Axe-Fx III Mk2

The AF3 literally JUST launched. People who are on the preorder list are still waiting for theirs. There has never been a worse time to ask this :D

Either way, based on history, you're looking at three to four years before an updated, 'xl' or 'ultra' or whatever Fractal calls it, comes out.

But as I said. It literally started shipping four weeks ago.

I think its gonna be a looooong wait. Much thought and expandability in the III and it doesn't look like this will have any limitations based on what modelers and devices like this do...buy now and buy often...

Based on the power and expandability of the very recently released AxeFX III, it will be a VERY long time before a Mk2 comes out so it is definitely best to purchase the AxeFX III now.

While I agree it should be a while, I'm always sceptical that any company looks upon initial releases as a kind of public beta where something unexpected may be flagged up that requires additional hardware. In this respect it would be ideal if the Axe-Fx III could accept future plug in hardware modules perhaps.
Hopefully it has been designed so that software alone will keep it at the top for many years.

Obviously 'smart' answers expected.

In addition the cost for European buyers is higher.

Current US price, $2499.99
Which is 2048 Euro

But the expected selling price in Europe is said to be 2700 Euro or $3295
This reinforces my thrifty concerns.

Edit: I don't know if there are extra taxes applied to the US price.

Last edited:
I'm in the EU so I'm in the same boat as you. 2700 Euros is not the same as 2500 dollars, certainly. But that's still a question of 'is it worth the money', not 'should you wait'. The way I see it, the product is at the absolute start of its life cycle, so ideas of a Mk2 are very premature. Look at the Kemper. It debuted in NAMM at 2011, and it still hasn't been updated.

where something unexpected may be flagged up that requires additional hardware.

You touch on something important here, and perhaps the reason to wait is to see if any possible teething problems with the arliest units are resolved. But if you sign up for the wait list now, you won't get yours for several months anyway so the wait is sort of implied! I'd also argue that the AF3 is exactly what you describe - a reaction to the requirement for additional hardware capability, which forced compromises in the modeling of the 2XL. The 3 is the response phase of that particular observation.

Either way, based on Fractal history, you're looking into the 2020s, before you see an updated model. It all depends on how long you're willing to wait - and then of course, should you wait for the next one, and so on.

In my opinion the best time to get into a product's life cycle is as early as possible, to maximize the growth of the unit's potential. That's why I'm on the waiting list.

When I bought my Dual Rectifier, I wasn't worried about them updating it and adding an extra channel and expanding the tonal options. I wanted a Dual Recto. I had the funds to acquire one, so I did. I began enjoying it the moment it arrived on my doorstep. Eventually Mesa came out with a new model that added a third channel giving the user more options, but I was still enjoying great tones from my Rev G 2 channel. A bit down the road Mesa updated the amp again with the Multi-Watt model and...you get where I'm going with this.

There are plenty of users that aren't filling up the III and II areas of the board still enjoying their ULTRA's, because they like the tones they are getting. I happened to be in a very nice situation financially, and I was also able to get on the list quite early, so I upgraded from my IIXL that served me well for the 4 years it was my main processor. If I hadn't bought the III, I'd still be enjoying some of the best tones modern modelling amps have to offer.

Look at all of the features that the XL and XL+ had, Quantum was still able to be ported to the older II's. I feel this type of legacy support really stands out, and I have no fear of what will come over the next 5 years or so in regards to software updates from FAS.

Wasn't the MKII in response to the need for alternative hardware? Like the screen or something? I think there was talk about semi future proofing the III to use readily available components. The processors on the III must be incredible because I CAN'T for the life of me run out of CPU even with ridiculously intensive patches.

I'd say the likelihood of a MK II version coming out any time in the next several years is small, but even if it did, it wouldn't represent a major shift to the platform so long as the underlying processors are still available.

If the cost point, or fears over retained value or longevity of the III is a concern, then it’s probably a good indicator one shouldn’t buy the III.

Buy a ax8, or II, ideally used, with most of the depreciation already accounted for. It still sounds great and will for years to come. You’ll be able to also get nearly what you paid for it if resale value is a concern.

Like it or not, but sooner or later the III will be worth 50% of what you paid today. My II was $2100 new, I got $1200 shipped when I sold it.

That is the cost of buying new and having the latest and greatest. If those costs aren’t acceptable, or one feels they can’t “lose” that much resale value, then they shouldn’t be buying.

There is always a bit of a “keeping up with the Jones” mentality on gear forums. Everyone else is getting the newest toys so we all want to be part of that, even if we aren’t all in a position to do that.

Luckily Fractal has great products at lots of price points so you don’t need to be the typical “blues lawyer or dentist” type to have a great sounding unit at a price that won’t cause you financial stress.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a new car again. I wait til the initial depreciation is gone and then buy slightly used for much less. Perhaps you should do the same. Wait a bit til the III is used and pick one up for $2k or less. Still will be great tech and if you sell or something new comes along you won’t lose much over what you paid

sooner or later the III will be worth 50% of what you paid today. My II was $2100 new, I got $1200 shipped when I sold it.

After the III was announced, right? A current III will likely hold its value for many years to come until the next generation unit is announced. Just time your sale for when it's out of stock at FAS and you'll likely get back almost what you paid for it. Been there, done that.

Key is that it “should” hold its value. I lucked out and got what I paid for my ax8, but I don’t think one should count on it.

When I buy tech, I assume it’s going to be worth 50% or less value. If that lose doesn’t fit my budget, I don’t buy.

Where I think people get into trouble is buying something expensive, thinking it will hold value if not go up. Then the market value crashes and they are stuck getting little back from something they couldn’t afford in the first place.

It’s the same for someone who bought a $1500 Klon or $1000 nkt275 red dot, thinking they could always get at least what they paid back, as it is for someone who buys a $300k home thinking it will be worth $400k next year, only to find the market crashed, its now worth $200k and they are making payments on $300k mortgage they can’t afford.

I think FAS gear is relatively “safe” but you just don’t know.

What if there is a ax8 mk2 announced at some point, or a III mk2, or some other brand makes something amazing, etc etc, tons of things could happen, probably won’t, but as a buyer we have zero control over what does or doesn’t get introduced. As such, we simply need to be willing to let the chips fall where they may and pay to play (and countless other cliche sayings lol)

Back
Top Bottom