Axe-Fx III settings with Headphones

MojoBodies

Inspired
I'm happy with sound out of my Axe III I'm getting through my 2x12 cab/poweramp. The sound I'm getting with a pair of Electro-Voice ZLX-12P is not perfect but its not bad but I'm unhappy with sounds I'm getting through my headphones. Perhaps I need to tweak Axe settings more for headphone or maybe my headphones just won't cut it. I'm using Sennheiser HD280PRO Closed-Back Headphones. I'm using AustinBuddy's Naked Amp presets if that helps with any ideas on tweaking.

This is a 2 part question.
1. How do you tweak your setting to make the Axe sound better through headphones?
2. What headphones do you recommend around $200 or less?

Headphone%2BChart.jpg

The goal of course is to be a flat line, your lime green line shows all of your peak and valley issues you'd need to correct for.

You'd setup an output EQ where you counter the peaks and valleys. @60hz you'd go -5db, etc.

Headphone%2BChart.jpg

The goal of course is to be a flat line, your lime green line shows all of your peak and valley issues you'd need to correct for.

You'd setup an output EQ where you counter the peaks and valleys. @60hz you'd go -5db, etc.
Where did you get that? I wanna look up my DT880s

Yeah, thanks from me too. I’ve never been happy with any gainier tones with my 880’s. I was wondering if it’s possible to have an global eq only for the headphones if I’m also using output 1 for my monitors?
Nope... Headphones and Output 1 are physically linked... But you could use a different Output for monitors.

Nope... Headphones and Output 1 are physically linked... But you could use a different Output for monitors.

Thanks for that, what I thought.
I tried using the rtings graph to make some eq adjustments and it helped a bit, but still not great.
I get a similar fizziness to some grainier sounds when I have the volume low on my monitors. Cranking the output for the headphones did help, but was painfully loud.

I was thinking about trying 880’s but maybe not now. The Blue Mix-Fi looks interesting and I see I can get them used for $99. I haven't tried my Sony WH-1000XM3 I use for travel but I don't expect great results from them. I don't mind creating a few presets primarily for headphone practice so dialing in Room parameters and adding reverb sound like good tips. Thanks everyone for your help.

I was thinking about trying 880’s but maybe not now. The Blue Mix-Fi looks interesting and I see I can get them used for $99. I haven't tried my Sony WH-1000XM3 I use for travel but I don't expect great results from them. I don't mind creating a few presets primarily for headphone practice so dialing in Room parameters and adding reverb sound like good tips. Thanks everyone for your help.
FWIW I love my 880s and I believe Cliff used to recommend them. Like others have said, you need a little verb, even the room parameter in the cab block can make a sound come alive.

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and while they're good for mixing, the Sennheiser HD600's are far more neutral and balanced. The 280's lacked low-end to my ears and I'm not nearly as satisfied when used in conjunction with the Axe-Fx. The Sennheiser HD600's have been around for over 2 decades and are still considered an industry standard. I'd rate the HD600's superior to any other headphones in their price range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom