Axe Fx III Review :-)

gigawatt

Experienced
The night b4 last I fell asleep at 10pm, woke at 12am, and decided this would be a good time to JAM! :D With headphones. :cool: Earlier that day I had programed the first five presets for use with my ADA MP1 Classic using Input 4 and Output 4 like a loop. This worked and sounded great, I've always liked the MP1's lead tone and it didn't disappoint with my new Jackson MIJ RR5 with an SD JB. I played for a couple hours tweaking things and dialing in a nice clean channel with chorus and reverb.

Then I started going through the presets. The first one that got my attention was #21 Solo 100, nice :). After that: 27: 5153, 31: Angle Severe, 37: Das Metal- YEAH! DA BRUTALZ! ;) 39: Brown Sound, 43, 50, 51, 53, 54, Herbie- got 3 presets outta that!, 55 Dweezil's Bassguy, 56: Ma, The Meatloaf 5153 Red, 65: Spawn Q Rod OD2, 66: Wrecked, 67: Brit Pre Od2 Bass Shift, Tweak= Rock and Roll Rebel!, 70: Dizzy VH4- Meh, 76: Jumped Plexi- Compressed, Dry, 77: Studio Lead USA Lead Bright+, 79: Whole Lotta (Love)- Practically Spot on, 82: PETRUCCI RIG! - OMG! All the Scenes..from a memory ;), what an awesome preset! 83: Solo 88- Super smooth, sounded better than my Soldano/Caswell X99 ever did (probably the power amp ;)), 85: Try Axes- Clean, a really nice clean tone. 88: JS410 Lead Red- Smooth, 89: Corncob- Crunchy.

That's as far as I got, it was almost 7 in the morning, almost time for breakfast… All in all, it sounds great, I mean REALLY great. Made me forgot all about the MP1 Classic, (for now, it's still my all time fav pre). I was so engulfed and "in the groove" playing thru the Axe. You know those rare time (at least for me) when your fingers feel like liquid and just do what ever you want? It was one of those nights :). Well, it's about that time again, time to go through another 89 presets ;). Will chime back in maybe tomorrow if I'm not still playing, or sleeping. I tweaked some of the above presets to my liking, but it wasn't much. I really like the 5 push button infinite rotary knobs, they come in quite handy.

See Ya!

I wish you'd have said "young" padawan Obi Wan… Oh wait, don't say that, please, don't say that! That's a whole different forum. :eek:

IDK that ToNe MaTcH thingy looks too complicated for me, maybe a few years ago when I still had all my gear and mic's, and my brain. ;)

BTW, thanks for the link :). Then I got to the end and there was Guitarjon's Metallica Tone Matches! I'll have to read that later, that peaked my interest! Is there a download? Is Guitarjon still a contributing forum member?

Last edited:
Very much so, and he just got his III, and released a nice video of hi creating his first preset.
Creating my first Axe-Fx III preset! (video)

Ah good to hear, thanks for the link :).

So I was tinkering around with the III earlier tonight continuing to go thru the presets. I left off at 89, onto the next eye/ear catcher; 97, 102, 115, 119- sounds like Communication Breakdown, 120, 123- nice clean, 125, 127- USA Pre, 130, 153- Lonely Hearts solo= spot on, 166- Albert's Lead, 182 Dynamo Flange, 190- Micro Pitchshift, 201, tracking Ring mods, 218- Heavy proc, 222- Solo Lead, 229- Plexi 3, 259, 263- Synth, 271- Plexi, 277-CL, 283- Uber= Awww Yeaaah! 286- Yngwie- not with my guitar and fingers, 295- Eddie, 297.

There was a loud pop when switching from 108- Limelight to 109- Glass Lead.

The screen flickered when I made some miner changes to 100- Solo 99 when I saved it.

All of the above presets caught my attention, I really like the Soldano models, and the Uber. Most of the presets between 89 and 311 were special effects so not a lot of amps to comment on. Some really nice clean channels though, very usable.

This time I went through my monitors.

Last edited:
Back to headphones, which with the Blue Mix-Fi's, sounds excellent!

Next preset, 312- Ned Beatty (I don't get the reference). Very nice crunch (uggh, I did this a few days ago and am trying to remember)... 318- Shiva, so that's what one sounds like, nice. 321- Stone In Love, Brit 800, kinda on the fence with this one, need to hear the song again. 329- Eruption, dang, I'm going to have to listen to these presets again, I can't think of how to describe them. Oh darn ;).

@NaturalScience I still have the tablature in my Macbook Dock, been there for two years now! Want to learn it again when I get a doubleneck. :cool: I suppose I'll need an acoustic too, oh and a gracie stand. ;) Hmm, is there an acoustic simulator in the Axe III?

Or was I thinking of Hemispheres with the
doubleneck?

Last edited:
Hmm, I think my question in the last post got muddled over, but I actually would like to know if there is an acoustic simulator or a way to make one in the Axe III?

Hmm. It looks like all of @Moke 's are acoustic sims... Anyone have any really great, fat, huge patches for acoustic guitars with the under-bridge piezo transducer? I've had some luck making my own, but nothing that's really blown me away. Also, if anyone's got videos or samples of his acoustic sim patches in action, I'd love to see them. It'd be great to not have to drag another guitar to practice/gigs!

Hmm. It looks like all of @Moke 's are acoustic sims... Anyone have any really great, fat, huge patches for acoustic guitars with the under-bridge piezo transducer? I've had some luck making my own, but nothing that's really blown me away. Also, if anyone's got videos or samples of his acoustic sim patches in action, I'd love to see them. It'd be great to not have to drag another guitar to practice/gigs!

Yeah! and post them here! ;)

Back
Top Bottom