Axe-Fx III - New User Presets Thread!

Hi Austinbuddy -

I have a favorite bass patch I use (was posted by someone a long time ago that tone matched “Jet City Woman” by Queensryche) that I’d LOVE to have ported to III. Any tips on how to import the tone match ?

Hi Austinbuddy -

I have a favorite bass patch I use (was posted by someone a long time ago that tone matched “Jet City Woman” by Queensryche) that I’d LOVE to have ported to III. Any tips on how to import the tone match ?

I believe there is a way to capture a ToneMatch from one machine to another one ( the Axe III), but i have not done it myself. Have you checked the Fractal Wikipedia?

Probably something like this (roughly):

Set up patch with synth block first then into your existing Tone Match block.

Run that signal out of Axe-Fx and into an Axe III.

Perform ToneMatch procedure on Axe III.

That should clone it for the Axe III.

Last edited:
Hi everyone: For any those of you who really want to get your ARES presets sounding like the presets on an Ax8 or Axe-FX from firmware 8.02 or 9.02, want to give you some tips I've found.

If you are like me, you may want a little more definition in the upper mids. Rather than using Bass/Middle/Treble, I've found there are two ways to get that extra upper mid lift that was present in 8.02 I love so much but isn't there when running ARES on any of your presets you may be porting over.

You can either

A) go into an amp block and add 0.50 to 1db at the 4Khz area - that will give you the missing presence.

OR

B) go into the negative feedback parameter in the amp block for each amp (X/Y) you want to brighten, and add at least "1 to 2" to the value there (to taste). For example, if the amp negative feedback is set to 2.5, try a value 3.5 and see if you like that better. The higher the number, the brighter the amp will get.

Important: For any Class-A amps (amps with negative feedback, these will show a "zero" value on the amp page - like Vox, Morgans, Matchless, some Dr. Zs, etc.) those are fine. Leave them alone - they are good to go as is.

Also, an update: I'm focused on creating an expanded TonePack version for the Axe-III that is already approaching 1000+ distinct tones! It will contain every sound in the current 700+ Naked Amps TonePack -- but the new version adds more amp variations and expands on some classic and modern amps. So every amp will have at least two tones still, but some will have as many as 12 shades of tones.

Because I have to match using the 2048 new factory cabs (I still use Legacy ones too that sound great), this one is taking some time to complete and be done "right." As of now, I expect it will become available sometime in June. The AxeIII-Editor being built out is an essential part on getting the product done properly, and that is coming along nicely by Fractal.

I'll drop a free example preset or two in this thread and on Axe-Change as examples as I go along...

Have to say I am LOVING the Axe-III -- so much power, naming of scenes is extremely helpful for TonePack stuff, and it sounds amazing! Cheers!
Hi @austinbuddy! June is coming up fast. I am anxiously waiting your Tone Pack for the Axe III. I bought for my Axe FX II XL+ and it was amazing! Still looking like a June release?

I would hope for June but I am set back doing the Q10.01 updates for existing customers. Still waiting on AX8 10.01 firmware, but the XL/XL+ and Mark II versions are now done/available.

Worse case it will be July. A lot of it is done - maybe 70% - but the remaining 30% is a good bit of work with some new presets. I also need the Axe-III editor to be fully functionally (Preset manager, copying and pasting scenes) top get the final polish on it. So your patience will be rewarded, hang in there!

Last edited:
I would hope for June but I am set back doing the Q10.01 updates for existing customers. Still waiting on AX8 10.01 firmware, but the XL/XL+ and Mark II versions are now done/available.

Worse case it will be July. A lot of it is done - maybe 70% - but the remaining 30% is a good bit of work with some new presets. I also need the Axe-III editor to be fully functionally (Preset manager, copying and pasting scenes) top get the final polish on it. So your patience will be rewarded, hang in there!
That is great news! I’m sure it will be well worth the wait! That must be very interesting work. I would love to do something like that. I’m an engineer in a power plant and while it can be interesting, it is also quite tedious with the mountain of environmental monitoring that I am also responsible for. Don’t get me wrong it is worth it to take care of the planet, but Uncle Sam can get a bit testy if you have a “boo-boo”.

Looking forward to it, but..... I can't help but wonder if by the time July rolls around Cliff won't have already introduced some significant changes to the III, forcing you back to the proverbial drawing board yet again. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, yet also have to admit I eagerly check the forum each day waiting to see what the next III update will bring.... The thing is beyond sweet right now, by the time we are rocking Ares FW5.0 or something I can only image what all its going to have going on under the hood!

Looking forward to it, but..... I can't help but wonder if by the time July rolls around Cliff won't have already introduced some significant changes to the III, forcing you back to the proverbial drawing board yet again. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, yet also have to admit I eagerly check the forum each day waiting to see what the next III update will bring.... The thing is beyond sweet right now, by the time we are rocking Ares FW5.0 or something I can only image what all its going to have going on under the hood!
It sure could happen... but really with ARES we are closing in so tightly on actual “real” to “modeled” sound that in future I suspect we won’t see a major or seismic tonal shifts like in the past... maybe more overall global tonal shape options... it is fun to compare Q8.02 to ARES for example... Iactually like them both!

Last edited:
I'm very much looking forward to this!

Are you going to make use of the Scenes to cut down on the number of presets? It would be cool to be able to load in all your presets ... and still have some slots left open for others I might find or make!
Absolutely. I am making very good use of the ability to name scenes, adding some other variations on amps inside a single preset. The whole package will be under two Axe III banks as a result when done! At least 300 new sounds and amp preset extras too...

Back
Top Bottom