Axe-Fx III Recto Models Tips & Tricks

Axe-Master
The Axe-III Recto's are one of the amp models where I feel the ARES modelling has made a very noticeable improvement. These really sound superb; here's how I go about dialling them in.

One parameter I didn't cover is the Low res frequency, which can make a big difference in how the low end responds. Try bringing it down to 80/85hz with a 4x12 IR.

Preset - http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6491

Last edited:
The Axe-III Recto's are one of the amp models where I feel the ARES modelling has made a very noticeable improvement. These really sound superb; here's how I go about dialling them in.

One parameter I didn't cover is the Low res frequency, which can make a big difference in how the low end responds. Try bringing it down to 80/85hz with a 4x12 IR.

Awesome
Clearly you are the master of Modern hi gain rock tones
I don’t see how anyone could say
They are not tight enough too boomy
Won’t sit well in mix , if they take the time to follow your tutorials

When you get your actual Recto
Back I would love to see a blind test
Between The real amp , a tonematch
And your actual tweaked preset here
I think that would be intresting

@2112 I want to thank you because I'm fairly new to amp modeling and your tutorials have been immensely helpful.

If you plan on creating more of these tutorials, please consider the Friedman BE-100 or the 5150 block model as they are my favorite to use right now. I'm already getting an amazing tone without even doing much, but I'm curious to see how you would dial it in.

Another thing I have done w the Recto is turn the NFB back up
The Recto modern has no NFB and that’s what creates a ton of bass if IIRC
I find a lot of amps are based on the
Recto SLO preamp but have different
Filtering in the power section

@2112 Leon - is it possible for you to share the IR you created and used on this preset? I loved the tone that you got with that IR!

@Leon
I finally got to follow this and I didn't put my guitar down from around 4PM EST to now around 9:30EST

This was the first time I ever got that tone I really was after dude. THX a million. Can't wait to show these presets off.

Tomorrow I want to mess with IRs against these settings.

Awesome job Leon, between this and the IIC++ tutorial you are really filling a void.
This sounds so much better than the stock Recto presets.
I checked them when I got the III and was all "yup, i still hate rectos" but these are sounds I would use!

Thanks guys. My initial experience with Recto's was not dissimilar to what others have mentioned here; I did a show on tour where the backline was a Triple Recto and it was the most perplexing and frustrating amp I'd ever tried to dial in. A few years later one of my friends showed me his older blackface model and some tips to dial it in and it completely blew me away; I more or less went and picked up a Rev G the next day and fell in love with it, despite all the tech issues I ended up having with it.

I'm picking up my Recto from the studio this weekend so I'll hopefully have a comparison up in the next week, along with some similar videos on other amps.

Here's the IR for anyone who wants to use it - http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=533

Thanks guys. My initial experience with Recto's was not dissimilar to what others have mentioned here; I did a show on tour where the backline was a Triple Recto and it was the most perplexing and frustrating amp I'd ever tried to dial in. A few years later one of my friends showed me his older blackface model and some tips to dial it in and it completely blew me away; I more or less went and picked up a Rev G the next day and fell in love with it, despite all the tech issues I ended up having with it.

I'm picking up my Recto from the studio this weekend so I'll hopefully have a comparison up in the next week, along with some similar videos on other amps.

Here's the IR for anyone who wants to use it - http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=533
Woo Hoo! Thanks @2112 Leon!

Sounds awesome! Now it would be great if you would do a video about a George Lynch early era guitar tone. You know, that Super Plexi juicy tone with chewy mids. Mark Day has tones of great Lynchesque Patches, but I would like to ear your take on that type of sound. Keep them coming and thanks for all those very handy video tips!

These video series are the bee's-knees. I've always been kind of scared to try out the Recto or other Mesa models although I've had a strong urge to learn to cope with them. It's just been a matter of not knowing which knobs to turn to get the sound right. Thank you so much for putting a lot of effort on these and sharing the knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom