Axe FX III Tuner Accuracy

Axe not good for intonation, use a strobe tuner.
Totally fine for intonation. You don't need a strobe tuner to intonate... If you use the method described by Rich at ibanezrules.com, you can easily set it with a basic tuner, and the Axe Fx tuner is very accurate.

The strobe wheel on the Axe seems every bit as accurate as my Strobostomp HD. Why do I still have a Peterson?

I play a lot of bass an my bass rig is basically just a 5 string bass right into my amp. Few non-strobe tuners do a passable job on low B strings. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly. No guitar can even physically be tuned that finely. Sure you might get the open strong to be .1 cent accurate, but I highly doubt the frets are that close especially past the 12th fret. On a 25” scale guitar the distance from the 12 to the 13 fret is .702” which means each cent is .178mm or just 17 microns per .1 cent. 17 microns is less than 1/1000 of an inch and I know no guitar is built with that level of accuracy. That’s supposedly how level a Plek will get the frets, but I can’t find any info on how accurate the crown to crown is. I doubt it’s within 1/1000”.
So a tuner might be that accurate no guitar is.

Absolutely spot on. 👍

I didn't say it would and I have no experience with sweetened tunings...

But that being said, I would guess it's because a wound string probably intonates differently.
Still don't get why that means different sweetening is needed.
Ever fret a 2 string chord at the second fret for example with the G and B string and one or the other are slightly off, even when your intonation is dead on?

sweetened tunings help to compensate for that, but I don’t know the reason why it happens. Cooper Carter talks about that in his masterclass. It takes 2 minutes to give it a try under tuner settings

Ever fret a 2 string chord at the second fret for example with the G and B string and one or the other are slightly off, even when your intonation is dead on?

sweetened tunings help to compensate for that, but I don’t know the reason why it happens. Cooper Carter talks about that in his masterclass. It takes 2 minutes to give it a try under tuner settings
The question was about why a different tuning would be required for a wound vs plain G string ;)

The question was about why a different tuning would be required for a wound vs plain G string ;)

Which comes down to sweetened tunings.
Man your busting my balls hard Unix lol.

Just sharing the fact that sweetened tunings actually help with any ill affect on intonation, when the intonation of the instrument itself is dead on.

Just sharing the fact that sweetened tunings actually help with any ill affect on intonation, when the intonation of the instrument itself is dead on.
Just trying to clarify. :)

I don't need sweetened tunings explained. I know what they're for... just never used them.

Do you have an answer to the actual question about wound vs plain G string requiring a different sweetened tuning?

Just block him. Ball busting stopped! 😇

Just trying to clarify. :)

I don't need sweetened tunings explained. I know what they're for... just never used them.

Do you have an answer to the actual question about wound vs plain G string requiring a different sweetened tuning?
That was never the question from the OP, its your off topic question ;)
Hows that for snarky lol?

No, i don't have an answer to your question, which should have its own post, and i don't use a wound G string.
I use sweetened tunings for bare wire.
A wound G string will yield better intonation, but i like my bare wire wide bends, vibrato, and pinch harmonics!

That was never the question from the OP, its your off topic question ;)
Hows that for snarky lol?

No, i don't have an answer to your question, which should have its own post, and i don't use a wound G string.
I use sweetened tunings for bare wire.
A wound G string will yield better intonation, but i like my bare wire wide bends, vibrato, and pinch harmonics!
The question doesn't have to be from the OP. You kept replying to posts about another question, which wasn't my question (it was from another poster). Try reading the thread in context. You might see the point.

I'm not being snarky. I'm trying to explain to you that your answers to a chain of posts were not answering the question asked in those posts.

The question doesn't have to be from the OP. You kept replying to posts about another question, which wasn't my question (it was from another poster). Try reading the thread in context. You might see the point.

I'm not being snarky. I'm trying to explain to you that your answers to a chain of posts were not answering the question asked in those posts.
The only question I was replying to was the original and not yours.

The last time I varied from the OP’s post, you called me out on it. You’re the only one who mentioned a wound G string lol.

it’s all good. Everyone has their own style, on how to answer questions.

Why would electric be different from acoustic? Apparently I need some education.
On electric the G string is wound. That would be my guess.
I think you mean the G string is not wound? It isn't on most electrics but some do use a wound string.
Yeah, I certainly wrote that backwards.
Still don't get why that means different sweetening is needed.
I didn't say it would and I have no experience with sweetened tunings...

But that being said, I would guess it's because a wound string probably intonates differently.

The only question I was replying to was the original and not yours.
I'll just leave this here.

I'm done with the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom