Axe-Fx III Sound System Advice

danepower

I am in the process of ordering an FX 3, but am having trouble choosing the speakers/FRFR/cabinet. I want to use the fractal to it’s full potential, but also want to only spend about $300 on the sound solution. Is this possible?

There is second hand stuff.
Depends if you're looking for single speaker or stereo.

You CAN find something in that range for single speaker.

At that price point, however, probably talking lower end. Or something used maybe.

I'd look on Reverb first for used FRFR.

Studio monitors are typically the same general price points as decent FRFR, and way higher.

A small PA system, a la Bose, is also an option.
It does sound great with headphones though. So you can take your time.

As someone who made the mistake of buying both cheap studio monitors and a cheap FRFR cab initially, I think you’re better off in the long run not skimping. I’d rather play with headphones until I could get a decent pair of monitors. Maybe a pair of used Adam A7X, Yamaha HS8, something like that.

How are the HeadRush fr108 and fr112?
They are right at the very bottom end of powered monitor cabinets. You get what you pay for.

In all seriousness, pairing the AxeFX III with those monitors is putting a top-tier world-class product into a bargain-basement entry-level cabinet. IMO, that's a serious mismatch, and you will find out rather quickly that those speakers will not do the AF3 justice.

Put another way, it's akin to buying a brand new Ferrari and putting retread tires on it.

I have used all kinds of ridiculous things for monitors like the effects return on a keyboard amp and the Headrush that people are hating on, and I've always thought that the fractal stuff still shines through on less than optimal systems. I honestly don't mind the headrush at all, it can be a bit boomy so I wouldn't use it in place of a 4x12 for heavy music, but if it's for personal monitoring it's fine. I know that if my headrush mix isn't boomy, then my FOH won't be either, and I've never felt the FOH sounds thin

I have used all kinds of ridiculous things for monitors like the effects return on a keyboard amp and the Headrush that people are hating on, and I've always thought that the fractal stuff still shines through on less than optimal systems. I honestly don't mind the headrush at all, it can be a bit boomy so I wouldn't use it in place of a 4x12 for heavy music, but if it's for personal monitoring it's fine. I know that if my headrush mix isn't boomy, then my FOH won't be either, and I've never felt the FOH sounds thin
I second that. From a guy who has quite a few 412’s. good recording gear and monitors, and uses a rather robust IEM, the Headrush 112 is a pretty decent deal and sound for its cost. I use it frequently in my guitar room and at rehearsals from time to time. Global EQ will easily tame any harsh highs or boomy lows.

I am in the process of ordering an FX 3, but am having trouble choosing the speakers/FRFR/cabinet. I want to use the fractal to it’s full potential, but also want to only spend about $300 on the sound solution. Is this possible?
It's like buying a custom shop Les Paul and not having any cash to buy a new set of strings... Just get one good PA speaker initially, and later on add a second one

QSC K12\K10
Yamaha DXR12\10

Kali Audio LP-6. Imho best budget monitors. At least among that big amount that I've tried. Bought them and no regret at all. I guess they will get into 300$ range.

What do you have now? anything? try what you have now until you can purchase something nice. you may want to try it with some of your buddies gear and see what works.

Hi danepower,
If you could save a little more money, it will pay off in the long run. Your monitors are one of the most important things you can buy, and skimping on them will make all your hand made presets a little dodgy (because they will be crafted to sound good on crappy monitors). Really - you will be doing yourself a favor if you purchase good monitors first.
Thanks
Pauly

As someone who made the mistake of buying both cheap studio monitors and a cheap FRFR cab initially, I think you’re better off in the long run not skimping. I’d rather play with headphones until I could get a decent pair of monitors. Maybe a pair of used Adam A7X, Yamaha HS8, something like that.

Hi danepower,
If you could save a little more money, it will pay off in the long run. Your monitors are one of the most important things you can buy, and skimping on them will make all your hand made presets a little dodgy (because they will be crafted to sound good on crappy monitors). Really - you will be doing yourself a favor if you purchase good monitors first.
Thanks
Pauly

I‘d completely agree. I skimped on monitors initially and when I upgraded to some A7X’s the difference was unreal. I know it’s not easy, especially in these times, when you’ve dropped a lot of money already, but it’s well worth the investment.

I didn't put thought into accessories (FRFR, FC system, Exp pedals, cables, cases) before I got the FX3.
I used headphones for some time before I got a monitor, and I'm not a fan of playing with headphones.

While it is a shame to get the best modeler on Earth, and pair it with the cheapest speakers, it's also nice to be able to hear the modeler. :)

Best route aside from saving up is probably one single second-hand, quality, powered monitor from eBay or Reverb, etc.
Then add the other later. That's my .02

I went through many different powered speakers (finally have 3 Atomic CLRs that I'm very happy with). First ones where I felt like I was hearing what I wanted to hear were RCF NX12 which was great, but very directional. Also had a little more sheen than CLR. The best cheap solution I found was some used RCF 310a's. If you can find one of those (good luck), they're great for the $. That's said, I agree with others. With any $300 solution I know of, it's like putting a Yugo transmission in a Ferrari. You'll never know what it can really do.

Back
Top Bottom