Axe Fx III & Mission Engineering

cheopsnet

Inspired
Looking for right do-it-all Mission Engineering expression pedal and VERY confused by the amount of different models available.

INTENDED USE: Depending on the preset, I want the pedal to be able to control wah, volume, amount of effect, .. I also want to pedal to not need external power (but instead to function when solely plugged into the Axe III or the tbd Fractal pedalboard). SP1? Pro-Aero line? Else?

What model would you guys recommend?

Thks!

I’d get a sp1, spring loaded for wah

I don’t like mission pedals for things like volume because the travel is too short. They are crybaby style housing with the same sweep range, great for fast up and down wah or whammy effects, not get for adjusting a delay mix

I’d get a fractal ev2 for things like volume and such, they have a nice travel, but then aren’t ideal for wah

You’ll enjoy a $2499 a lot more with at least 2 pedals imo

Thanks @lqdsnddist !

So SP1 for wah/Whammy and EV line (1 or 2) for volume/delays/etc.? Have you tried the pro-aero line a shot? Seems to have a wider range so perhaps good for all aforementioned use?

Thanks again

Never tried them, seemed a bit pricey to me

While they ev1 and 2 are great I personally use old Ernie ball vp jr. pedals which I swap the audio taper pot for a linear pot, find a cheap used one, maybe with a scratch pot for next to nothing, $5 or so in parts and you’ve got a great exp pedal

I do love spring loaded missions though for wah, with auto engage in the axe you step on the pedal, wah comes on, take you foot off the pedal, wah goes back to bypass.

I like that better than a touch switch myself as I hate not activating or not going off if I don’t step hard enough

I think the non switch ones are he EP1 series, and also the cheapest, though a spring option adds like $15

+1 for the spring loaded SP1 for Wah is a definite, and the EV1/2 are perfect for effects or volume. This is what I use and I would never change that.

I like The SP-25 pro. Set it up so that it always controls volume or when the switch is engaged it turns the wah on. Rarely have a mishap, it's a nice switch.

Looking for right do-it-all Mission Engineering expression pedal and VERY confused by the amount of different models available.

Spring loaded SP1 with toe switch and LED option for Wah... everything else, EV1 or EV2. Minimum of 2x pedals are best with one spring loaded for Wah, IMHO.

Have fun@

I like The SP-25 pro. Set it up so that it always controls volume or when the switch is engaged it turns the wah on.

Hmmmm... I never thought of that. SMRT... S.M.R.T. You are so SMRT. I think I'd miss the spring in the wah too much. Now, I must run and try! :)

+2 on the spring loaded EP-1 for wah. I love it. I use another regular one for volume and other duties. I just like the look and feel of them mainly cause they remind me of Dunlop pedals.

Last edited:
I have two EP-1 non-spring loaded and no switch, to cover vol, wah, gain, whammy and everything in between. I love the treadle angle and the sweep is great for all my needs, including volume swells and whammy.

I have tried them all and the angle of the Fractal pedals is too steep to be comfortable for me. The shallower Mission angle is perfect and very comfortable.

I have tried them all and the angle of the Fractal pedals is too steep to be comfortable for me. The shallower Mission angle is perfect and very comfortable.

Or you can do what I did...I have a stock one for volume swells and stuff and I took a couple of large, self-adhesive rubber feet and stuck them to the base just underneath the heel which limited the sweep range of the pedal and then calibrated the AxeFx controller to work within that range. Works like a charm and only took a couple of minutes and a couple of bucks to make happen.

I have two sp-1’s non spring with the toe switch.
I also have an ev2

Both are very good but feel much different.

I didn’t do spring load on the mission pedals because sometimes I like to turn wah on and leave it in one spot...if that is something you do - kinda of satriani like then consider that.

A lot of times I want to click the pedal and just get a treble boost, take my foot off and go back to it or turn it off. If I want spring I use a thick rubber band.

The ev1/2 are also Rock solid. Much longer sweep so I do agree if you are used a crybaby or whammy pedal, the mission is closer.

Volume swells in either work. The mission is much closer to a morley volume pedal - which I used for years.

The Aeros feel a lot like the EV 1. Much more sweep.

To be honest...my own foot goes back only so far lol. The extra sweep isn’t all the important for me...it’s the timimg of the swell-either way you can’t go wrong with either pedal.

Someone asked for a picture of the "$3 dollar" spring mod for mission...prob nothing new, but I just use a heavy duty bike tire tube and cut it about 3/8 of an inch. This is super strong and I can un-mod it when I want...The factory spring set up or non-spring set up can't be switched, so this gives me both...IT works fine with the EV pedals as well for those long sweepers...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 113
Genius.
Someone asked for a picture of the "$3 dollar" spring mod for mission...prob nothing new, but I just use a heavy duty bike tire tube and cut it about 3/8 of an inch. This is super strong and I can un-mod it when I want...The factory spring set up or non-spring set up can't be switched, so this gives me both...IT works fine with the EV pedals as well for those long sweepers...

So simple but so effective!

I wonder if this would work on a Dunlop DVP-4 Mini Expression Pedal?

That pedal has an expression jack so it should. I tried that patch with just one expression output on my mission and it worked fine. the good thing about this patch is AXE does the lifting and your pedal doesn't. I have the EV-1 ,which minus the tuner on the dunlop, has the same jacks and it also worked

Back
Top Bottom