Axe-Fx III & Mastermind GT16 (/10 - /22) configuration

Tilt

Inspired
Hi, while waintig Fractal Rjm to create the autoconfig, I would try to configure some basic settings:

Bank up/down
Presets
Scenes
Channels (for both effects and amps)
effects on/of
Tap tempo
Tuner
Looper (maybe this one is not possible without bidirectional communication?)

At first I have programmed the Axe III, following this guide step by step:

https://www.cabir.eu/_external_cont...utorial_Fractalaudio_MFC-101+Axe-FXIII_EN.pdf

Now I have to program the GT, but I haven't the knowledge to do it, because when I did it for the Kemper the Mastermind did everything herself :)

Is there is here any kind soul who have already done it and could explain it to me like "to a child"?
:confused:

Thanks in advance

Hi, while waintig Fractal Rjm to create the autoconfig, I would try to configure some basic settings:

Bank up/down
Presets
Scenes
Channels (for both effects and amps)
effects on/of
Tap tempo
Tuner
Looper (maybe this one is not possible without bidirectional communication?)

At first I have programmed the Axe III, following this guide step by step:

https://www.cabir.eu/_external_cont...utorial_Fractalaudio_MFC-101+Axe-FXIII_EN.pdf

Now I have to program the GT, but I haven't the knowledge to do it, because when I did it for the Kemper the Mastermind did everything herself :)

Is there is here any kind soul who have already done it and could explain it to me like "to a child"?
:confused:

Thanks in advance
Have you tried the RJM forum. There may be someone on there that has the AXE3. Let me know if you find anything as I am looking as well. I am also going to play around with it a little.

Have you tried the RJM forum. There may be someone on there that has the AXE3. Let me know if you find anything as I am looking as well. I am also going to play around with it a little.

i also posted there.
I will inform you if I found something

;)

I’m new to RJM GT and midi in general. Am interested in getting some basic functionality going next week when I get my Axe3.

The setup is fairly straightforward as midi goes, although there is a lot to getting it exactly where you want, and I had to visit with Ron more than once to get it all sorted. I'd suggest you start with one preset and get it working like you want. Get preset selection and IA setup for effects going. That will teach you a lot. Then you can add scenes, and once that is working, channels. Because one preset can have hundreds of options, it's safe to say that would be a good starting place.

Confirming, you have the MMGT 16? Depending on the available IAs, you may have to include multiple pages of selection choices to fit all you want in. I have the 22, and still ended up putting buttons on a second page when trying channels, and you can have up to 16 pages, so it can get hairy in a hurry!

I will try to help as soon as I know what you're attempting. :) In honesty, to explain all you listed in step by step form would be a manual unto itself!

As one more option, perhaps if someone here is using the 16 and is willing to share their setup, you could load it up and see how they are doing what they are doing. I'm not sure what happens if you load a 22 file into a 16, though I do recall reading somewhere that it can be done.

Last edited:
The setup is fairly straightforward as midi goes, although there is a lot to getting it exactly where you want, and I had to visit with Ron more than once to get it all sorted. I'd suggest you start with one preset and get it working like you want. Get preset selection and IA setup for effects going. That will teach you a lot. Then you can add scenes, and once that is working, channels. Because one preset can have hundreds of options, it's safe to say that would be a good starting place.

Confirming, you have the MMGT 16? Depending on the available IAs, you may have to include multiple pages of selection choices to fit all you want in. I have the 22, and still ended up putting buttons on a second page when trying channels, and you can have up to 16 pages, so it can get hairy in a hurry!

I will try to help as soon as I know what you're attempting. :) In honesty, to explain all you listed in step by step form would be a manual unto itself!

As one more option, perhaps if someone here is using the 16 and is willing to share their setup, you could load it up and see how they are doing what they are doing. I'm not sure what happens if you load a 22 file into a 16, though I do recall reading somewhere that it can be done.

at first thanks for you reply,I confirm, I have the GT16, so I understand I'll probably need to use more of 1 page (I think 3 should go, because in the first i'd like to have:

10 preset
bank up
bank down
tuner
tap
page
I/a

in the second one:
Scenes and channels

in the third
other channels and looper

said that, I have to start from somewhere. Will follow your tip: first goal is to set the switch to recall preset 1 (actually 401) on the first button on the bottom left

Great starting place. If I recall right, the presets will work best set up in order. If you can find a place to put them in the sequential order you want to see them on your pedal, all the better. It will avoid mapping them and all that comes with that. I just cleared some room up front because I built my first preset on the 005 Double Verb, so I moved the amps from the next 3 presets (006,007,008) elsewhere so I could use these to load up the ones I wanted, in the order I wanted them. In my case, I have the Double Verb in 005, the Triptik in 006 (with the Tucana in Scene 4), the Solo 100 in 007, and the Friedman BE in 008. They are plugged in on the first four buttons of the bottom row on my MMGT.

So, if you're going to start with preset 401, you may have to change some other things in the MMGT to recognize presets above 127. I can give you the tips I got from Ron on that if you need them.

Great starting place. If I recall right, the presets will work best set up in order. If you can find a place to put them in the sequential order you want to see them on your pedal, all the better. It will avoid mapping them and all that comes with that. I just cleared some room up front because I built my first preset on the 005 Double Verb, so I moved the amps from the next 3 presets (006,007,008) elsewhere so I could use these to load up the ones I wanted, in the order I wanted them. In my case, I have the Double Verb in 005, the Triptik in 006 (with the Tucana in Scene 4), the Solo 100 in 007, and the Friedman BE in 008. They are plugged in on the first four buttons of the bottom row on my MMGT.

So, if you're going to start with preset 401, you may have to change some other things in the MMGT to recognize presets above 127. If you'd like, I can start a PM and give you some tips there.

uhm ok, to make it more easy I could start with preset 1 - 59 Bassguy, at the moment I just need to understand and learn the method
Would be nice your PM :)

So is it better to move the factory presets out of the way or start your own at 401 ? I do like having the factory around for reference. I could see dedicating a page to looper functions. I have the GT22.

So is it better to move the factory presets out of the way or start your own at 401 ? I do like having the factory around for reference. I could see dedicating a page to looper functions. I have the GT22.
I keep all the factory presets. I like them as building blocks and they are great for learning how the person who created them got to the sound of the preset. I just move them to other places so I can have things where I need them. Remember, you can always reload the factory presets, by individual or banks. I love that about the FAS gear.

I just find it easier to have them in the same order as I want to see them on the pedal, so I can also use the jog wheel on the front panel to change between them while leveling, etc. It makes programming the pedal much more linear as well... just easier for me to keep straight in my mind.

Got it. IA Mode info from the manual on the PM, along with the easiest way to put your 10 effects under IA mode without having to use a second page. I hope it is helpful!

I recently bought the GT16 to use with the III. Love it. I also had been keeping my presets starting with 400. I wrote Ron about it. In the end, I just moved the first dozen factory presets to late 300s and put mine in 1-12. I did put a bug in Ron's ear about being able to program the GT presets to any number so we wouldn't have to play musical chairs. My old Voodolab could and so did the MFC. I would think the best and most powerful controller should be able to as well. It seemed like a new and odd idea to him. We'll see.

I recently bought the GT16 to use with the III. Love it. I also had been keeping my presets starting with 400. I wrote Ron about it. In the end, I just moved the first dozen factory presets to late 300s and put mine in 1-12. I did put a bug in Ron's ear about being able to program the GT presets to any number so we wouldn't have to play musical chairs. My old Voodolab could and so did the MFC. I would think the best and most powerful controller should be able to as well. It seemed like a new and odd idea to him. We'll see.
Totally agree. I don't pretend to understand all the interactions of settings in the MMGT, but I am sure it could be done without borking the whole deal. Ron is great about working with customer requests, so I anticipate he'll give your suggestion fair play!

Totally agree. I don't pretend to understand all the interactions of settings in the MMGT, but I am sure it could be done without borking the whole deal. Ron is great about working with customer requests, so I anticipate he'll give your suggestion fair play!

Agreed. Ron and Sherry have great customer service. :checkeredflag:

Damn I bought one of these units and figured doing the “bank up” could use that more as a screen up and configure whatever FS for what ever program change/patch I needed. I didn’t want to sort my patches in order

Damn I bought one of these units and figured doing the “bank up” could use that more as a screen up and configure whatever FS for what ever program change/patch I needed. I didn’t want to sort my patches in order

if I did understand what you mean you could use the setlist / song mode to put the patches in line as you wish.

Back
Top Bottom