Axe-Fx III USB not recognized - W10 machine, tried cables/ports/other machines

SwigglesRP

Hey Fractal forum,

I just picked up an Axe-FX III (gen 1) yesterday from a previous user and virtually everything is perfection except this big issue.. I can't get it recognized by my W10 machine (completely updated as of Jan 12th 2021).. I owned an Axe FX II XL and used the same cable, uninstalled those old drivers, used new cables, every other port I have including USB 2 and 3 (non-hub and direct to computer).. And every time, I get this "USB device is not recognized" message. If I manually go into Device Manager, I can do an "Install Legacy Devices" install and manually pick the Axe-FX III driver.. but it gives me a Code 10: The device cannot start." issue. I've also done a lot of clean-up in Device Managers, shown hidden devices, automatic updates (it says it has the best one), and I've ever tried installing/uninstalling every older driver from the archives. The saving grace is that, the previous owner confirmed it worked perfectly on their Mac. Luckily I take that to mean my Axe is physically fine, and we just need to get it working in Windows.

I've gone through the forum and support posts and most of the fixes seemed resolved by things I tried to no avail. I've restarted in between updates, tried my other W10 Laptop with USB 2.0/3.0 slots, and at this point I sincerely don't know what's the matter.

I'm on Firmware: 14.01 and USB 1.06 Version which worries me, since I can't update the USB firmware without having some sort of connection.. As an absolute worse-case scenario I could find someone with a Mac, safely, to update my Axe-FX III's USB firmware and try again but that seems very inconvenient.

Any help that hasn't been covered yet is supremely appreciated!

Maybe that's why he sold it. He damaged the USB port.
As darkly hilarious as it would be, I did verify the seller is reasonable before and the port seems fine in every sense. Is my only other course testing it with more people's computers to see if it works? Everything worked perfectly across my old laptop and desktop with the 2XL.

Back
Top Bottom