Axe-Fx III / SPDIF / Logic / Apollo Twin [SOLVED]

Briancch

Hello guys..

Searched on the forum about the issue I am having but can't find the right thread.

I was using XLR output of my Axe Fx III for recording mainly. But just wanted to try the SPDIF output lately. However, I can't hear anything (no input signal on UAD console) from either my monitor or Logic and get it work as it should be.

This is my setting and how I hook up the unit.

Axe Fx III SPDIF output to RCA/Toslink convertor
Toslink Cable output to Apollo Twin SPDIF Input
(The convertor should work because when I touch the RCA plug, the meter on my UAD Console is moving)

Axe FX III I/O setting
  • World Clock: SPDIF/AES IN
  • SPDIF/AES Select: SPDIF
  • SPDIF/AES Out Source: INPUT 1
  • Input 1 Config: Analog

Apollo Twin UAD Console
  • Sample rate 48khz
  • Clock: S/PDIF (If I set the Clock as "Internal", there is huge noise from the monitor)
  • S/PDIF L/R input is 9/10

DAW: Logic
  • Buffer size set to 256
  • Input set for 9-10

I got 2 Axe FX III for testing and the same issue occur, So I believe it must be my wrong setting in I/O rather than hardware issue.
Can anyone help :D

Thanks!!

I am waiting on the delivery of a converter and will be doing this myself soon. I mention that as the following comments are pure speculation on my part and I cannot verify for now. What I noticed from your description above:

• you have nothing connected to SPDIF In on Axe so shouldn't the word clock be set to Internal ?
  • the SPDIF/AES Out Source is set to Input 1. Should that be set to output 1 (or another Axe Output) ?

Again, just my best guesses. I am interested in this thread as I will be trying SPDIF as well.

I am waiting on the delivery of a converter and will be doing this myself soon. I mention that as the following comments are pure speculation on my part and I cannot verify for now. What I noticed from your description above:

• you have nothing connected to SPDIF In on Axe so shouldn't the word clock be set to Internal ?
  • the SPDIF/AES Out Source is set to Input 1. Should that be set to output 1 (or another Axe Output) ?

Again, just my best guesses. I am interested in this thread as I will be trying SPDIF as well.
Hey MikeD..

I tried that too but no luck :p

cheers!

Check that the Axe FX3, The Apollo, the OS (Audio/Midi) and Logic (project settings) and are all set to the same clock source and 48k sample rate. There shouldn't be any "Huge noise from the monitor" if the clock gets set to Internal: Something isn't right. Apollo/Console default to Internal If the clock can't get a SPDIF lock from the Axe or other device: Apollo Console will blink red and reset itself to Internal on the SPDIF disclosure at the bottom of the Console Page.

The Console and Axe Edit Screen Captures look Ok, but the Axe FX3: SPDIF Out is set to Input which will give you a DI: set it to Output 1 for the full processing.

Other less likely possibilities are that one of the cables or the Toslink/Coax box is dodgy. Good luck.

Check that the Axe FX3, The Apollo, the OS (Audio/Midi) and Logic (project settings) and are all set to the same clock source and 48k sample rate. There shouldn't be any "Huge noise from the monitor" if the clock gets set to Internal: Something isn't right. Apollo/Console default to Internal If the clock can't get a SPDIF lock from the Axe or other device: Apollo Console will blink red and reset itself to Internal on the SPDIF disclosure at the bottom of the Console Page.

The Console and Axe Edit Screen Captures look Ok, but the Axe FX3: SPDIF Out is set to Input which will give you a DI: set it to Output 1 for the full processing.

Other less likely possibilities are that one of the cables or the Toslink/Coax box is dodgy. Good luck.
This..!

The Axe-FX "word clock" parameter needs to be set to "internal" if you aren't sending a signal to the Axe-FX SPDIF or AES input.

That's the wrong type of converter. The right kind (Coaxial SPDIF to Toslink) would be digital to digital, not analog to digital.

Back
Top Bottom