way I approached my entire response was specifically to provide the compare and contrast he was seeking.

Last edited:
I said there have been conflicting statements (there have). Do not recall where (TGP, here?? Do not recall where I saw it) but a statement was made that two blocks might be a possibility.

That coupled with:
  1. A lot of requests for 2 amp blocks
  2. Greg (developer for the FM-3) saying “nothing is set in stone yet”
  3. Fractals long running history of pulling rabbits out of hats
All of the above factors led me to avoid making a deterministic statement of fact about one of the OPs primary questions. If you want to make a statement of fact that is your prerogative. This is an unreleased product after all whose firmware is still squarely in development.

Whether we get one or two amps blocks in the FM-3, my answer to the OPs specific question stands and is 100% accurate: he will have the ability to use different amp models for his clean and solo sounds.

The OPs questions centered around comparing and contrasting between the Axe III and the FM-3 (the thread title is “Axe III vs FM-3” after all). The way I answered the multiple amp question was specifically to provide the compare and contrast he was seeking.

The amp block channel switching is pretty darn fast now
To those that felt they need 2 amp blocks purely to change cleanly
I dont think channel switching is going to be a concern who knows by release date Cliff may have even looked at it again
So essentially you have access to 4 amps a preset

The amp block channel switching is pretty darn fast now
To those that felt they need 2 amp blocks purely to change cleanly
I dont think channel switching is going to be a concern who knows by release date Cliff may have even looked at it again
So essentially you have access to 4 amps a preset
I do not think that the reason people want two blocks is due to switching concerns. It seems to be more about running amps in parallel from what I have seen. One guy specifically called out an SRV type of setup with two different amps run in parallel.

I never said we needed two amp blocks in the FM-3. I was providing a compare and contrast answer to a compare and contrast question. The OPs question was “will I be able to use different amps for my clean and solo sounds?”. Regardless of how he does that, the answer is “yes” for both devices. My answer contrasts what the difference between the Axe III and FM-3 might look like once the FM-3 is released.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom