Axe-Fx III phasing issues?

jeffking

Anyone have any issues with phasing on the III? It's like a weird "comb filter" effect... on every patch. Any help appreciated!

Not a faulty device.

Phasing issues occur mostly when a stereo signal is summed to mono.

Possible causes:
  • routing in the preset
  • Output Mode settings in the I/O menu
  • physical connecting of outputs to amplifier/mixer

My guess is that if you listen with headphones the issue will not be there.
Something external un-related to the Axe directly.

Sounds the same through headphones. I'm guessing it has to do with importing from AXE II... I used the FracTool software, which is supposed to import the files from II. It's the same through 2 different Pro Tools rigs, some somewhere there's an issue. Output mode in IO settings looks fine.. OUT 1 CONF
Mode = stereo
Phase = normal
Got to be something else deep.. very frustrating!

Sounds the same through headphones. I'm guessing it has to do with importing from AXE II... I used the FracTool software, which is supposed to import the files from II. It's the same through 2 different Pro Tools rigs, some somewhere there's an issue. Output mode in IO settings looks fine.. OUT 1 CONF
Mode = stereo
Phase = normal
Have you tried any presets that were not converted?
I had some issues as well when I converted.
Are headphones plugged direct into the Axe?
Have you tried creating a preset from scratch? Amp > Cab > Output?

Mode = stereo
Phase = normal
Since you say it sounds the same through 2 PT rigs, are you sure you are not monitoring from 2 sources at the same time?

Mode = stereo
Phase = normal
Share the preset ;)

Hey everybody.. thanks for chiming in on this. I could not figure it out, so I rebuilt all my programs.. Pain in the rear.. but I'm up and running again. Appreciate everyone's ideas.
Jeff

Here's a file that sounds/feels phasey... Could someone check it for me on a III? I imported it through the FracTool from my II to the III.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Somebody in G.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Here's a file that sounds/feels phasey... Could someone check it for me on a III? I imported it through the FracTool from my II to the III.
Thanks!
You have phase reverse on for the chorus block. If you collapse that to mono when you monitor it's going to do weird things. Either monitor in stereo or make sure you're not summing the left and right channels in the system settings on Out 1.

You have phase reverse on for the chorus block. If you collapse that to mono when you monitor it's going to do weird things. Either monitor in stereo or make sure you're not summing the left and right channels in the system settings on Out 1.
Thanks! How about this one? No chorus block on this patch...

Attachments

• Pl S C in G.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks! So much changed when I imported.. I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out..
No problem. These are being converted from a II? Using FracTool or something? The converstion process is imprecise. I abandoned it and just re-dialed in presets by hand after a few attempts to port things ended in frustration.

As for sorting phasing issues out: I start at the right side of the chain and work backwards. Mute the block, check, un-mute, move a block to the left, repeat. Once I find the block that's bring in the odd sounds I look for polarity changes between the left and right channels or parameters that can cause copies of the signal to end up delayed relative to the main signal in a block.

No problem. These are being converted from a II? Using FracTool or something? The converstion process is imprecise. I abandoned it and just re-dialed in presets by hand after a few attempts to port things ended in frustration.

As for sorting phasing issues out: I start at the right side of the chain and work backwards. Mute the block, check, un-mute, move a block to the left, repeat. Once I find the block that's bring in the odd sounds I look for polarity changes between the left and right channels or parameters that can cause copies of the signal to end up delayed relative to the main signal in a block.
I guess i'll remove the ability to convert then...

Back
Top Bottom