Axe Fx III & Mission Engineering

That pedal has an expression jack so it should. I tried that patch with just one expression output on my mission and it worked fine. the good thing about this patch is AXE does the lifting and your pedal doesn't. I have the EV-1 ,which minus the tuner on the dunlop, has the same jacks and it also worked

Thanks, I meant with the tire tube rubber band thing on the DVP4

Hi:

I’m trying to understand the difference between the EP-1 and SP-1 and which I should get. I want one for volume, and the other for Wah. I am not sure yet between spring loaded or switch (or both?) for the Wah. Anyone able to help me out? This will be for an Axe III and FC-12.

Thank you!! 🙏

Hi:

I’m trying to understand the difference between the EP-1 and SP-1 and which I should get. I want one for volume, and the other for Wah. I am not sure yet between spring loaded or switch (or both?) for the Wah. Anyone able to help me out? This will be for an Axe III and FC-12.

Thank you!! 🙏
The switch IS the difference. EP == no switch, SP == switch.

I use EP spring loaded. No switch - it comes on and off via auto engage. Works perfectly for me. I do the same thing for Whammy.

Thanks. So, I think I’m confused on what the two outputs are used for on the SP with the axe?
One is a TRS jack for the expression pedal.

One is a TS for the switch.

Remember, no audio goes thru an expression pedal. You can't switch it on and off... You can only send switching signal to the Axe Fx to turn something on or off.

That means you need two cables and 2 jacks in your device as well (one expression, one switch).

Thanks! So, if I have a standard ep-1, the pedal is always ‘on’ and just adjusts the signal, but the sp-1 with switch allows me to turn ‘off’ (if that makes sense)? So if I plan to use my fc-12 for ‘switching’ -between- blocks, I don’t need the switch (though it would in effect give me an extra on/off button), but having the switch could turn on/off say the Wah if I wanted, or I could get an ep-1 with spring and set to auto engage for the Wah? In other words more options with sp-1 but for my purposes not absolutely necessary but maybe nice to have? My last question then is if using to turn on/off wah if don’t use auto engage, or even just using the switch for something else, what jacks on the axe am I using? Is it 2 expression jacks and the switch is just toggling between the two? Sorry if I’m being dense.....

Thanks! So, if I have a standard ep-1, the pedal is always ‘on’ and just adjusts the signal, but the sp-1 with switch allows me to turn ‘off’ (if that makes sense)? So if I plan to use my fc-12 for ‘switching’ -between- blocks, I don’t need the switch (though it would in effect give me an extra on/off button), but having the switch could turn on/off say the Wah if I wanted, or I could get an ep-1 with spring and set to auto engage for the Wah? In other words more options with sp-1 but for my purposes not absolutely necessary but maybe nice to have? My last question then is if using to turn on/off wah if don’t use auto engage, or even just using the switch for something else, what jacks on the axe am I using? Is it 2 expression jacks and the switch is just toggling between the two? Sorry if I’m being dense.....
An expression pedal isn't on or off. It merely provides a control which can be assigned to control a virtual parameter (or parameters).

This is typically translated to midi values from 0-127. When assigned to the Control parameter of the Wah block, that moves the parameter from 0-10, thus sweeping the virtual Wah from heel down to toe down.

If you were using the SP-1 you would assign the switch as an external controller or FC switch, and then assign that to the bypass control of the Wah block. That way the switch on the SP-1 turns the Wah (block) on/off.

With auto engage, the block will turn on or off automatically.

Yes, you could use the switch to control something else and still use auto engage... But then you'd have to sweep the Wah to hit the switch. Not very practical.

If you have an FC, you'd connect the TRS jack to one of the pedal jacks and the TS jack to one of the switch jacks.

So, given my intended purposes, recommdarion?
Get an EP-1 with spring for Wah and one without spring for volume.

Or consider another variety for volume as the sweep on the EP-1 is not as large as some others like the EV-1. Some people prefer a longer sweep for volume.

Thanks! Do you think it would make sense to get an EP for volume but an SP for the Wah for the added flexibility!(and in case I decided not to use auto engage sometimes for whatever reason)?

On my AX8 I used to use one SP-1 for Wah and Volume. Default was volume and I could switch on wah when I needed, just needed to switch it back off. It worked pretty well, but 2 dedicated pedals would be the best.

Thanks! Do you think it would make sense to get an EP for volume but an SP for the Wah for the added flexibility!(and in case I decided not to use auto engage sometimes for whatever reason)?
I think you've got to decide if that makes sense for you.

For me, I never liked Wah because I hated the switch... Until I discovered the Morley Bad Horsie II which is a spring loaded optical switching wah. Later I switched to the Dunlop 95Q - same idea but it's a Cry Baby. So the spring loaded expression pedal with auto engage is almost identical to use.

If you're accustomed to using a switch you can get similar behavior without a spring or switch by setting auto engage at 95% instead of 5%.

Last question - can you use the EP with switch as just an EP w/o if turns out you don’t like the switch? (Just not plug in the TS?)

Back
Top Bottom