Axe-Fx III USB I/O seems to disable Core Audio (Mac - more below)

=

I have the same problem on my win10 system. Until I saw what you said, I can finally make it sound again when the computer and fx3 are turned off at different times! Although I still don't know how to avoid this happening. . .
I aways power up the computer first.. then power up the Axe FX III and then plug it into to my Laptop... If it cuts out I just unplug the USB and plug it back in ....

While my computer is on and Logic open, I reconnected the USB from the Axe III and I'm happy to report that I get signal in/out of my computer.

This is how I solve this problem as well. I leave my computer on at all times, but I turn off the Axe FX III until I'm ready to use it. Once I turn it on I get no audio unless I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in again.

It's strange as I see Logic detecting the interface and making it available. But audio does not work until that USB cable is reinserted.

I wish there was a fix for this.

Also, for those having this problem I suggest using a USB hub as to not wear out the USB port in either your Mac or Axe FX III.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Brand new Fractal Audio customer here and had my FX III delivered on friday. I'm also experiencing the same issue as reported here where no audio output from the computer goes to the FXIII. I've tried the core audio trick but that didn't solve it for me either.

Will keep watching this thread to see if anyone has any answers.

Edit: Just tried a series of steps that seemed to work
1) In OSX, switch to another audio interface like macbook pro speakers
2) turn off Axe FX III
3) In your terminal, execute "sudo killall coreaudiod" (UPDATE: No longer needed this step! Just make sure you select internal speakers before power cycling axe)
4) Turn on Axe FX III
5) Once fully booted (this is key), then select Axe FX III

The nuance here is that if you don't first select another interface (like built in speakers) before turning off the AXE and killing core audio, OSX will select the Axe FXIII automatically before the AXE has fully booted and I think that might be where the problem lies.

Thanks!

Just reposting these steps because they work for me 100% of the time and do not require any physical unplugging/plugging in of the Axe. I think the issue is Apple. Also, I am not longer having to perform step #3 to kill coreaudiod.

FWIW, if you are using alfred, I created a workflow (attached here) that you can toggle between internal speakers and the Axe FX with a quick command. I also have my Apollo in the workflow too which you can delete if you want.

You just need to install this: https://github.com/deweller/switchaudio-osx via brew.

Attachments

• Switch Audio Source.zip
    770.1 KB · Views: 2
Hey wanted to share some good news. I haven’t had to remove my usb cord in a bit. So far, if I turn my axe fx on before opening daw (In my case Logic Pro). I have not had to unplug and replug the usb cord. Hope this helps with some of you

Back
Top Bottom