Axe FX III mkII - will my mk1 get left behind with firmware updates? Answer - clearly not. Thread edited due to excessive negativity from one person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mentioned on the board a few months ago that you were waiting on a patent approval for something even better than profiling technology.

Will whatever this mystery tech is require this new model?
I'm also very curious about this - that didn't sound to me like a Mark II, but, perhaps whatever it was that Cliff was talking about will be more easily implemented in the Mark II, unless it's a separate thing altogether. Either way - excited to know what it might be, and also for the release of the Mark II. Love that there is constant work being done to help people create and get the things out of their head and into the world.

I so only scratch the surface of the III. The idea that I need more POWAH is LOL for me.
I need to practice more. Having no gigs has run me down on the motivation front.

I love the innovation at Fractal. If Cliff wants to make a new model every year, more power to him.

Please fractal audio does not neglect the users of Axe FX3 MK1. Many have just bought the still young MK1 model and were hoping for a current model!

They're not going to neglect it. All of the previous Axe-FX's (standard, ultra, mk 1+2, xl, xl+) received updates at the same time until they were discontinued. You have nothing to worry about. I bought mine like 4 months ago but shit happens.

Arni61, You don't appear to get how the market works. I have a MKI and I don't really see a need to update. This update is obviously minor. There is no big change in functionality and no change in sound or processing power.

What in the Jolly Green Giant's tits are you talking about? It's been stated numerous times that the firmware is the same. Relax.
Arni61, You don't appear to get how the market works. I have a MKI and I don't really see a need to update. This update is obviously minor. There is no big change in functionality and no change in sound or processing power.
We will see if it becomes that way. I'm not the only one who has concerns.

I think my Mk I will meet my needs, but I've been a proponent of the additional space for presets for a long time. I'll put my money where my mouth has been on that. Hopefully resale won't crater on the Mk I.
I complained about the space as well and a bunch of people argued I was full of it. :D Wonder how many of those folks will upgrade. LOL.

Ironically, I don't think I will, though. I'd like the extra space but the OG III is killing it for me, and I expect FAS to do their best as they have in the past to keep models within the same generation as comparable as possible. I don't want to go through the expense, effort, and spouse discussion/argument about it.

There is still the FM3 and any other floor unit they would release to consider for software updates, too. I expect their changes to the software architecture for the porting to the FM3 will enable more modularity within this generations FW over time so life is good.

This promise to keep updates for all revisions in a generation was upheld by Fractal Audio for the Axe-FX II generation. Your skepticism really has no merit. All past indicators of future behavior here say your MkI unit is in for a long run of future firmware updates.

Rest easy, Fractal treats owners well. The literal president of the company, @FractalAudio, has addressed your concerns.

Last edited:

A big part of the fun are these FW updates, aren't they?
That's only the fear taking control and talking. Emotions ignore the facts and logic.

Once you know it, it's easy to accept it. ;)

It's a strange dynamic to see FOMO (fear of missing out) materialize in a product that already offers 200+ amplifiers, hundreds of IRs, along with amazing effects and as far as I've experience unrivaled algorithms for digital modeling.

When a new product releases, the product you LOVE right now doesn't get worse. It stays the same great sounding unit. Hell there are touring bands and musicians that haven't even moved on to the AxFX 3 for live shows (Periphery for example)

If you're stressing out about a slight revision of an existing model, perhaps analyze and reflect on your habit of consuming products vs creating music with what you have. And if you really think you have to have the latest and greatest, list your unit on Reverb and jump on the waitlist.

It's a strange dynamic to see FOMO (fear of missing out) materialize in a product that already offers 200+ amplifiers, hundreds of IRs, along with amazing effects and as far as I've experience unrivaled algorithms for digital modeling.

When a new product releases, the product you LOVE right now doesn't get worse. It stays the same great sounding unit. Hell there are touring bands and musicians that haven't even moved on to the AxFX 3 for live shows (Periphery for example)

If you're stressing out about a slight revision of an existing model, perhaps analyze and reflect on your habit of consuming products vs creating music with what you have. And if you really think you have to have the latest and greatest, list your unit on Reverb and jump on the waitlist.

FW updates are fun... simple as that... (and Cliff obviously knows it... it's part of his strategy of success)
Doesn't mean you have to choose between play guitar or having fun exploring new stuff that was just released.
IMHO, we can have both worlds ;)

Cliff said mk1 and mk2 models both use the same firmware. That should be the end of it. Case closed.

If that ever changes, I have no doubt we'll get advance notice (probably in the form of an announcement of the AxeFX IV in a couple years).

Remember, the AxeFX II hardware generation lasted 7 years. We're not even halfway there yet with the III.

They're not going to neglect it. All of the previous Axe-FX's (standard, ultra, mk 1+2, xl, xl+) received updates at the same time until they were discontinued. You have nothing to worry about. I bought mine like 4 months ago but shit happens.
Axe IV could have come out and I would still be happily playing my Axe III that I just bought. It is just so good. Hopefully the Axe IV will have a feature to inject the skills of our favorite guitarists into our brains Matrix style right?

Axe IV could have come out and I would still be happily playing my Axe III that I just bought. It is just so good. Hopefully the Axe IV will have a feature to inject the skills of our favorite guitarists into our brains Matrix style right?
I think one of the new modules Cliff's been thinking of are integrated guitar-training courses and their respective color.

Much like, karate, the color your Axe FX 3 MK 2 is outputting is dependent on what "belt" you've qualified for.
When you see a MK 2 unit outputting a white hue, bring ear plugs. Brown hues will be more enjoyable, while the black light should be the best listening experience while also showing any beer spills and other miscellaneous stains in proximity to the MK 2 unit.

I'm on the list, now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom