Axe FX III mkII - will my mk1 get left behind with firmware updates? Answer - clearly not. Thread edited due to excessive negativity from one person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt even see this post to begin with and you could have just sent me this in the first place. I hope this thread gets deleted i dont care for toxicity or know it alls!
Well, your question that I initially responded to was how will mk1 be treated now, right? I answered that with a direct quote from Cliff, right? What's your problem?

There's a chance when Cliff puts the new flash space to use it could be for a new feature instead of just expanding existing spaces.

Someone suggested some Amp Profiling based on some patents that have become public. Someone else said maybe adding custom Amp Impedance Curves. Maybe something else could be added that needs some new storage space.

If anything like this is added, only the Mark II will be able to support it. But we don't know what it will be or when it might be added, so it's up to you how worried you are about having access to this when it comes, vs just waiting until the feature is added then deciding to upgrade then.

But I'm told the Axe FX II kept the same core models and features up to date for all versions through it's life, and additional features that needed extra space like those were only enabled on the newer versions. So if you don't think you'll need whatever gets added your III should stay up to date and useful.

The Chip itself isn't more powerful from what they're saying and the firmware itself isn't any larger to fit more things, so we shouldn't miss out on too much.

There's a chance when Cliff puts the new flash space to use it could be for a new feature instead of just expanding existing spaces.

Someone suggested some Amp Profiling based on some patents that have become public. Someone else said maybe adding custom Amp Impedance Curves. Maybe something else could be added that needs some new storage space.

If anything like this is added, only the Mark II will be able to support it. But we don't know what it will be or when it might be added, so it's up to you how worried you are about having access to this when it comes, vs just waiting until the feature is added then deciding to upgrade then.

But I'm told the Axe FX II kept the same core models and features up to date for all versions through it's life, and additional features that needed extra space like those were only enabled on the newer versions. So if you don't think you'll need whatever gets added your III should stay up to date and useful.

The Chip itself isn't more powerful from what they're saying and the firmware itself isn't any larger to fit more things, so we shouldn't miss out on too much.
If the profiling patent thing ever come to fruition I could see where extra space to store "profiles" would be useful. Hopefully if something like that became a reality Fractal would give MK I users the option to give up some preset and IR storage space for "profiles". Heck, I only actively use part of the first 128 preset spots and only a few hundred IR spots. I could easily give up 1500 IR spaces and not even notice!

I think my Mk I will meet my needs, but I've been a proponent of the additional space for presets for a long time. I'll put my money where my mouth has been on that. Hopefully resale won't crater on the Mk I.

I think this update is for those who don't have the Fractal yet and some bigger names that want those features. I'm sure an XL will come as processing gets cheaper and cheaper.

Personally I want it for the tone of the extra flash.

I think my Mk I will meet my needs, but I've been a proponent of the additional space for presets for a long time. I'll put my money where my mouth has been on that. Hopefully resale won't crater on the Mk I.

You do realize that you have the ability to store as many presets as your computer storage will allow. ☁️

It is not wholly dependent on internal memory of the AxeFx three… Unless you’re saying that you need >512+ on hand all the time to gig with.

You do realize that you have the ability to store as many presets as your computer storage will allow. ☁

It is not wholly dependent on internal memory of the AxeFx three… Unless you’re saying that you need >512+ on hand all the time to gig with.

Yes, I am aware. I just like having them organized by source. I've bought a lot of packs from different sources, and sometimes I want to play around with some of them without having to backup changes, wipe and reload a new bank. Everybody is going to use their unit a different way. For some, their 10 gigging presets may be all they ever use. I like having choices when I'm feeling creative.

Fascinating...
plenty of firmware space...but more flash space...
...and the flash space may be dedicated to something other than presets

Fascinating...
plenty of firmware space...but more flash space...
...and the flash space may be dedicated to something other than presets

🤔 ...An RGB screen, ...so .. ... PacMan :0? 👀 ..just saw somebody play Doom on a pregnancy test window (which is somewhat fitting), so I’m SURE we can shoe-horn PacMan and/or Pong onto this thing, ...for between sets!

it's really very annoying. my ax fx3 is only several months old and already a new model? There should definitely be a way to upgrade my MK1 to MK2
Why? The Axe Fx III is now about 3 years old... Just because you just got it isn't really relevant.

The one you have still works as well as it always has and will continue to get updates for years.

By the way, there is a way to upgrade: sell your mkI and buy a mkII.

Seriously, the small amount of money you might lose is probably less than you'd post if there WAS an upgrade option,

I did this when I moved from Axe Fx II mkII to Axe Fx II XL+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom