Axe-Fx III Running Temp?

Precedence: the fact of coming or occurring earlier in time. If there is precedence for something it means it’s happened before. Not that it has to happen every time.
hmm. there's the concept of "importance" missing from that definition. precedence doesn't just concern something happening at any ol' point in the past. it is also deemed important enough to be used in the future as a basis.

prec·e·dence - /ˈpresədəns,prēˈsēdns/ - noun
the condition of being considered more important than someone or something else; priority in importance, order, or rank.

Definition of set a precedent. : to decide something that will be used as an example or rule to be followed in the future The ruling in the case is likely to set a precedent for how future cases are decided.

i can't just say "oh someone somewhere put a .300 gauge string on their guitar one day , so that's how guitars work."

hmm. there's the concept of "importance" missing from that definition. precedence doesn't just concern something happening at any ol' point in the past. it is also deemed important enough to be used in the future as a basis.

prec·e·dence - /ˈpresədəns,prēˈsēdns/ - noun
the condition of being considered more important than someone or something else; priority in importance, order, or rank.

Definition of set a precedent. : to decide something that will be used as an example or rule to be followed in the future The ruling in the case is likely to set a precedent for how future cases are decided.

i can't just say "oh someone somewhere put a .300 gauge string on their guitar one day , so that's how guitars work."
now you're just being argumentative, Chris

Just for information sake. If the AFXIII gets too hot it will reboot. I had an instance last summer while playing at a Harley dealer. Summer scorching day in Florida set up in a parking lot with no shade for my rack, the AFX would reboot every 3 minutes. Now I take extreme measures to make sure the rack is shaded with a fan aimed at it. I have also made a new top panel with a 4" fan aimed at the cpu for good measure. It now has quite a bit of air flow coming out of the side vents. I use a 4 space blow molded rack set on end with several large holes cut out of the sides so hot air can escape.

IMG_3190.jpg

i'm really not. if you define something incorrectly as the basis of a previous statement, i'm allowed to respond to that inaccurate definition.

or am i not allowed to. oh man. not again. i'm not allowed.

Dictionary.com: Precendent;
adjective pre·ce·dent [pri-seed-nt, pres-i-duh nt] /prɪˈsid nt, ˈprɛs ɪ dənt/
going or coming before; preceding; anterior.
Vocabulary.com: Precedent:
a subject mentioned earlier (preceding in time)
Cambridge DIctionary: Precedent:
[ C ] an action, situation, or decision that has already happened and can be used as areason why a similar action or decision should be performed or made:

I know my intent, you chose to cherry pick a different definition to argue with me, then tell me I'm defining something incorrectlyo_O. I wasn't even replying to you initially.

The definition Chris posted is the common vernacular.

Your own post includes the same:
Yup, which was my point. Another popular MI product reports its temperature, so it’s not like the OP’s request is a new idea. It’s been done before. I wasn’t saying every MI product should therefore report its temperatures because the Ox does.

Yup, which was my point. Another popular MI product reports its temperature, so it’s not like the OP’s request is a new idea. It’s been done before. I wasn’t saying every MI product should therefore report its temperatures because the Ox does.
I was simply saying that just because one other piece of gear does, doesn’t really make a precedent.

Precedent and “new idea” are completely different concepts, really.

Either way, I don’t think the Axe3 needs to report its temperature regardless if anything before has or hasn’t.

I was simply saying that just because one other piece of gear does, doesn’t really make a precedent.

Precedent and “new idea” are completely different concepts, really.

Either way, I don’t think the Axe3 needs to report its temperature regardless if anything before has or hasn’t.

I stated "The Ox Top Box app reports its temperatures, so it’s not like this is an unprecedented request."

Unprecedented, type it in google, and it will tell you right at the top: "never done or known before."

My definition and usage are accurate whether you want to accept it or not.

I stated "The Ox Top Box app reports its temperatures, so it’s not like this is an unprecedented request."

Unprecedented, type it in google, and it will tell you right at the top: "never done or known before."

My definition and usage are accurate whether you want to accept it or not.
Can you get me the link to google? I keep forgetting. Thanks!

MMM: Who cares about the core temperature of an IC (and which one? DSP 1,2 or ARM?) is inside the AxeFx3? They measure themselves these days.

What action are you going to take? At what data point? What do you do on the UA OX when you see a number?

Do you really think the designer messed this up?

TM: Clearly setting it in the sun on asphalt during the summer in Florida is probably an untenable situation. I feel for any band that has to play in those conditions.

I’m glad you were able to solve it with extra ventilation. I might’ve gone the formula one route with dry ice. ;)

Last edited:
It makes more sense on the Ox since its attenuation results in heat, which you might want to monitor if you are pushing the max wattage into it. That’s not apples:apples with the 3 reporting a Core temperature. It would only be useful when troubleshooting a potential heat problem, and that usefulness would be dictated by Fractal as a data point worth capturing during their support process. Nothing a user could do other than report the temp and turn the unit off.
Didn’t at some point Cliff say the fan in the 3 was probably not even necessary for most users?

The Ox Top Box app reports its temperatures, so it’s not like this is an unprecedented request.

The Ox Box is a reactive load so one of its functions is to convert energy into heat, that’s why it’s temperature would increase if it’s being fed a lot of valve amp output. Not sure why a digital effects processor would need to do similar.

All comes down to ambient temperature.

If it still boots with the fan disconnected/broken, I’d say it’s not the most critical component. But fractal providing cpu temp info would probably encourage warranty voiding choices. If you want to take risks, just do it. Get a thermal gun like the other guy said and go to town.

Just for information sake. If the AFXIII gets too hot it will reboot. I had an instance last summer while playing at a Harley dealer. Summer scorching day in Florida set up in a parking lot with no shade for my rack, the AFX would reboot every 3 minutes. Now I take extreme measures to make sure the rack is shaded with a fan aimed at it. I have also made a new top panel with a 4" fan aimed at the cpu for good measure. It now has quite a bit of air flow coming out of the side vents. I use a 4 space blow molded rack set on end with several large holes cut out of the sides so hot air can escape.

View attachment 54527
Thats a neat rigg.....

Back
Top Bottom