Axe-Fx III to FC-12 vs. FC-6

honeypat

Inspired
What merits and demerit when Axe-Fx3 is paired with FC12 vs. FC6 pedal
Just burnt my FC6 inadverdant connecting to +48v phantom mic power,
I'm comtemplating to buy one of FC12 or FC6,which one best suit to my
Axe-Fx III. Please drop me a line for those FCs respective upside and downs.

I got an FC6 because I sat down and wrote out some notes on the exact kind of switching I needed to do on my presets and the 6 was able to do it all. If I had a 12 I’d have switches I wouldn’t need. That happened to me with the MFC-101. I assigned functions to switches just to have them do something and I never used them.

One of the most powerful things these controllers have is the per-preset functions. You can customize any preset in 24 different ways. I have never needed than 4 so far.

It really depends on what you need it to do. I do everything pretty much with scenes and was able to configure things for the 6. Mind you, I’ve always loved the look of a giant pedal and I almost got the 12 just for a cool look. But I just love my 6 and it’s so portable.

For me it came down to size, the FC-12 is simply too big for me. Would I rather have 12 switches? Who wouldn't? That said, I'm now to the point with the FC-6 that it would have been a waste to get the FC-12 because I've learned to use a lot of the features the FC platform offers that makes 6 switches more than enough and very intuitive.

Went with the 12, better to have and not need versus need and not have.

Not to mention I almost always use more than the 6 can show in one view. The size isn't that big of a deal for me, cabling is the same either way.

I had a 12, and sold it to get a pair of 6es:
20200717_142422.jpg

I bought the FC-6 because I play on a lot of cramped stages and didn't want to have to use a wider pedalboard. With the per-preset capability, as well being able to easily change views to see switches 7-12, I've had no preset that couldn't be easily handled with the FC-6.

Just curious, is there a typical switch setup folks use with an FC6?

Most of my presets have 4 levels of gain as scenes, with various effects added to the other 4 scenes. Lately that's been two cleans, with mild and strong chorus, and some sort of delay on the two higher gain scenes.

All that is so vanilla, that's what makes me think about more switches. I have hold on the bottom right switch take me to a modified version of the standard effects layout, where hold on most switches increments that effect's channel. Bottom right hold goes back to scenes.

What are you folks with a 6 doing?

Most of my presets have 4 levels of gain as scenes, with various effects added to the other 4 scenes. Lately that's been two cleans, with mild and strong chorus, and some sort of delay on the two higher gain scenes.

All that is so vanilla, that's what makes me think about more switches. I have hold on the bottom right switch take me to a modified version of the standard effects layout, where hold on most switches increments that effect's channel. Bottom right hold goes back to scenes.

For my basic setup that covers about 65% of what we play live, I use a scenes layout. Scene 1 a light crunch, scene 2 more gain, scene 3 lead (either more gain or a drive, plus a delay), scene 4 clean. That leaves two switches. I play around with what goes there. I’ve done a variation on the lead scene with a Plex delay on some dramatic settings.

I set up the top right switch so that a hold brings me to the tuner. The top left switch is set up so that a hold brings me to the preset layout.

Some other presets are more song specific, like if I need a pitch block to do some harmony parts, a very specific delay for the tempo of a song, or some dramatic effect.

In general I just don’t typically need more than 6 scenes to do what I need. Keeping the tuner and preset layout on a hold function works well for me. I’ve never found myself wishing they were on a separate switch.

I use the preset per song approach, making use of per-preset switches and layout links. Some songs I'll link to the effects layout, others will link to the scenes layout. I do have dedicated switches for Delay 1, Reverb 1, Drive 1, Scene Toggle 1/2 and a Control Switch assigned as an amp/solo boost in every preset. I also use a 2-button external switch to access the Presets and Scenes layouts. On the external switch, the Hold function of the Presets switch links to View 2 (Compatibility Mode) and the Scenes switch links to the Effects layout.

I use the preset per song approach, making use of per-preset switches and layout links. Some songs I'll link to the effects layout, others will link to the scenes layout. I do have dedicated switches for Delay 1, Reverb 1, Drive 1, Scene Toggle 1/2 and a Control Switch assigned as an amp/solo boost in every preset. I also use a 2-button external switch to access the Presets and Scenes layouts. On the external switch, the Hold function of the Presets switch links to View 2 (Compatibility Mode) and the Scenes switch links to the Effects layout.
I take a similar approach for songs, and between controllers and buttons, could probably get away with one FC6 if I needed to.

It's the 'kitchen sink' presets I built for my fave amps preset collection that use the most buttons, really.

I have FC #1 set up for bank/preset navigation and utility stuff (tuner access, etc.) and FC #2 set up as a dedicated effects and control switches panel, which kinda started on the two halves of the 12 before I switched to a pair of 6es to put my control pedals in the middle....

Back
Top Bottom