Axe-Fx III menus extremely slow all of a sudden [solved]

dschaaf

Experienced
Hi, long time Axe FX owner since 2012 so VERY familiar with normally functionality etc. I am running an Axe FX III w/ FW 15.01 and just yesterday it started to sound a bit odd in one of the presets and them seemed slow (laggy) when changing presets etc. To note, Axe Edit is NOT connected.
I have reset the system parameters under utilities and re-booted but it is still very laggy. For example when I click the setup menu it takes a few seconds after selecting an option for it to populate. Similarly, when trying to re-calibrate my foot pedal (connected to FC6) and I select "enter" when I move the pedal the calibration meter on the Axe moves seconds later after I move the pedal.

To recap:
  1. FW 15.01
  2. reset system parameters
  3. re-booted
  4. re-installed 15.01
  5. tried various presets etc
  6. same issue.
I have just never experienced this in all my years with the Axe.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or have suggestions?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:
What previous FW were you running before updating?
What is the CPU showing?
Is it slow even for empty presets?

What previous FW were you running before updating?
What is the CPU showing?
Is it slow even for empty presets?
I was previously running 15.01 when it was fine and then just re-installed it to see if that would make any difference.

I think you solved it though in asking about the CPU. When I tried difference presets I was mainly doing so to ensure they worked and that one wasn't corrupt etc. The main preset I was on at the time (which was one I had been using for a long time with no changes) does in fact have high CPU usage of 92.5%. When I re-tested doing all the same things as above (settings changes, pedal config etc) while being on a low CPU usage preset, everything runs smoothly as expected. When I then went back to the high usage preset, I again experienced the lag when doing all these changes which I guess would indicate that so much of the system resources were being used for the preset the rest of the system slowed down… which totally makes sense. I suppose I had never been on such a high CPU usage preset when trying to do system config before and therefore never encountered this issue.

I will continue to monitor but I feel confident that this may have been the culprit.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

D

Hi, long time Axe FX owner since 2012 so VERY familiar with normally functionality etc. I am running an Axe FX III w/ FW 15.01 and just yesterday it started to sound a bit odd in one of the presets and them seemed slow (laggy) when changing presets etc. To note, Axe Edit is NOT connected.
I have reset the system parameters under utilities and re-booted but it is still very laggy. For example when I click the setup menu it takes a few seconds after selecting an option for it to populate. Similarly, when trying to re-calibrate my foot pedal (connected to FC6) and I select "enter" when I move the pedal the calibration meter on the Axe moves seconds later after I move the pedal.

To recap:
  1. FW 15.01
  2. reset system parameters
  3. re-booted
  4. re-installed 15.01
  5. tried various presets etc
  6. same issue.
I have just never experienced this in all my years with the Axe.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or have suggestions?

Thanks,
Derek

I had this happen. Redownloaded the FW and reinstalled it and everything was back to normal. Also the first time this has happened to me.

92.5% is really high! To quote the manual: "The maximum allowable load is about 80%, and if you manage to get much above that, audio performance may be compromised."

I was previously running 15.01 when it was fine and then just re-installed it to see if that would make any difference.

I think you solved it though in asking about the CPU. When I tried difference presets I was mainly doing so to ensure they worked and that one wasn't corrupt etc. The main preset I was on at the time (which was one I had been using for a long time with no changes) does in fact have high CPU usage of 92.5%. When I re-tested doing all the same things as above (settings changes, pedal config etc) while being on a low CPU usage preset, everything runs smoothly as expected. When I then went back to the high usage preset, I again experienced the lag when doing all these changes which I guess would indicate that so much of the system resources were being used for the preset the rest of the system slowed down… which totally makes sense. I suppose I had never been on such a high CPU usage preset when trying to do system config before and therefore never encountered this issue.

I will continue to monitor but I feel confident that this may have been the culprit.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

D

92.5% is really high! To quote the manual: "The maximum allowable load is about 80%, and if you manage to get much above that, audio performance may be compromised."
Thank you. Yes it was someone else's preset that I had downloaded and had never really paid super close attention to how high the CPU usage was...LOL. Good to know about the 80% threshold.

Thx
Derek

The CPU on diode-based drives jumped (+3%) in 12.x, and in 15.x the amp CPU may have increased as well (has anyone confirmed?).

Depending on when that preset was made, the CPU might have been on the edge but in 15.x it might have bumped up due to one or both of these increases.

Last edited:
Wow 92.5% is high, I started feeling sluggish menus on the FC12 when I tried to get mine to run at 85%! Albeit I did have Axe Edit running and the FC12 connected, but removing the looper I never used from my preset fixed that problem. Also I do think it is cool that we can push the CPU limit in the Axe and we can get it past the “ideal“ point and that we’re not limited on what we can put in a preset based on that like other platforms. It feels more flexible that way IMO

Back
Top Bottom