Axe-Fx III Review

AtomicBlaze

Inspired
After a few days with the Axe-FX III, I can say that the new hardware interface is very fast and fun to use. I think I actually prefer it to Axe-Edit for most things, I feel like it is faster and more fun than Axe-Edit for quickly auditioning amps, cabs and effects. I feel like when your changing parameters on the unit you feel more connected with what is going on. The only things that are a pita to do on the unit are naming presets, managing multiple presets and cabs, and moving or copying multiple blocks. I also would like to have my current preset name visible from every screen, sometimes I lose track of what preset I am on depending on what screen I have visible. I think it would have been better from a design perspective to have the preset name be visible in large font instead of the large Axe-FX III logo. Another change that would be good is to be able to change presets quickly without going back to the home screen. Of course it wouldn't make sense currently since you can't see what preset your on from every screen.

My favorite new feature is the cab block, it is so fun to quickly mix 4 cabs, and so far I think the new cabs that I have auditioned really work well especially when mixing with my favorite 3rd party cabs. I really feel like the cabs are on par with the best 3rd party cabs now.

My 2nd favorite would be the new Tri-Chorus which I think sounds beautiful, and I think this effect alone makes me feel like I made the right choice upgrading to the Axe-FX III from the XL+.

The Ares firmware sounds similar to me to Quantum but with maybe slightly more detail. I think some of the improvements I hear might be because of the low noise floor, and the pristine audio quality of the hardware. Some of the amps like the Fenders seem a little different to me, like they are a little harder and defined in the bass, which I notice because I use the Fenders for running drive pedals into for crunch, and edge of breakup tones. It still sounds good but I am not sure how to soften the bass without completely changing the tone. The bass might be a little less compressed or open sounding also. Some of the amps seem to have less gain at default settings than I remember.

I love the tone matching, it seems more realistic to me and I have been happy with the results. I also like how you can export it to a cab block to easily use in other presets.

In closing, the user interface is brilliant, I love editing on the unit now. I think I will primarily use the unit now for tweaking presets, and use the Axe-Edit as more of a management tool. I feel like the Axe-FX III is easily worth the $1000 dollar upgrade, and I am really looking forward to building more tones on this thing, it is just so fun to use. I feel like now it has the fun factor of the Helix and the great tones of Fractal, so really all I need now is a floor controller, and Axe-Edit and I will be really happy.

Additions I would like to see in the future:

1. More drive pedals: 1. Klon, 2. TS808, 3. Prince or King of Tone, 4. Weehbo JCM Drive Anniversary.

Nice review.. mine comes tomorrow, took the day off, will do a review too. To this day I'm still astounded the Clawn has not been added. I think he's just being stubborn ;)

@AtomicBlaze , I’m with you on every point. The noise floor improvement cannot be underestimated, especially in contrast wirh certain presets with earlier units, and it is easy to hear because many of the stock presets are still identical , If you still have your old Axe, try A/B ing the Bassman About to Explode with NOISE GATEs OFF for the clearest demonstration of this I have found.

To quote what someone else on a facebook page had to say about it "Man, that Kool-Aid is really tasty, eh?"

@AtomicBlaze , I’m with you on every point. The noise floor improvement cannot be underestimated, especially in contrast wirh certain presets with earlier units, and it is easy to hear because many of the stock presets are still identical , If you still have your old Axe, try A/B ing the Bassman About to Explode with NOISE GATEs OFF for the clearest demonstration of this I have found.
That was literally the first thing I noticed yesterday, the noise floor. Unit is absolutely killer!
Nice review.. mine comes tomorrow, took the day off, will do a review too. To this day I'm still astounded the Clawn has not been added. I think he's just being stubborn ;)
Mine came yesterday...got out of work early and because of the store killing a lot of our main freight hubs yesterday I have no work today! (drive local ltl tractor trailers, no freight comes in to deliver, no work for the day!)

I've noticed in a couple of videos actually that there is little noise compared to my old II. I will make judgement on Sunday :D (great news, as its been my pet hate for years!)

. The only things that are a pita to do on the unit are naming presets, managing multiple presets and cabs, and moving or copying multiple blocks.

Just a FYI, there is a helper app you can use to edit preset/scene names on the computer while we wait for Axe-Edit III. It's called Axe-Fx III Mini Utility and can be found on the Axe-Fx III downloads page. (Also lets you load IRs into the III)

Back
Top Bottom