Axe-Fx III + MorningStar MC6 Issues/Questions

peteri

Power User
Hi

III arrived on Monday, and the MC6 today - both are latest firmware.

Few things I can't get to work:

1. Tuner - I can turn it on with a foot switch, but any idea how to exit it?
2. Preset up/down - just can't find it anywhere
3. Is tap tempo possible?

Bit of a slog, but I'm getting there!

Any help gratefully received

Hi

III arrived on Monday, and the MC6 today - both are latest firmware.

Few things I can't get to work:

1. Tuner - I can turn it on with a foot switch, but any idea how to exit it?
2. Preset up/down - just can't find it anywhere
3. Is tap tempo possible?

Bit of a slog, but I'm getting there!

Any help gratefully received
see page 154- 156 of the manual.

Sorry that doesn't help at all (and I have read those pages).

I'm referring to how to turn the tuner on/off with the MC6 - specifically off, I can get it on fine - but then have to return to the Axe front panel to press exit

We need to know what messages you’re sending. Screenshots of the editor would go a long way.

Use a CC toggle - For example if your Tuner is set to receive CC#2, assign CC toggle to CC#2 127 , and 0 so will look like this:
CC toggle - 2:127 2:0
Hitting the same switch will toggle the tuner on and off.

Thanks - I'm sending a cc number (35) with a value of 50.

On the Axe I've set the tuner to match this CC number, and when I press the button on the MC6 it correctly turns on the tuner, all good.

My question is (concerning the tuner) - is there a toggle mode or something, because I want to be able to turn it off too.

Second question, is I can't for the life of me find how to go previous/next preset via Midi!

I have to re-figure it out.
I was doing it at one point.
One thing I realized is that once you have it setup in the MC, the only way it will work is if you send the first patch change from the MC and then scroll up or down will work.

Thanks! will try that now

Resurrecting this thread as this tuner thing has me stuck. Specifically, how do you enter the two separate CC values into the Morningstar editor? It doesn't seem possible to enter separate CC values for an action. Moreover, how are you defining a CC Toggle? I'm not seeing a CC Toggle as an option under Type. I've tried enabling the Toggle On button in the top left corner, but that has no effect. @peteri, how have you config'd to get the tuner toggle to work? I'm stumped.

Everything has current firmware all around.

Resurrecting this thread as this tuner thing has me stuck. Specifically, how do you enter the two separate CC values into the Morningstar editor? It doesn't seem possible to enter separate CC values for an action. Moreover, how are you defining a CC Toggle? I'm not seeing a CC Toggle as an option under Type. I've tried enabling the Toggle On button in the top left corner, but that has no effect. @peteri, how have you config'd to get the tuner toggle to work? I'm stumped.

Everything has current firmware all around.

Hi

Took me a while - here goes:

1. Select the preset in MC Editor
2. Click the Toggle On Button
3. In the label, enter 'Tuner' and enter the value you want to send to the AXE (to turn on the tuner)
4. In the toggle label enter 'Preset' (this is what you'll see when you're in Tuner mode)
5. In the second message row, enter what you need in the cc message to turn off the tuner.
6. In that second message, ensure 1. you have the same slot as the first row selected, 2. you have the position 2 button checked
7. Save the preset!

I've done this from memory, but hopefully you get the idea - if the above doesn't work let me know and I can either export or walk through it again

Pete

Hi

Took me a while - here goes:

1. Select the preset in MC Editor
2. Click the Toggle On Button
3. In the label, enter 'Tuner' and enter the value you want to send to the AXE (to turn on the tuner)
4. In the toggle label enter 'Preset' (this is what you'll see when you're in Tuner mode)
5. In the second message row, enter what you need in the cc message to turn off the tuner.
6. In that second message, ensure 1. you have the same slot as the first row selected, 2. you have the position 2 button checked
7. Save the preset!

I've done this from memory, but hopefully you get the idea - if the above doesn't work let me know and I can either export or walk through it again

Pete
That got it. The key points are that in the second message row you apply 1 for the value and select the pos2 option. Without that pos 2 option selected, the Axe III tuner flicks on then immediately off. Thank you for the info!

So for anyone else out there with the Mk2 MC6, here's the config to toggle the Axe III tuner:

Start by selecting the desired foot switch button to program.
1. Enable 'Toggle on' option with the upper left corner button.
2. Enter labels and assign a bank as preferred.
3. For Msg1, select 'Press' for the action and 'Control Change' for the Type. Edit the Control Change parameters to your MIDI channel and Axe III Tuner configured Control Change number. For the Control Change value enter a high value. I use 127*.
4. For Msg2, select 'Press' and 'Control Change' as before. Edit the MIDI channel and CC number as in Msg1 but use 1 for the CC Value. Last, click the Pos1 toggle to change it to 'Pos2'.

*There seems to be backend definitions on CC values in the MC6 for specific numbers or ranges. It would be handy to know how the MC6 handles those, ie, 0-X does this or Y-127 does that (or sends some specific value). Extrapolating off of the Midi Implementation chart to understand what the MC6 can receive, using 127 or 0-11 would likely be significant CC values to experiment with for other functions when programming the MC6.

Just as additional fodder for those that get the MC6 MKII (or MK2), for some reason on my the LCD shows "Exit" above the lower right switch, whenever I've engaged the tuner. So without any additional commands, besides sending the proper CC (15 in my case), the ability to close (or turn off) the tuner was integrated. My MKII arrived with firmware v3.0.0, and this feature has been on mine since day one, but there may be variants out there that don't behave exactly like mine. ?? YMMV

Lee

Back
Top Bottom