Axe FX III Tuner Accuracy

Now that's how you get snarky ;)

Thanks for your input.

I was trying to get resolve a question. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Please, feel free to to ignore me.
Joe answered it.

Wraps around Core mass when pressed in between the frets, yields slightly different tuning, especially on the lower frets.

I’m here to get support and offer it as well.

Joe answered it.

Wraps around Core mass when pressed in between the frets, yields slightly different tuning, especially on the lower frets.

I’m here to get support and offer it as well.
Thanks. That confirms what I was thinking.

On the original topic, did anyone ever bother to read about the implementation of the three different tuner types in the AXE3 as described by Cliff? I’m sure this information would be in the manual or on the wiki. Nevertheless it’s here on the forum.

I guarantee you can intonate correctly with the Axefx3.

On the original topic, did anyone ever bother to read about the implementation of the three different tuner types in the AXE3 as described by Cliff? I’m sure this information would be in the manual or on the wiki. Nevertheless it’s here on the forum.

I guarantee you can intonate correctly with the Axefx3.
Yes. Yes, the tuner is incredibly accurate, and I intonated 2 guitars against a Peterson and didnt need the Peterson. The AXE FX does a great job! Having said that, I used Cooper’s sweetened tunings in the AxE FX settings before and ever since intonation.

I think the sweetened tunings you see around here just lower the low e and lower the ebg strings a few cents simply because when you strum them they are most likely to get pulled sharp by the pick as they receive the most energy. I think that's all the magic they offer if any. What's the first thing you do after tuning? Play some chords. The common sweetened offset that goes around probably works well for anyone playing cowboy chords with some energy but all this talk about better intonation is either marketing or hearsay. The whole equal temperament problem cuts into any notion of a perfectly intonated guitar. The best you can do is when tracking, tune for a specific song if it's needed. Here's a good example of that.

I think the sweetened tunings you see around here just lower the low e and lower the ebg strings a few cents simply because when you strum them they are most likely to get pulled sharp by the pick as they receive the most energy. I think that's all the magic they offer if any. What's the first thing you do after tuning? Play some chords. The common sweetened offset that goes around probably works well for anyone playing cowboy chords with some energy but all this talk about better intonation is either marketing or hearsay. The whole equal temperament problem cuts into any notion of a perfectly intonated guitar. The best you can do is when tracking, tune for a specific song if it's needed. Here's a good example of that.

Yup, all the different sweetened or compensated are just various compromises that improve tuning for certain cases at the expense of others. Doesn't mean they're not useful to some folks, though.

Now if you want to be perfectly in tune on every string and every fret up the neck, there are those crazy squiggly fret guitars. I may be obsessive, but I'm thankfully not that crazy yet. :)

Yup, all the different sweetened or compensated are just various compromises that improve tuning for certain cases at the expense of others. Doesn't mean they're not useful to some folks, though.

Now if you want to be perfectly in tune on every string and every fret up the neck, there are those crazy squiggly fret guitars. I may be obsessive, but I'm thankfully not that crazy yet. :)

I wonder what playing one of those is like, whether I'd hate it.

As a 23 yr guitar tech I can tell you that I use a Peterson strobe tuner. But, I think the new Fractal line could do fine too for intonation. As mentioned, you are splitting hairs. I use a Peterson because it is a standard and got a good deal.

I use a Turbo tuner because it sounds better to me when the Turbo says it is in tune. The axe tuner is way better sounding than it used to be and I am happy to use it now but I still prefer the Turbo.

At the moment I have the Strobo Stomp on my FM9 board but I think I'm going to switch it out with the Turbo Tuner on my old FX8 board.
I find the native tuner in the fractal units to be a little lacking. It works fine for a 6 string guitar if you use one tuning per night. Yes, you can assign the "use offsets" toggle to the global performance page but it's still not enough.

I use three tunings per night depending on the songs in the sets.
  • Standard tuning with Buzz Feiten offsets
  • Drop D with Buzz Feiten offsets
  • Van Halen offsets
The tuner in the fractal does not account for 7 or 8 string guitars. Even though I'm using a 6 string, Drop D uses a 7 string tuning (I have the low D set as string 7 with more of a negative offset than the low E).
The fractal will certainly recognize a Low D but as most of us know if you tune to drop D straight up on a tuner the low D is always sharp. So using the Fractal tuner I have to guess just how flat I want to tune the string then check it by ear.

The Strobo Stomp and Turbo tuners both solve my first world problems. Like Andy said I just like the sound of the guitar after tuning with the Turbo...

Shoot, I have an SG where a VERY slight amount of force from your hand pushing on the back of the neck makes it sound like you have a trem on the thing. Incidentally, there is a trem on it, but that neck joint is so flimsy, a good strong fart will make it wobble.
👍🏻 yes, my sg does that too, it can be out if you put to much pressure on the neck.

For the rest I like to be out of tune, that’s rock n roll 🤣.

Joke appart, TO ME, you always need to harmonize your guitar by ears once you have used a tuner. Playing some chords to see if something weird happened … the tuner take the open string without pressure and this and that, so you can be perfectly in tune with your tuner and then playing a G chord that suck .

👍🏻 yes, my sg does that too, it can be out if you put to much pressure on the neck.

For the rest I like to be out of tune, that’s rock n roll 🤣.

Joke appart, TO ME, you always need to harmonize your guitar by ears once you have used a tuner. Playing some chords to see if something weird happened … the tuner take the open string without pressure and this and that, so you can be perfectly in tune with your tuner and then playing a G chord that suck .
Yea, it's crazy how flimsy that neck joint is. I've accepted it as just part of the nature of that guitar. It's probably the most expensive guitar I own on paper, but the least likely to hold tune.

Back
Top Bottom