Axe-Fx III - Recording Unprocessed DI to DAW

ArtiomL

Hi,
I'd like to use Axe-Fx III to simultaneously record 2 signals into my DAW (Cubase).
The first signal is the signal processed by Axe-Fx (amps+cabs+effects).
For this I'm using the balanced Output 1 XLRs into the Line level input on my UAD interface:
Guitar > Instrument In > Output 1 > XLR-to-TRS-cable > Balanced Line in on UAD
This works great.

Now for the second signal - I'd like to simultaneously record the unprocessed or "dry" guitar DI signal (to use for re-amping later).
I can't use the Axe-Fx as my audio interface - because my projects are 96kHz (for various reasons I can't control) - which the unit doesn't support.
So I have to record it using audio outputs, and not digitally.

I understand that I can copy Input1 into Output3 and 4 for all-analog re-amping.
However - the question is - on the Audio interface (UAD) - which input type should I be using?
Balanced Line level inputs or High-Z Instrument Inputs?
Seems like Output3/4 can be set to "unity gain" and feed guitar amps - so does that mean it keeps the "original" guitar signal "as is" and then I should be connecting it to the High-Z input on my interface - as I would connect the guitar directly?

So - directly I would connect:
Guitar > HighZ Instrument Input on UAD
So that translated to (with Axe-Fx Output3):
Guitar > Instrument In > Copied to Output3 (Level knobs fully clockwise for unity gain) > TS-to-TS-cable > High-Z Instrument In on UAD

Or:
Output3/4 with "unity gain" copying Input1 should still go into the Balanced Line level inputs on UAD like so:
Guitar > Instrument In > Copied to Output3 (Level knobs fully clockwise for unity gain) > TRS-to-TRS-cable > Balanced Line in on UAD
Also is that a TRS-to-TRS cable? As Output3 is listed as unbalanced but still supports those Humbuster cables that use TRS on the Axe-Fx side. So which exact cable to use with Balanced Line inputs on UAD.

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere - sorry if this is a noob question.
Thanks in advance!

Out 3 is unbalanced. Your interface inputs can accept unbalanced cables. So use a TS to TS cable.

Now for the second signal - I'd like to simultaneously record the unprocessed or "dry" guitar DI signal (to use for re-amping later).
I can't use the Axe-Fx as my audio interface - because my projects are 96kHz (for various reasons I can't control) - which the unit doesn't support.
So I have to record it using audio outputs, and not digitally.
You can record digitally. Just plug your guitar into your UAD and run spdif back and forth between the UAD and the AxeFX. That way you'll have both DI and wet digital channels coming in to your computer from the UAD at whatever sample rate you want.

This is an unfortunate disadvantage of using Cubase. It doesn't have on-the-fly SR conversion. Almost any other DAW will allow you to simply record from the AxeFX at the desired sample rate and there would be no need for an audio interface.

SPDIF/AES will have to run at 48 kHz, 24bit on the Axe III, so you'd likely be stuck in the same sample rate pickle.

Some options:
  • Get sample rate converter, use SPDIF, bill all time and costs to client, have new toys and get job done.
  • Use a splitter like the Lehle P-Split before Axe input split goes to interface
-
* All Axe Fx outputs are 600ohm, but the manual on pg.71 says that doing the copy input 1 to out 3 will create a copy of the input 1 signal. It's unclear if it's an actual copy of the entire signal or just a copy of the audio signal. An actual copy of the signal would mean it keeps whatever impedence it sees at the input as well whereas a copy of just the audio would mean a 600ohm out still rather than what the input is actually seeing from the guitar. - I think it should be cleared up by someone from Fractal that actually knows. I'd like to know.

SPDIF/AES will have to run at 48 kHz, 24bit on the Axe III, so you'd likely be stuck in the same sample rate pickle.
I'm suggesting he use the audio interface simply as a SR converter to convert the 48 spdif signal to 96 over usb. That should solve his problem, but he didn't say specifically what audio interface he has, so he'll have to confirm that it works.

Last edited:
Some options:
  • Get sample rate converter, use SPDIF, bill all time and costs to client, have new toys and get job done.
  • Use a splitter like the Lehle P-Split before Axe input split goes to interface
-
* All Axe Fx outputs are 600ohm, but the manual on pg.71 says that doing the copy input 1 to out 3 will create a copy of the input 1 signal. It's unclear if it's an actual copy of the entire signal or just a copy of the audio signal. An actual copy of the signal would mean it keeps whatever impedence it sees at the input as well whereas a copy of just the audio would mean a 600ohm out still rather than what the input is actually seeing from the guitar. - I think it should be cleared up by someone from Fractal that actually knows. I'd like to know.

The output impedance is a hardware measurement and has nothing to do with what signal is sent to it. Input 1 has a variable input impedance circuit, but the output impedance is fixed.

The output impedance is a hardware measurement and has nothing to do with what signal is sent to it. Input 1 has a variable input impedance circuit, but the output impedance is fixed.

Thanks for clarification. So, OP, you'd use the line level inputs of your interface then for that second signal. Thanks again.

I'm using the UAD Apollo x6. According to the manual, the Line level Input impedance is 10k Ohms.
So the verdict is Output3 > Line level inputs?

Any actual benefit to using that "Humbuster" cable for that - or will the regular guitar mono TS cables just do?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi to the forum,

I need some help in setting up my new AXE FX3 to my audio interface.

I wish to configure the Axe to be able to record through my interface direct to my audio track in my daw.

My daw is (Studio One pro Version 6).
My audio interface is (Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi to the forum,

I need some help in setting up my new AXE FX3 to my audio interface.

I wish to configure the Axe to be able to record through my interface direct to my audio track in my daw.

My daw is (Studio One pro Version 6).
My audio interface is (Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
you can find all the information on the guide written by @GlennO https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Back
Top Bottom