Axe Fx III .... praise and a question...

I’ve used the ax8 for all my festival gigs and the Axe Fx II for session work for a few years. I am constantly complemented from FOH guys and audience members for my tone. This has very little to do with my ability to tweak and program, and all to do with the sound quality of the fractal units ... so first off, thanks for great tone!
After having the Axe Fx III for a few weeks I’m even more blown away! It’s fantastic! I do have one question thought for anyone using the axe III right now. Is it my imagination, or does changing the type of pre amp tube model not have as much impact on the sound as it did in the Axe Fx II? It very well could be my ears playing tricks on me! Heh heh. Peace. DF.

FWIW...I never thought the tube change in the AXE II was really worth the effort. I think it's not that useful and better ways to alter things elsewhere. But that's me....

I would say it depends on the amp model.

Personally on my Axe II, I could barely tell a difference at all when I experimented with preamp tube changes.

I was playing with this last night while tweaking the the new 2204 model. I can't answer your question as it related to the II because it wasn't something I messed with but with the III, aside from the blip you hear when changing types I got more joy from seeing it read 12AX7SYL than I received from hearing something different. It's a very very very subtle difference to my ear and touch and not a parameter I feel the need to pay any attention too.

Just a contrary opinion, re tube changes on the AxeFx2.
For Fender-style amps, including the Carr Roamer model, I find a change from the Sylvania 12AX7 to, say, the RCA 12AX7 (which I prefer) is quite noticeable.
Can't speak to the AxeFx3, since I don't have one yet. Might be a while!

Back
Top Bottom