Axe-Fx III, PS-2, Cab Settings Question

Sable

I’ve been reading about preferred settings when connecting the Axe-Fx III to a Fryette Power Station and cab. My specific setup is Axe-PS2-Marshall 1965a cab (all original from 1987!).

I know that there is discussion on simply experimenting with what sounds best, and I’m all for that. But I’d still like to hear others’ thoughts on how they are adjusting settings.

I’ve been turning off both the cab sim AND the power amp sim on the Fractal, then running into the PS-2’s line in. I had initially been setting the Presence and Depth at noon on the PS-2, but after reading other posts have also experimented with full CCW.

I’m especially interested in knowing whether folks are leaving the power amp sim on the Fractal and whether they are turning the Presence and Resonance parameters off on the Fractal.

I’ll just say, too, that I’m blown away by how good the Axe III sounds through a tube power amp and cab. Really impressive!

I’ve been reading about preferred settings when connecting the Axe-Fx III to a Fryette Power Station and cab. My specific setup is Axe-PS2-Marshall 1965a cab (all original from 1987!).

I know that there is discussion on simply experimenting with what sounds best, and I’m all for that. But I’d still like to hear others’ thoughts on how they are adjusting settings.

I’ve been turning off both the cab sim AND the power amp sim on the Fractal, then running into the PS-2’s line in. I had initially been setting the Presence and Depth at noon on the PS-2, but after reading other posts have also experimented with full CCW.

I’m especially interested in knowing whether folks are leaving the power amp sim on the Fractal and whether they are turning the Presence and Resonance parameters off on the Fractal.

I’ll just say, too, that I’m blown away by how good the Axe III sounds through a tube power amp and cab. Really impressive!
Even though in theory the optimal setting when using a tube power amp should be to turn off the power amp sim in the axe, I would avoid that with a "transparent" power amp like the PS2.
By disabling PA sim you lose a lot of character in those amps that rely on power amp distortion/compression.

IMHO the best way to run that setup is this:
  • turn PA sim ON
  • select "Resistive Load" impedance curve
  • set speaker comp, speaker drive and compliance to 0
  • if the amps feel too compressed turn supply sag slightly down

I have no wish to hijack the thread but could you clarify the above statements for me please? If the amp is transparent...select restive load. Does that hold for running an SLA solid state amp & real 2x12 cab then? I have been using the impedance curves thus far & I am very pleased with the sound. I realise that it's all about how it sounds but for the sake of "realism" should I not use the curves?

Even though in theory the optimal setting when using a tube power amp should be to turn off the power amp sim in the axe, I would avoid that with a "transparent" power amp like the PS2.
By disabling PA sim you lose a lot of character in those amps that rely on power amp distortion/compression.

IMHO the best way to run that setup is this:
  • turn PA sim ON
Thanks for the response! I will give this a try. I liked the sound of the power amp off because it was a little brighter and more detailed to my ear. I am going to try these adjustments and see what happens, though!

I have no wish to hijack the thread but could you clarify the above statements for me please? If the amp is transparent...select restive load. Does that hold for running an SLA solid state amp & real 2x12 cab then? I have been using the impedance curves thus far & I am very pleased with the sound. I realise that it's all about how it sounds but for the sake of "realism" should I not use the curves?
Nope, the OP is talking about a tube power amp which, being a current amplifier, is already affected by the real speaker impedance curve, so simulating it would be redundant and lead to a mid-scooped sound.

Since you're using a SS PA you "should" use the curves.

DLC86, I tried your suggestions, and the tones were really nice, indeed. I did turn the sag down slightly, and I also liked running the presence on the PS-2 up at around noon. This was at lower volumes. Everything I tried sounded great, and you can definitely hear the difference in the intended grit on a number of settings when the power amp sim is on versus off.

• turn PA sim ON

I just gave this a try with my PS-2 and really like it. Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

I use real 2 x 12 and 4 x 12 cabs. For me the impedance curves have really cleaned up unwanted loose bass and freaky highs. As you said it's all about your sound. If you are happy with it, go for it. If something doesn't sound right, try something else. I hardly ever try to get a certain amp's tone. I usually try to trust my ears.

I use real 2 x 12 and 4 x 12 cabs. For me the impedance curves have really cleaned up unwanted loose bass and freaky highs. As you said it's all about your sound. If you are happy with it, go for it. If something doesn't sound right, try something else. I hardly ever try to get a certain amp's tone. I usually try to trust my ears.

Another way to do that is cut below 100hz and above 10k at the end of your signal chain in the axe.

Another way to do that is cut below 100hz and above 10k at the end of your signal chain in the axe.
I have a PEQ in font of out 1 and out 2 to cut 100hz and 6k to FOH and 80hz and 6k to my amp. It works good considering my guitar speakers are rated from 75hz to 6k.
But there is a difference in feel and tightness at stage volume using the amp impedance curves.

Back
Top Bottom