AFIII Axe-Fx III sounds great via monitors and speakers- recording with any software via USB it has crackling / oversaturated sound quality

zif5150

I've already done research, adjusted the input volume for my guitar, etc but no matter what I do I can't get any audio recording program to record good clips without a harsh almost over-saturated audio from the axe fx. I've looked at the usb output settings, global settings, etc but nothing I change affects things. I'm reduced to taking video with my phone - please send help.

I've always opted to use the stereo outs on mine for recording (into an interface like a Focusrite Solo) because the USB stuff always gets weird depending on my CPU cycles and other things going on in the PC. It sounds to me like your issue is the computer is overtasked and it's mucking the signal. Have you tried going into a sound interface instead?

thanks for the reply. I was hoping the axe could just record via USB without a thirdparty interface - it sounds great on its own. I have a high end homebuilt computer with 32gb of ram, latest and greatest i7 CPU, SSD, etc. No way that is the bottleneck.

thanks for the reply. I was hoping the axe could just record via USB without a thirdparty interface - it sounds great on its own. I have a high end homebuilt computer with 32gb of ram, latest and greatest i7 CPU, SSD, etc. No way that is the bottleneck.
I am a total amateur, however the few times I have recorded with my FX III trough Reaper, I have not had any issues. I too have a Dell XPS with 32 GB of Ram, and SSD and an i9 processor. Not sure if I am missing your point, but I would guess you have to use a DAW. Reaper is free, BTW.

I dialed the usb output, main, and the patch volumes back. What kills me is you dont hear it when playing, or when recording via a phone etc. It's only when using the Axe as the recording device.
There is a setting in Reaper to allow you to monitor what you are recording, in other words to hear it through the speakers as you are recording. I am not sure that is exactly what you are referring to, but I thought I would mention that.

There is a setting in Reaper to allow you to monitor what you are recording, in other words to hear it through the speakers as you are recording. I am not sure that is exactly what you are referring to, but I thought I would mention that.

I get the same result in Audacity, Reaper and other recording apps. Thanks for the help tho, appreciate it! :)

I am a total amateur, however the few times I have recorded with my FX III trough Reaper, I have not had any issues. I too have a Dell XPS with 32 GB of Ram, and SSD and an i9 processor. Not sure if I am missing your point, but I would guess you have to use a DAW. Reaper is free, BTW.
It's free only if you decide not to pay for it. You can use it indefinitely for as long as you want, but the price is something like $60 - well worth it and just compensation for their effort.

I've already done research, adjusted the input volume for my guitar, etc but no matter what I do I can't get any audio recording program to record good clips without a harsh almost over-saturated audio from the axe fx. I've looked at the usb output settings, global settings, etc but nothing I change affects things. I'm reduced to taking video with my phone - please send help.

Your DAW should show how hot the input signal is in each track. Is it redlinings?

I have this (or similar) same issue and was considering starting a thread but was looking around and reading (especially on fm3 boards)

• It does not appear to be a volume problem
  • It does not appear to be clipping it just make digital artifacts such as popping or clicking noises randomly -- especially heard on sustained chords
  • it does not appear on the exported recorded audio or playback once DAW is closed or a different interface is selected
  • it's only when using as a usb interface (or at least seems to be, I haven't tested into my other interface but have played it live and do not hear them)
  • the DAW and axefx are matched at 48khz - I downloaded a template from the forum here to make sure.
  • cpu on presets are all 40-60% (if not less)
  • happens on multiple presets - so couldn't pin down a "block" issue - unless its amp/cab or in/out
  • happens even if this is the ONLY track in the DAW (no plugins, busses, etc)
  • happens when "monitoring" is on.
  • no usb hub - usb cables (bought one long, one short) purchased from BTPA

tried a few different buffer levels - didn't seem to fix issue - happens at 32 happens at 128, etc (haven't tried ALL of them)

I am routing it through my computer speakers at the moment, as I recently sold my monitors and am waiting on a new pair - but can try montioring through keyboard amp or PA while doing the recording to see if the sound happens anywhere "not on the machine" when using USB (again, haven't ruled this out, haven't tried it yet)

Using logic pro X on iMac Pro for reference - so I should definitely be able to use the usb device with one track, without a buffer issue right?

I tried to record the noises but on my iPhone they sound weird. I can crank the speakers and re-record then upload the video if anyone thinks it would help.

didnt know if there was any other advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi cr0ss,
Are you able to check the sampling rate? This is a classic symptom of incorrect sampling rate between Axe FX and PC.
Thanks
Pauly

I have this (or similar) same issue and was considering starting a thread but was looking around and reading (especially on fm3 boards)

• It does not appear to be a volume problem
  • It does not appear to be clipping it just make digital artifacts such as popping or clicking noises randomly -- especially heard on sustained chords
  • it does not appear on the exported recorded audio or playback once DAW is closed or a different interface is selected
  • it's only when using as a usb interface (or at least seems to be, I haven't tested into my other interface but have played it live and do not hear them)
  • the DAW and axefx are matched at 48khz - I downloaded a template from the forum here to make sure.
  • cpu on presets are all 40-60% (if not less)
  • happens on multiple presets - so couldn't pin down a "block" issue - unless its amp/cab or in/out
  • happens even if this is the ONLY track in the DAW (no plugins, busses, etc)
  • happens when "monitoring" is on.

tried a few different buffer levels - didn't seem to fix issue - happens at 32 happens at 128, etc (haven't tried ALL of them)

I am routing it through my computer speakers at the moment, as I recently sold my monitors and am waiting on a new pair - but can try montioring through keyboard amp or PA while doing the recording to see if the sound happens anywhere "not on the machine" when using USB (again, haven't ruled this out, haven't tried it yet)

Using logic pro X on iMac Pro for reference - so I should definitely be able to use the usb device with one track, without a buffer issue right?

I tried to record the noises but on my iPhone they sound weird. I can crank the speakers and re-record then upload the video if anyone thinks it would help.

didnt know if there was any other advice?

Hi cr0ss,
Are you able to check the sampling rate? This is a classic symptom of incorrect sampling rate between Axe FX and PC.
Thanks
Pauly

I 100% agree with this comment and this is the first thing that I checked and listed in my diagnosis dots :)

Both are 48kHz - unless logic has another place to change this other than File > Project Settings > Audio [?] that I am unaware of. Further, my "External Headphones" is also set to 48kHz - routing to AxeFx as input and "External Headphones" as output - trying to look at the whole loop.

Also I'm new here so take this with a grain of salt but just from researching device to buy I saw there were some issues with FM3 when they were first released with USB audio. Do you have the latest firmware installed?

Can you paste the recorded wave files here then we can look into it deeply?

Also I'm new here so take this with a grain of salt but just from researching device to buy I saw there were some issues with FM3 when they were first released with USB audio. Do you have the latest firmware installed?

Both of these issue (mine and OP) were with AXEFX III - I was just referencing FM3 as that forum has similar posts when I jumped on board with this thread.

My Axe is brand new and, according to AxeEdit, came with/has 15.01 firmware currently.

It would definitely be useful to hear an audio sample of what you're talking about. Perhaps a comparison between what you hear when you record the audio via USB, as well as the same thing recorded via some other mechanism?

Can you post a pic of the I/O -> Audio -> Digital I/O Configuration Tab? Is there a chance that you've mapped the USB output to Output 2, and that Output 2 is at a point in your chain where there is no Cab?

It sounds unlikely, but perhaps try a different USB cable? Are you connected via any sort of USB hub? If so perhaps go direct to the ports on the motherboard instead?

Failing all that, I'd contact support and see if they can help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom