Axe-Fx III sounds anemic

maorgr

Inspired
Hello,

Disclaimer: I am totally clueless in operating the axe fx 3 beyond selecting presents, importing presets, updating firmware and the various utterly basic procedures. I am not a sound engineering. I am just a semi mediocre guitar player playing for recreational purposes.

my setup is very basic - guitar - > fx 3 -> DT990 pro headphone.

My main issue is that the sound that *I* hear when playing is very very anemic, metallic bassless - as it was flat. I have never managed to get the warm in the sound, like many many people here post.
I can't help on wondering what am I doing wrong here, is there anything I am missing ?

I have come to a point where I could really use some help - free or with pay.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Do your headphones work properly? Jiggle the connection and make sure you’re hearing both sides as intended.

Do you have another speaker to try it with?

Hi Maorger,

That should sound fine as those headphones are ok.

Maybe start with something like the Bassguy 65 factory preset, so you know how it should sound, and;
Choose Setup, then 'Global Settings', then press the Enter button and;
- make sure 'Power Amp Modelling' is ON
- Make sure 'Cabinet Modelling' is ACTIVE
Press the HOME button.
Choose Setup, then I/O, then press the Enter button. Then use the PAGE >> button to select the AUDIO tab, and;
- Use the NAV buttons to scroll down to MODE - Make sure it's set to STEREO. (There's 4 MODE setting, one for each output - do them all - why not.
Press the HOME button

Now - if your AXE FX III doesn't sound like a 1965 Bassman, something is up - like the headphone connector or cables, or your guitar lead.

Anyway - Hope that helps - Let us know how you go.
Thanks
Pauly

PS: Welcome to the 'Mediocre players' club :)

Hello,

Disclaimer: I am totally clueless in operating the axe fx 3 beyond selecting presents, importing presets, updating firmware and the various utterly basic procedures. I am not a sound engineering. I am just a semi mediocre guitar player playing for recreational purposes.

My main issue is that the sound that *I* hear when playing is very very anemic, metallic bassless - as it was flat. I have never managed to get the warm in the sound, like many many people here post.
I can't help on wondering what am I doing wrong here, is there anything I am missing ?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Please post a sample, as this is similar to asking how to give soup that tastes bland more flavor. A sample will provide a clear example of what you mean by anemic, bassless and flat. In general, there are a lot of ways to beef up a thin tone, but anemic and flat are relative terms.

Last edited:
what kind of guitar? Are you familiar with it in combination with other equipment?
Are you sure its electronics are working properly (pickups, pots, tone cap, wiring)?
Is the cable good?

Is the input level set correctly? (I understand it has to be set quite high for weak single coils)

Last edited:
Exception: Input Level below 5% affects gain. This is mentioned in the manual.

I’d put my money on either power amp sims disabled, cab sims disabled, or IR not loaded in cab block. Go to you cab block, change IRs and make sure you can hear a difference to check. Power amp sims will be a global setting.

If everything is working correctly and you still need more fatness and warmth, raise the master volume parameter in the amp block maybe, turning down level to compensate

I have never managed to get a good sound through headphones, I find it sounds just as you just described, lacks low end too "direct sounding".

It sounds glorious through my studio monitors or at rehearsal though. Maybe try it with some speakers if you can.

Yeah, I get fantastic sound through headphones.. but ya gotta have good phones, and a headphone amp helps too. Obviously it’s never going to be as good as cranking it up thru speakers due to the physics of the physical interaction between speakers & strings/pickups. You’re going to loose that sustain & feedback we all love, but just based on tone & imaging a good set of headphones should get ya 90-95% there & transfer over fairly accurately.

Back
Top Bottom