Third-Party MIDI Spec

Q) if the third party midi device asks for the bypass state of an effect id that is not in the preset/patch what happens?

I have a question about the checksum.

QUERY SCENE NAME (COMMAND 0EH)
Returns scene name.
Message format: F0 00 01 74 10 0E dd cs F7; where dd is desired scene.
To return the current scene name dd = 7F.
cs is the XOR checksum.
Returns: F0 00 01 74 10 0E dd dd dd … cs F7; where dd dd dd … is 32 characters of name.

So, if I want to request a scene name:
F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 cs F7

What would be cs?
I have tried the checksum of the previous string: F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 (cs = 7C)
and the checksum of the whole string without cs: F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 F7 (cs = 85)

None of them works. In return I only get 10 bytes without the 32 characters of the name.

The answer from the Axe-FX III is like this:

F0 00 01 74 10 64 0E 00 7F F7

Last edited:
I have a question about the checksum.

QUERY SCENE NAME (COMMAND 0EH)
Returns scene name.
Message format: F0 00 01 74 10 0E dd cs F7; where dd is desired scene.
To return the current scene name dd = 7F.
cs is the XOR checksum.
Returns: F0 00 01 74 10 0E dd dd dd … cs F7; where dd dd dd … is 32 characters of name.

So, if I want to request a scene name:
F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 cs F7

What would be cs?
I have tried the checksum of the previous string: F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 (cs = 7C)
and the checksum of the whole string without cs: F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 F7 (cs = 85)

None of them works. In return I only get 10 bytes without the 32 characters of the name.

The answer from the Axe-FX III is like this:
0xF0 0x0 0x1 0x74 0x10 0x64 0xE 0x0 0x7F 0xF7
Checksum is computed on the previous string : https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx...Ex#MIDI_SysEx:_calculating_the_SysEx_Checksum

Thank you! I was missing to add the F7.... I already did this with the Axe-FX II, a couple of years ago. How can I forget it?... It must be the age :rolleyes:

So, for the example above:

F0 ^ 00 ^ 01 ^ 74 ^ 10 ^ 0E ^ 01 = 9A
9A & F7 = 92

I send this sysex:
F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 92 F7

Is that correct? If it is, there must be another bug in my program.

the checksum for this message should be 1A
F0^00^01^74^10^0E^01
then with the result of that (9A)
9A AND with 7F = 1A
message becomes
F0 00 01 74 10 0E 01 1A F7
Correct! Thank you. Now I get the array with the Scene Name.
I was doing &F7, not &7F

Last edited:
@FractalAudio, thanks for sharing this doc!
Is it possible to get blocks BYPASS state and CC values assigned on this blocks(like effects bypass state in previous Axe Fx models)?
The document tells you everything that is "officially" possible over the MIDI interface for third parties, possibly (re)read it? Quick answer to your second point, no the CC numbers are not returned (even in the status dump response), although it might be a good "wish"...

The document tells you everything that is "officially" possible over the MIDI interface for third parties, possibly (re)read it? Quick answer to your second point, no the CC numbers are not returned (even in the status dump response), although it might be a good "wish"...
Yes, I see it is not described in docs, I mean maybe it is possible to add this feature.

I notice that "Multipurpose Response" (as referred to by previous systems aka XL+) is also in the protocol, but not in the document. I'm receiving it when I request Preset Name (and others).

also
in the doc v1.2 "QUERY PATCH NAME" - rename to "QUERY PRESET NAME"

Last edited:
You can be told a Program Change number when the preset changes
Setup/Midi Remote/Send MIDI PC - then set channel to send on.
But I agree it would be a good additional message to support.

I am also using the Send MIDI PC to capture a change of preset from the front panel and refresh its name at my pedalboard.

The Axe-FX II was also sending a CC when the Scene was changed from the front panel, but not the Axe-FX III. Now I don't know how to refresh the Scene Names at the pedalboard if the Scene is changed from the front panel.

Not a big issue, though. Sometimes I select presets from the front panel instead of the pedalboard, but I could avoid selecting the scene.

Last edited:
The Axe-FX II was also sending a CC when the Scene was changed from the front panel, but not the Axe-FX III. Now I don't know how to refresh the Scene Names at the pedalboard if the Scene is changed from the front panel.

Indeed, this is different than with the II. I'd love to have the III send Scene Change information to connected controllers.

I am also using the Send MIDI PC to capture a change of preset from the front panel and refresh its name at my pedalboard.

Not a big issue, though. Sometimes I select presets from the front panel instead of the pedalboard, but I could avoid selecting the scene.
The III doesn’t “push” like the II. It’s a client’s responsibility to poll the necessary information.

The III doesn’t “push” like the II. It’s a client’s responsibility to poll the necessary information.

Would it be feasible to add a "Send MIDI CC upon Scene Change" command, the equivalent of "Send MIDI PC" in MIDI/Remote?

Would it be feasible to add a "Send MIDI CC upon Scene Change" command, the equivalent of "Send MIDI PC" in MIDI/Remote?

Back
Top Bottom