Axe-Fx III Mk2 Incoming - some questions

FarleyUK

Inspired
Hi all,

My AFX3 is due by tomorrow, and after gorging myself on Leon's videos (awesome content, Leon!) I think I have an understanding of the basics. Coming from a Kemper - and an AX8 before that - I'm hoping it'll be a step-up :)

However, I do have a question that I couldn't see answers to. It may be very n00b-ish in nature, so bear with me...:

For recording, I have a Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) interface, connected to a couple of Yamaha HS8s. Would I be better connecting the AFX3 to the PC via:
  • USB, and using that as a direct interface - OR -
  • SPDIF into the 18i8 - OR -
  • Analog outs into the 18i8
I want to be able to hear the AFX3 through the monitors - along with the PC audio - so I'm assuming SPDIF to the 18i8 is the way to go, and then use the Focusrite mixer?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once it arrives...!

Thanks all :)

Another option is to use an external mixer. I connect both my Axe III and Focusrite analog outputs to an analog mixer. My HS8s are connected to the mixer outs. That way you can monitor the Axe directly without any extra latency imposed by playing through the Focusrite and computer. You can still record the Axe digitally either by SPDIF or USB.

Reamping is MUCH easier using USB. You've got 8x8 audio via USB so you can record a couple of processed stereo tracks plus DI tracks at the same time. SPDIF is just 2x2 I/O. If you monitor via the Focusrite there's no way to monitor or record a processed track and record a DI from the Axe III at the same time unless you do some panning tricks and split them on the grid to mono.

If you don't do reamping, it's a non issue. SPDIF is fine and you'll have no extra latency as long as you direct monitor the SPDIF input.

Another option is to use an external mixer. I connect both my Axe III and Focusrite analog outputs to an analog mixer. My HS8s are connected to the mixer outs. That way you can monitor the Axe directly without any extra latency imposed by playing through the Focusrite and computer. You can still record the Axe digitally either by SPDIF or USB.

This is what I do

With the Focusrite's direct monitoring, the input signal from the Axe-Fx III is sent straight to the line outputs/headphones, so there's virtually zero latency, or at least relatively no more than you'd notice when listening to the Axe-Fx through a mixer. In fact, if you run a pair of XLR cables from (the Axe-Fx) Output 1 to a couple of inputs on the Focusrite, you can monitor both USB and SPDIF through the Focusrite with the same near zero latency while keeping your monitors connected exclusively to the Focusrite.

Last edited:
With the Focusrite's direct monitoring, the input signal from the Axe-Fx III is sent straight to the line outputs/headphones, so there's virtually zero latency, or at least relatively no more than you'd notice when listening to the Axe-Fx through a mixer. In fact, if you run a pair of XLR cables from (the Axe-Fx) Output 1 to a couple of inputs on the Focusrite, you can monitor both USB and SPDIF through the Focusrite with the same near zero latency while keeping your monitors connected exclusively to the Focusrite.
I like this idea, do you know if this is possible on my RME Baby-face Pro?

Really stupid question.... but why would I do that instead of just using USB / SPDIF?

Really stupid question.... but why would I do that instead of just using USB / SPDIF?

It depends on your use case. If you don't reamp, then either connection may be suitable. If you do reamp, USB is going to be the most convenient/efficient, as pointed out by mr_fender. However, if you already have an audio interface with SPDIF support, you may not want to use USB exclusively but still like the idea of using it to reamp.

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to get my head around all the options etc., and think I might have confused myself...

As mentioned, I have the AFX3 connected via USB to the laptop, and also via SPDIF to the Focusrite18i8. I’ve been trying to record in Studio One, and also use EZDrummer in there. I’ve managed to do it, but there was quite a high latency; when I turned it to use the AFX3 as the interface, the latency was much lower.... but I couldn’t get any output.

Is it possible to use the USB for the AFX3 as the input, but use the outputs from the Focusrite...?

Sorry, I’ve never really tried all this before; might just be easier to get another cable from the Outputs of the AFX3 to my monitors (but even then, can I also hear the PC audio from backing tracks and the other tracks on Studio One etc....?).

Spdif should be pretty much the same speed as usb. Make sure you have the fractal clocking to the interface. Make sure your interface is set to lowest buffer setting as well.

Yeah, they’re connected to the interface.

I’m assuming if I just had the monitors connected via the AFX3, I could just use that as the direct monitor, hear all PC audio etc.?

Yes, you could, but that leads to the issue I had with using the Axe-Fx III as my primary interface: the Axe-Fx III has to be turned on any time you want to hear audio (any audio) from the PC.

The latency of the Focusrite is determined by the buffer size. What's the current buffer size set to for the Focusrite? If you have a Focusrite icon in the system tray, right click it and select settings.

Last edited:
Yes, you could, but that leads to the issue I had with using the Axe-Fx III as my primary interface: the Axe-Fx III has to be turned on any time you want to hear audio (any audio) from the PC.

The latency of the Focusrite is determined by the buffer size. What's the current buffer size set to for the Focusrite? If you have a Focusrite icon in the system tray, right click it and select settings.
Curious why you’re opposed to just leaving the fractal on? I think a lot of users use it as a primary interface and leave it on days if not longer. Mine stays on for good lengths of time too.

Curious why you’re opposed to just leaving the fractal on? I think a lot of users use it as a primary interface and leave it on days if not longer. Mine stays on for good lengths of time too.

Days or weeks, okay. But I leave my primary interface on 24/7 365 days a year for years at a time. Do I want to put that kind of wear on a piece of hardware that cost over $2K+? Not really, but that's me.

Days or weeks, okay. But I leave my primary interface on 24/7 365 days a year for years at a time. Do I want to put that kind of wear on a piece of hardware that cost over $2K+? Not really, but that's me.
I guess I shouldn’t say how much my interface sent me back
Interface, Adam monitors, computer, eventide H9000, midi controllers are always on here. I’m more concerned with the electric bill than anything else.

I guess I shouldn’t say how much my interface sent me back Interface, Adam monitors, computer, eventide H9000, midi controllers are always on here. I’m more concerned with the electric bill than anything else.

I wouldn't be concerned about leaving an expensive interface powered on long-term because I think they're designed with constant use in mind, and MIDI is often built-in. I leave my computer running 24/7, but I wouldn't need to pack it up and ship it off if something failed. However, if I owned a pair of $2K+ monitors, I'd likely turn them off when I'm not using them.

I wouldn't be concerned about leaving an expensive interface powered on long-term because I think they're designed with constant use in mind, and MIDI is often built-in. I leave my computer running 24/7, but I wouldn't need to pack it up and ship it off if something failed. However, if I owned a pair of $2K+ monitors, I'd likely turn them off when I'm not using them.
Hope I’m not jinxing anything but they’ve been on for several months at a time and are 13 years old. They only power down with the room, if I go on vacation or will be gone for a period of time.

Back
Top Bottom