Axe-Fx III Mk II initial impressions

Sorenspete

Inspired
It can sense your fear, but it is the real deal.

p1000458-jpg.98726

I've had my Axe-Fx III Mk II for less than a week, but I'm already beginning to get a sense of what it's about. People will tell you the thing is plug-and-play, but it's not. Paradoxically, as a plug-and-play processor it would be good for the very people who probably aren't serious enough to spend the amount of money it costs. For those who are more discerning and learned, the Axe-Fx III Mk II is not to be trifled with, underestimated, or slept on. As you'll have heard, it is "the most powerful guitar signal processor in the world". 100% true. But there's a reason for that: if you don't have extensive knowledge of recording, amplification, and sound engineering principles, you are going to struggle to get this thing to do what you want. You might even be a great guitar player and still find that you can't get the tones you have heard either from real amps or from the Axe-Fx III in action. The bottom line is this: the factory presets are baselines, but they aren't great. If you want the tones you've been promised you have to be prepared to tweak every knob and do a lot of homework. Is it worth it? Yes. Will it take time and effort? Also yes. Some guys aren't "tweakers". I am. You might be. Or you might not be. And if you aren't, your ideals you had about this unit are going to fly out the window very quickly.

These units clearly are manufactured to very high standards, and the fit and finish is outstanding.

The amount on options you wouldn't even think would be there that are is incredible, and no - in my opinion the front panel interface is not "near impossible" to use once you get used to it. The unit has so many helpful tools, and the tuner is fantastic.

If you want to forego guitar speaker cabinets and physical power amps, you have to do your research on PA's/studio monitors, because you can't just put them anywhere, and you won't be rewarded for cheaping out on them. The question of buying an Axe-Fx III is more of a question of whether you want to buy an Axe-Fx III AND two (very good) studio monitors/speakers/etc. (obviously this isn't an issue if you're running power amp/s and speaker cabinet/s).

The sheer amount of possibilities that the Axe-Fx III presents is staggering (you may have heard the phrase "option paralysis"). This unit really is the kind of thing we could only have dreamed of 30 years ago, but it's a reality now. The way I see it, you're buying $500,000 worth of gear for $4,000 NZD. The Axe-Fx III is a no brainer for those with the wherewithal to tame it.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said….
I had a very steep learning curve when i decided to purchase the axefx3 3 years ago. I downloaded the manual before i made the leap and studied it. And after i got it I spent months reading a applying and making notes Then i got to the point that i was extremely happy with the results and the tone i was getting and just played. When you get the sounds you hear in your head you just play and play. My playing ability has skyrocketed since. The best musical purchase i have ever made…. Period

I read the manual while it was on the way, in 2019. I took a week off from work and spent 72+ hours going through all parameters, learning midi etc. I found that paid huge dividends in understanding subsequent tutorials and figuring new things out, ever since. You get what you put in with this unit.

What? You don’t like dual delays followed by long reverb on a vintage amp? Are you saying you can’t discern what the amp sounds like when it’s drenched in effects? 😁

yeah I agree. I bought it because I love tweaking every parameter. Most of the times I just want the raw amp sound but I love everything packed into the Fractal. Plus, to me, it just sounds better.

As a bedroom/home player, I was unconsciously incompetent for a good while with this thing - laughably so. But I’ve really enjoyed the learning curve/path. My dad always told me, “a man needs a hobby”. What a great product and company with which to take on the journey.

Chur!
When I got mine I intended to use it just for FX in the loop of my Mark IV. Said Mark IV is now sitting in the corner, looking pretty and getting switched on every few months or so.
I went through a few factory presets and relatively soon decided I better start from scratch so I scrapped them all. I don't have any background in sound engineering but have been tinkering with amps for a while. Starting simple, building presets from the ground up worked for me once I wrapped my head around a few Fractal specific concepts like channels and scenes. In my mind I got pretty neat tones pretty quickly, quicker then with physical, analog, tube equipment. And without the electric shocks, so that's a plus.
I totally agree, you get a ton of gear for the fraction of the price and without the ground loops. A complete guitar studio basically for a few grand.

Back
Top Bottom