Axe-Fx III now my main rig. Others also running Helix and/or still holding on to it why do so?

ectoplasm88

Inspired
I've been using a Helix for several years and have just recently decided to switch to the Axe-Fx III as my main rig. It is not the first Fractal system I've owned but this will be the first time I've used a Fractal system as my main rig. I switched to the Helix years ago for the compact solution and usability it provided. The current Fractal line has addressed all those usability issues and I am fully blown away by the sounds I'm getting out of the unit. All of that being said I'm trying to decide if I should continue to hold on to the Helix or maybe sell it help balance out my spending. I'm wondering from other folk that are using the Axe-Fx and have a lot of experience with the Helix what gaps it is filling that you feel the Axe-Fx doesn't or in what other ways it is complementing your rig? What killer effect or feature that may not be fully realized yet in the Axe-Fx makes you hold on to it? I honestly love both units, once the next gen Line 6 modeler is released I'll probably get one. Basically I rotate through stuff. I'm also totally down with keeping both. I'm just wondering from others on here what your opinions are.

Thanks a bunch!

Paul

If it were me, the only reason I would keep it is if I were using a Variax, to be able to send pickup/tuning changes via foot control (and while you’re at it, you could use it as the foot controller for the Axe FX). There are a few people on this forum who use this setup.

I do also have a Variax and take advantage of the alternate tunings linked to various presets but I'd be cool with just manually flipping them on the Variax itself.

I'm most curious to see if any of the effects or amp models on the Helix anyone hasn't been able to recreate and equivalent to on the III. Anything people just really identify with the Helix for. I might find some of this out on my own as I attempt to set this up for replacement of what I am currently using my Helix for.

Thanks for the link. I did read through a bit of this but I should probably read through all of it. I'm pretty sure I even posted my own reply :) It seemed like a lot of this thread was mostly one's "better than the other" or I like both. But I didn't catch any real specific examples of "gotta have it" amp models or effects or... I will read through the complete postings though. Thanks again!

I have a Helix floorboard and just got a Stomp. The Stomp expands my pedalboard and the Floorboard is just a cool piece of kit. Both sound awesome. I had an Axe III, but it was more than I needed. I'll be getting an FM3, and I know it will be killer, too. For me it's not a zero-sum game. I have room in my life for both companies.

I recently wrote a review (this Forum - Reviews section) comparing my experience with the Axe FX III to the Helix. I will likely sell the Helix as soon as I have a backup strategy in place for the Axe FX III.

if ____ gear was completely bad, no one would have it. people have helix. people have axe.

of course we can ask for opinions to save buying something, but we all just need to try it for ourselves and decide based on our own preferences. anyone can defend anything, so a lot of words are just a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom