Axe-Fx III users: still use outboard effects?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I wonder how many of you still use outboard effects and which ones?
For me its a Whammy V pedal, love the tone of this thing, hate the size and weight.
I also sold my Mini Vent pedal and i regret that. It was instant Rotary heaven, no tweaking. I got too lazy dragging it to gigs and it always needed a separate power adapter.

I have a handful of fuzzes that I'll use in front of it occasionally, but I don't keep them there full time and I don't travel with them.

GAS was strong in me this summer while working abroad. This is what I ended up with:

Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah --> Mini Fuzz Face (Hendrix) --> Distortion Ltd. Treble Booster --> Gypsy Fuzz --> Fuzz War --> Big Russian Muff Fuzz --> Mudhoney II --> Keeley Monterey --> DS-1 Distortion --> Axe FX III

I'm pretty confident I will drop a few.

I ditched most of my pedals besides the Digitech drop and the Rocktron Hush. I am seriously considering getting a Eventide Eclipse for some of the ambient presets. I just don’t have time to try and recreate some of presets that they have like Blackhole, etc.

An EHX v256 vocoder: I haven’t messed around with the III’s vocoder yet, but I’d rather just plug my mic straight into the ehx rather than needing a preamp or running an insert from a mixer to get the mic signal up to a proper level. Plus the EHX has its own bit of synthesis built in. All of my patches are set to engage the EHX via midi on scene 8, so it’s always at hand when I want it.

I’ve also played around with a Rockett WTF and WMD Geiger Counter, as they get some pretty extreme textures. But they haven’t made it into my patches the way the EHX has.

I also have in/out 4 ready to use as a loop for a SuperEgo, Pigtronix Infinity looper, and H9 (for processing those two effects) on a separate pedalboard. Just at the exploration stage at this point. The H9 has some latency issues that causes a slight phasing on the dry signal, so I’m working out that loop being wet only.

Joe

It's gotta be a really unique effect for me to use anything outboard these days, since 99% of what's out there can be replicated in the Axe.

I've purged most of it except for a Zvex Machine and a Metasonix filter.

I've toyed with the idea of picking up an EHX Ravish Sitar.

I still use 3 on occasion--

Strymon El Cap--just easier to dial in than trying to copy on the III
H & K Rotosphere--still sounds better than the III's rotary
Fulltone OCD

Beatbuddy mini, to make backing tracks on the fly with the looper, when I’m jamming alone at home.

Record a bass track a long with the beatbuddy with the looper, and jam along on guitar afterwards. Simple but fun.

Line 6M9 for the looper since I can't seem to get the AXIII's looper block to work the same way.

I still use my Digitech Drop. The pitch shifter on the III is nice, but to my ears there's still a bit that's not quite "there" when going into lower tunings.

I also use a Strymon Deco. I don't think there's much else out there that does what it does.

I use a Cali76 with the Axe III. The punchy and transparent compression of the Cali has been unattainable in the box for me. I have a B7K but the Axe gets close enough and being able to use it multiband on bass was a revelation.

Back
Top Bottom