Axe FX III Tuner Accuracy

The best purchase (after the AFX3 or course) was my vintage 70’s Peterson Strobe tuner. Amazingly accurate.
As is the tuner on all the Fractal units I have ever owned.
I am sure there was a time when the Peterson was the best option. I am just not sure there is valid argument that it is better given current technology.

It would be nice if you could enter tunings you like into the III and then save the tuning preset as it were. Then you could load specific tuning presets when needed, tune, enjoy. A tuner might have 135 different tunings, but if I only ever use 4, then I don't need a big database of them. It would be nice to save some though, so you didn't have to keep a cheat sheet around.

Does anyone have examples of "sweeteners" they use for different genres of music? I'm curious how it works... if you're the only one in a band using a sweetener, aren't you basically just out of tune with everyone else?
They have sweeteners for instruments, so one for acoustic, electric, mandolin, etc.

I have a Strobostomp HD on my board after playing around with my buddies- he happened to have it set so that the tuner was always on and displaying while playing, and I really liked it- it's just a preference thing, and the Axe tuner is great, but it's worth it to me to have the separate screen displaying the tuning.

IMO, Peterson's 0.1 cent accuracy means nothing for guitar tuning. Tune any guitar string on any guitar, then tilt the guitar back and forth along the through-the-neck axis (holding it in any manner you prefer) and watch the tuner while you let a single note ring. Or pluck a string and watch what happens as it decays. Or fret a note, take your hand away, then fret it again at the same spot. This kind of accuracy may mean something for an instrument whose pitch is electronically generated with a stable control system. But a guitar? Having a tuner that is too sensitive can actually make it more difficult to tune.

Peterson's are great, but not great enough to purchase as a second with the tuner in the Axe III unless you really want a separate tuner on the floor. Just my opinion.

If you really want a tuning improvement, get a compensated nut.

IMO, Peterson's 0.1 cent accuracy means nothing for guitar tuning. Tune any guitar string on any guitar, then tilt the guitar back and forth along the through-the-neck axis (holding it in any manner you prefer) and watch the tuner while you let a single note ring. Or pluck a string and watch what happens as it decays. Or fret a note, take your hand away, then fret it again at the same spot. This kind of accuracy may mean something for an instrument whose pitch is electronically generated with a stable control system. But a guitar? Having a tuner that is too sensitive can actually make it more difficult to tune.

Peterson's are great, but not great enough to purchase as a second with the tuner in the Axe III unless you really want a separate tuner on the floor. Just my opinion.

Wow. I am really surprised that the accuracy isn't better than +- 0.1 cent. I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner which has a +- 0.02 cent accuracy. I would have thought the Peterson would be better.

EDIT : BTW - it is not hard at all to tune with the turbo tuner

Heck, you can throw out the tuning by more than that by just fretting ever slightly harder.

Wow. I am really surprised that the accuracy isn't better than +- 0.1 cent. I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner which has a +- 0.02 cent accuracy. I would have thought the Peterson would be better.

EDIT : BTW - it is not hard at all to tune with the turbo tuner
As long as it is easy to use, then awesome. I'd never fault something for being too accurate (or precise). But from my point of view, there is no practical difference between .5 cent and 0.000000001 cent when tuning or intonating a guitar.

What makes a huge difference for me is using a compensated nut, making the action at the first fret as low as possible, or moving the nut slightly towards the first fret. Any old tuner works well for me in this case, as I ultimately fine tune with my ears. I like both types of tuners.

As long as it is easy to use, then awesome. I'd never fault something for being too accurate (or precise). But from my point of view, there is no practical difference between .5 cent and 0.000000001 cent when tuning or intonating a guitar.

What makes a huge difference for me is using a compensated nut, making the action at the first fret as low as possible, or moving the nut slightly towards the first fret. Any old tuner works well for me in this case, as I ultimately fine tune with my ears. I like both types of tuners.
I agree 100%. Like I stated in an earlier post I use the Fractal tuner for tuning the guitar. I would only use the more accurate tuner for intonation. I willl have to look into the compensated nut. I havent heard a lot about them.

Exactly. No guitar can even physically be tuned that finely. Sure you might get the open strong to be .1 cent accurate, but I highly doubt the frets are that close especially past the 12th fret. On a 25” scale guitar the distance from the 12 to the 13 fret is .702” which means each cent is .178mm or just 17 microns per .1 cent. 17 microns is less than 1/1000 of an inch and I know no guitar is built with that level of accuracy. That’s supposedly how level a Plek will get the frets, but I can’t find any info on how accurate the crown to crown is. I doubt it’s within 1/1000”.
So a tuner might be that accurate no guitar is.

I would use the Peterson for intonating my guitar. For tuning I would use the Fractal tuner.
I think this is the best answer. Axe not good for intonation, use a strobe tuner. For everything else including the standard electric "sweetened tuning" (that I use) just use the Axe. For the record here are the offsets I use (and the most common). I am unaware of sweetened offsets for other instruments, I have only ever used these. They great for barre chords and open chords, they seem to make them slightly richer and deeper. I've never had an issue in single guitar bands, but I have slightly noticed the issue if I am playing with a second guitar player who is not using sweetened tuning. I wouldn't recommend that - if more than just 1 guitar player be sure everyone is using identical tuning. I haven't noticed it with bass using standard (or flat tuning) and me using sweetened. I am a fan of sweetened tuning, especially for hard rock. Just my two cents - use strobe tuner for intonation, Axe for everything else including sweetened. Be careful if you have more than 1 guitar player.

E1 = -2.3 cent
B2 = 0
G3 = 0
D4 = -0.4 Cent
A5 = -2.1 Cent
E6 = -2.3 Cent

Back
Top Bottom