Axe-Fx III - my quickie review

DougB415

Power User
I was able to pick up an AXE-FX III in a trade, and it arrived a little while ago. I let it warm up (the day it arrived temps were below freezing, and it was chilly taking it out of the box), plugged in the XLR cables, the USB cable, then plugged my Gibson R7 in.

WOW!

The guy I bought it from sorted the presets to his liking, deleting some and adding the Austin Buddy presets. When I power it up, it’s on the ‘59 Tweed Bassman. I’ve got it plugged into a pair of Behringer powered 12” monitors. I’ve played with the first two scenes, and this thing is amazing. I haven’t gone any further as of yet, hence the “quickie“ review.

I’ve got an FC-6 arriving tomorrow. Hope my wife doesn’t mind some “alone time“ for the next couple days, but then I have to turn both units over to her to wrap and put under the tree. Three weeks until Christmas? I feel like Ralphie waiting for his Red Rider BB gun! :p

Last edited:
Spent another hour or so with it this morning. I am purposely not using Axe Edit yet, just trying to navigate via the front panel. Just like anybody else, there are some amps/presets that I will never use, but it’s still nice to have them there. Now that Dumble preset OTOH - woah, that thing is a beaut! Anyway, if I push too many buttons and get lost, I just press HOME and we’re all good.

I might need to look at a better pair of powered monitors tho. Mine are 10 years old and still work fine, but I’m betting that things have improved quite a bit since I got them.

hi Doug,

yes - your monitors are the first thing I’d be looking at now. Get the most accurate you can afford as it will make a huge difference not only in your enjoyment of the unit, but in the way your presets translate to other systems.
thanks
pauly

Spent another hour or so with it this morning. I am purposely not using Axe Edit yet, just trying to navigate via the front panel. Just like anybody else, there are some amps/presets that I will never use, but it’s still nice to have them there. Now that Dumble preset OTOH - woah, that thing is a beaut! Anyway, if I push too many buttons and get lost, I just press HOME and we’re all good.

I might need to look at a better pair of powered monitors tho. Mine are 10 years old and still work fine, but I’m betting that things have improved quite a bit since I got them.

hi Doug,

yes - your monitors are the first thing I’d be looking at now. Get the most accurate you can afford as it will make a huge difference not only in your enjoyment of the unit, but in the way your presets translate to other systems.
thanks
pauly
Any suggestions? I’m set in the studio with Focals, but for stage I’d like a good pair of 12” powered wedges that are accurate, but w/o breaking the bank.

hi Doug
Not sure what the most roadworthy monitors would be nowadays. If money’s no option, look at Meyers.
thanks
pauly

Any suggestions? I’m set in the studio with Focals, but for stage I’d like a good pair of 12” powered wedges that are accurate, but w/o breaking the bank.

I was able to pick up an AXE-FX III in a trade, and it arrived a little while ago. I let it warm up (the day it arrived temps were below freezing, and it was chilly taking it out of the box), plugged in the XLR cables, the USB cable, then plugged my Gibson R7 in.

WOW!

The guy I bought it from sorted the presets to his liking, deleting some and adding the Austin Buddy presets. When I power it up, it’s on the ‘59 Tweed Bassman. I’ve got it plugged into a pair of Behringer powered 12” monitors. I’ve played with the first two scenes, and this thing is amazing. I haven’t gone any further as of yet, hence the “quickie“ review.

I’ve got an FC-6 arriving tomorrow. Hope my wife doesn’t mind some “alone time“ for the next couple days, but then I have to turn both units over to her to wrap and put under the tree. Three weeks until Christmas? I feel like Ralphie waiting for his Red Rider BB gun! :p
Days = Months

I would Christmas wrap them up myself, leaving 3 cables running out back, around the tree and to the basement. Power, usb, xlr ! You can run it from a computer remotely 😂

Back
Top Bottom