Axe-Fx III - upside down

sidsin

Inspired
Just a random OCD question - my unit was kept upside down overnight inside the rack while traveling. Should not be an issue right?

I thought your question would be running the unit live onstage ....upside down.

Any “downside” to that? ...pun intended

No issues as far as I know sideways.

Turned it on and played it for a bit - plays absolutely fine. If there was anything wrong, it would've been obvious right?
cables can come loose due to hard bumps, not simply being on the side or upside down. i put it on it's side or screen facing up often at gigs. no issues.

I wouldn't bother opening it up unless some other problem is noted.
Turned it on and played it for a bit - plays absolutely fine. If there was anything wrong, it would've been obvious right?
cables can come loose due to hard bumps, not simply being on the side or upside down. i put it on it's side or screen facing up often at gigs. no issues.
Just offering some advice. I check mine every few weeks and have only had one instance where a connector had moved from fully seated. Yes, if a cable were disconnected there would be an immediate issue. Only suggested because it was upside down during traveling, hence the possibility of jarring.

if you spin clockwise, and get dizzy... the fastest way to cancel out the dizziness is to spin counterclockwise

dizziness is the gateway drug?

Stranger Things. There are a lot of similarities here.
Tubes/Axe = The World/The Upside Down
Cliff=Axe , Eleven=The Upside Down
Therefore Cliff=Eleven ??

Last edited:
Traveling with it upside down isn't good for the tubes. I would take each one out and reseat them just to be safe. Especially the 1st preamp tube and the power tubes 😉.

I'm sure it is fine. I had similiar thoughts about having some electronics out in the cold overnight- but then thought about it. In my car, the build in electronics sit outside year round, including 10 and 100+ degree weather, go over thousands of potholes and they are just fine. Solid state is just that- solid. Nw tubes understanably need a little more care. If you hear any sound issues, have it checked out but one night should be fine. IMO condensation is a bigger concern e.g., having it out in a very cold car overnight, then bringing it into a warm room and turning it on right away- not good.

I studied Elec. Engineering. Depending on the specs., many components are tested to limits far beyond what they will ever see in simple transit or daily use (they do not want costly returns!). For military applications, you can more than triple the durability numbers. Electronics are routinely frozen, heated, shaken for days at a time on test benches, etc. Even auto components are "cycled" with actual counters (e.g., windshield wipers- avg. is about 2.5-3 million on modern cars). Manufacturer knows almost to the month when the compenant is likelty to fail aka planned obsolescence (hint, it is after the warranty period is over!). With these products though, if you take care of them (heat and humidity are the main factors), they will last a very long time. You will likely want to upgrade for your own reasons before they ever fail on you.

Back
Top Bottom