Axe-Fx III, Matrix GT1000FX and 2 NL12 speakers

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
Just got these 2 matrix NL12 speakers and I think I have what I need now for the rig. These things are amazing! The AF3 seems to come more alive compared to my Marshall 1936 2x12. Got them from the forum for sale threads. Gonna have to stop there more often!

The matrix site is down, was trying to get the specs, but all I can say is wow!

Learning slowly as I go, but I feel I am making progress with the AF3 now. Had a great band rehearsal this last Monday with the AF3 and it was a really good time.

To the newbs(like me) with the AF3 - don't give up. Have patience, read and you will get your tones. Good equipment is involved, but that would go for any sound you are looking for anyway.

The early NL12s used a Celestion G12 Century Vintage Neo as the speaker. Pretty Greenback-ish in flavour and the low mids pretty neutral. We changed over to a custom built speaker which is a Neo V30 clone, both speakers 60w.

Wish I knew you name, but thanks for the reply. :)

The matrix site was down yesterday, glad it got fixed.

Would like to see which ones these are - they rock whatever is in there though I know that much. Are these even made anymore? They are not available on the website.

Yes we still make them and sell them. The US has been out of stock for a while but there should be a shipment coming in soon (on it's way now). You may be able to tell which speakers are in the cab by removing the front grille (velcroed on so a pull on the tab with some pliers should do the trick) and looking at the colour of the speaker basket (the metal frame). The Celestion has a silver frame and the V30 clone is black. If you want to take the speaker out and check that's fine. The Celestions are labelled and the V30 clone is unmarked on the rear of the magnet.

thanks for the reply. That speaker is in there very tight and I did not want to dork anything up. I can pull the handle and look at the basket there. :)

Most Neo speakers have the same characteristic of being a bit brighter on the very top end and also having a little more extension. So when a "normal" guitar speaker would start to roll off at around 5khz, a Neodymium equipped one will possibly roll off around 6-7khz depending on the speaker. So as far as the V30 clone goes, you will have that extra brightness but generally that low mid/mid hump the V30 is known for is still there as well as that spike around 2khz. These give it it's "scooped" character.

Back
Top Bottom