Axe-Fx III sounds thin, tinny, and anemic -- Power Amp?

That’s because they are in and weak on stage it’s all solid state even your power amp, I love mine too in the bedroom and in the studio but I don’t know a sound man alive that likes dealing with putting an Sm57 in front of a cab
I tried using it out one time and the house sound pulled the direct line out and then had me kill the ambient FX, reverb, multi tap ect..all the stuff that makes it sound incredible at home just makes mush in a live mix Forget about stereo

so that leaves you with the amp sims and set effects that are not controlled off stage, Flanger, Delay. Ect
Which makes it sound and tinny like a solid-state mono unaffected amp will sound

I still use it a great deal but I went back to tube amps and stomp boxes for live use
I know some guys keep this in their rack and use the effects but I already own pretty much everything you can step on so I prefer the real deal
I would have told that "sound man" to go pound sand!:cool: And I always run stereo too.

I would have told that "sound man" to go pound sand!:cool: And I always run stereo too.
Me too, always stereo, and never ever had a single issue of any kind. It always just sounds incredible, not only to me but the sound guy, and anyone in the FOH area that is remotely clued up enough to notice. I guess it’s just how well you set up your presets that counts for a lot.

First off, I love my Axe-Fx!! It is something I have wanted for such a long time and the people at Fractal and this community have been awesome!

I have searched the web and the forum to see if I could not correct my problem, but could not find a solution after trying a bunch of suggestions.

The problem is that all of the patches I try sound thin and tinny.

First my setup and then I will let you know what I tried:

Guitar ----> [ AXE FX III ] -- Main Mono/L Out to Input A on Matrix Amp --> [ Matrix GT800FX: Set to Bridged Mode] --- Matrix Output X to 8 ohm Input of Mesa 2 x 12 ---> [ MESA ]

If I use just headphones it sounds great! So, I know it's not the Axe FX. Here is what I tried:

1. Checked to ensure power amp modeling is enabled (turning it off -- sounded worse)
2. Turned Cab Sim off -- not better or worse, just different but still thin and tinny
3. Cranked the Matrix volume to around the 2'oclock position (read that you may need to crank it up to make it sound good). Same bad sound, just louder.
4. Stereo enabled in global settings (tried other combinations -- no difference).
5. Tried different guitars (even though it sounded good through headphones) -- still no good.

Unfortunately, I don't own another power amp. I have read that you can get a dud Matrix -- I bought mine brand new. All the connectors are high quality (e.g.: Neutrik, Mogami).

Any help would be
This issue sounds familiar. Probably a phase issue either with the cab/speakers or the power amp.

This issue sounds familiar. Probably a phase issue either with the cab/speakers or the power amp.
Yes, and obviously setting the presets to work with the cabinet properly (impedance curve). if the Axe doesn’t know what cabinet it’s ‘talking’ to, then of course it’s going to sound flat and anaemic. You need to make it wake up and that’s important.

Guitar ----> [ AXE FX III ] -- Main Mono/L Out to Input A on Matrix Amp --> [ Matrix GT800FX: Set to Bridged Mode] --- Matrix Output X to 8 ohm Input of Mesa 2 x 12 ---> [ MESA ]
If you are piping your sound through a Mesa 2×12, and you are using the cab block too, then it will sound thin and sad. Try going into a FRFR speaker.

Back
Top Bottom