Axe-Fx III standalone vs 4cm

Chriscwt1

Inspired
Hi Guys,

I am grappling with a dilemma and wondered if anyone could offer guidance born from experience.

I am currently using my Axe FXiii directly into the PA, utilising the amp & cab blocks as usual. It sounds awesome but the thing is, I also have a MESA Roadster half stack which now gathers dust (which seems a shame). Obviously, I could integrate the Axe FXiii and the MESA by means of the '4 cable method', eschewing the amp & cab models but making the most of the MESA. However, for someone of my technical limitations, reconfiguring the various presets for this is going to be a LOT of work and so I wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom on whether this would be worth the effort or whether the end result is likely to be a disappointment.

Any thoughts?

I agree with Chris. I personally would say it's a waste of time but it's your call. The axe fx is whatever you want it to be.

Thanks guys but, to be honest, I'm not sure that really helps a lot. I think I could have made that value judgment for myself...

Metallica and Def Leppard have decided to reduce their cartage, why would you be increasing your own?

The reality is, an amp can occasionally sound slightly better, in a perfect environment. Since that is not the norm, the tube amp often sounds significantly worse than its model.

It's a fools errand today in my experience. Your patrons will not notice or care, but your back will.

Thanks Luke - much appreciated. I just feel guilty leaving the MESA in storage and maybe I also miss the 'thump' in my back as the air hits, but I suspect you're right and I suppose it also makes little sense to discard the amp and cab blocks which make the Axe FXiii so awesome.

MESA Roadster and 4x12 anyone????

Thanks Luke - much appreciated. I just feel guilty leaving the MESA in storage and maybe I also miss the 'thump' in my back as the air hits, but I suspect you're right and I suppose it also makes little sense to discard the amp and cab blocks which make the Axe FXiii so awesome.

MESA Roadster and 4x12 anyone????

I sold off over 50 vintage and boutique amplifiers. It was hard breaking up with them, especially since I had built soundproof bunkers in my home for speaker cabinets, etc.

You can have both. I have a XiTone hooked up to Ouptut 1 and my JVM hooked up 4cm on Output 3, Output 4, and Input 4.

Input 1 is my guitar.

Your presets choose your rig:

Modelling/FRFR Presets
Input 1 > [Blocks 1...n] > Output 1

JVM/4CM Presets
Input 1 > [Pre FX] > Output 3 > Input 4 > [Post FX] > Output 4

I choose which configuration I am using simply by selecting a preset.

I sold off over 50 vintage and boutique amplifiers. It was hard breaking up with them, especially since I had built soundproof bunkers in my home for speaker cabinets, etc.
Wow! I get it though.... Times change, even if it took 60 years

Thanks guys but, to be honest, I'm not sure that really helps a lot. I think I could have made that value judgment for myself...
but that's really all it comes down to.

does the Axe direct fulfill your needs? if so, then no need to bring the amp. or do you want a real amp on stage for volume or familiarity or similar? you'll have to decide that, not us.

try it out. see if there is any additional benefit to using the real amp. many don't use a real amp, some do.

answers to "should i use a real amp" will range from "yes you definitely should" to "no you don't need to", so you'd still be in the same situation. or perhaps more of those who don't use an amp would happen to reply and it'd seem like you shouldn't, etc. really comes down to trying it and evaluating for yourself. some like it, some don't. just remember to have fun.

If you are so on the fence (been there myself) just get the Mesa out of storage take it home/rehearsal space. Take your current presets you use duplicate them somewhere else on the unit and set them up for 4 cable method and go to work at your own pace. You will still have you original presets to gig. Don't take anyone's word for it, otherwise you will always wonder. However I do agree with everyone else, on this thread.

Well.......if you bring out an amp it’s for you, not anyone else. No one ever came up to me after a gig and told me it would have been even better if I had an amp there. Band loves the fractal and listeners love it too.

As long as you have a backup plan for your live performance I would sell the amp. If something happens to the Axe III (from physical abuse) you will want another way to keep the show rolling, (maybe a second Axe?) The consistency that comes with the Axe III (not to mention the shared wealth of experienced users this forum provides access too) is worth every penny. "Real?" amp, pedal, cable, cabs... rigs will never sound the same as consistently as the Axe III.

You’re using the AF3 directly into the PA and you say it sounds awesome, right? There’s your answer. Keep it simple, sell the amp. I’ve got two combo amps that I will be selling too. They’re beautiful, but I don’t use them anymore. I’ve already sold a bunch of pedals, no need for them either.

I too had a Roadster. While it's a great amp, absolutely one of the most versatile, the Axe III is all I'll ever need. I have kept a couple of amps, one for its difficulty to find in the U.S.A., the other for sentimental reasons. You obviously are completely satisfied with the III so unless you need or foresee having a need for stage volume, I really wouldn't spend any time trying to incorporate it.

You might consider checking with some local venues and rent it when bands come in and need an amp. That amp and cab could easily fetch $100 for a night's gigs. I did this with a couple of my amps when a friend's band came to town on a fly date. Pretty popular venue here and instead of cash was able to get full access backstage. Met some pretty cool bands, saw a great show and got to hang out and talk with some really cool guys.

Back
Top Bottom