Axe-Fx III Manual Update

I read a lot, and unless a given work is unavailable electronically I almost never read paper books anymore. Kindle is easier on the eyes and the brain for me. Speaking of which, would an ePub version of the manual be desirable?
Very cool! I’d be interested.

I setup my MIDI footswitch to toggle the main tuner today, Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place in the manual but I found the SETUP details for setting the CC# fine but it's pretty vague about the CC# + a value of >63 to ENTER into the tuner and CC# + a value of <63 to EXIT. The way I read the manual, I initially thought a CC# with no value would toggle but it doesn't.

I apologize if I just misunderstood or missed a detail along the way... but, if I'm not losing my mind, a small edit to the manual might benefit future users.

Just my 2cents.... Overall, it's a great manual and I too would like to see it published as a ePub

I setup my MIDI footswitch to toggle the main tuner today, Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place in the manual but I found the SETUP details for setting the CC# fine but it's pretty vague about the CC# + a value of >63 to ENTER into the tuner and CC# + a value of <63 to EXIT. The way I read the manual, I initially thought a CC# with no value would toggle but it doesn't.

I apologize if I just misunderstood or missed a detail along the way... but, if I'm not losing my mind, a small edit to the manual might benefit future users.

Just my 2cents.... Overall, it's a great manual and I too would like to see it published as a ePub
Pretty much like all IAs... On and Off values (typically 127 and 0 but as the manual describes is correct).

Can you tell us what section of the manual you're referring to?

There's no such thing as a MIDI CC message with no value.

Can you tell us what section of the manual you're referring to?

There's no such thing as a MIDI CC message with no value.

PG 156 - MIDI/REMOTE: OTHER PAGE (Tuner Parameter) - no mention of 0 and 127 as setting states.

I agree that it might be clear to some or even most users. I'm not very experienced with MIDI. What you say makes sense but it would have been immediately understood if the manual was explicit. Regarding your comment about 'no value'.... this also makes sense. I think I was confused after reading a forum post earlier in the day about MIDI inc/dec of scenes where the comment said 'no value' but maybe they meant 'ignored or irrelevant'. Anyway, I get it now.

I wasn't trying to be obtuse... If I'm the only one that misunderstood, then I stand corrected. The manual would benefit from this clarification.

Thanks.

PG 156 - MIDI/REMOTE: OTHER PAGE (Tuner Parameter) - no mention of 0 and 127 as setting states.

I agree that it might be clear to some or even most users. I'm not very experienced with MIDI. What you say makes sense but it would have been immediately understood if the manual was explicit. Regarding your comment about 'no value'.... this also makes sense. I think I was confused after reading a forum post earlier in the day about MIDI inc/dec of scenes where the comment said 'no value' but maybe they meant 'ignored or irrelevant'. Anyway, I get it now.

I wasn't trying to be obtuse... If I'm the only one that misunderstood, then I stand corrected. The manual would benefit from this clarification.

Thanks.
Yeah. That's mostly just experience speaking. Every midi controller I've ever used (6 or 7) or read about just sends 0/127. Many have no capacity to even define the data value, which means they won't be able to control scenes or channels properly.

I read a lot, and unless a given work is unavailable electronically I almost never read paper books anymore. Kindle is easier on the eyes and the brain for me.
I cannot hack the screen blacking out between pages on eink devices.. and kindle, literally, spies on you. So, f* that. I read on a tablet sometimes but like paper, too. This is like a tubes vs modeling debate, I suppose... But I’m a little more old school on this one. ;)

WRT ePub: I’d take an ePub for my pad, though.

Thanks.
I get what you're saying. If you're new to MIDI, there are a few bumps to figure out (thankfully, only a few — MIDI is really intuitive, once you're familiar with it). But I get why the manual doesn't mention the CC value thing. There are lots of things in the Axe-Fx that use CC messages to turn things on or off. There are hundreds of places in the manual where that bit of information would be relevant. MIDI is a 35-year-old industry-wide standard, and I get why Fractal might choose to save a few thousand words by figuring that people would get that information elsewhere.

The cool thing is that you figured it out. Even cooler: once you've figured it out, you've got it figured out for life. :)

I read a lot, and unless a given work is unavailable electronically I almost never read paper books anymore. Kindle is easier on the eyes and the brain for me. Speaking of which, would an ePub version of the manual be desirable?
Understood. I'm a paper guy from way back. I carried a paper planner on the job for years. Still do sometimes. If I needed a piece of info at a design meeting, at a customer site, or when bumping into a director in the hallway, I could flip to it in a few seconds, while folks were still scrolling through their tablets.

I'll have to give Kindle a shot, though. I'm always looking for comfortable, efficient ways to get to information, and I'm the first to admit that electronic means has advantages.

I read and write mostly digital (professionally and otherwise), but for some purposes paper still beats screens.

I'm a fast reader and text on paper allows me to "scan" a page far more quickly than a screen does.
The physical presence of paper sometimes can have added value.

I also get less tired reading from paper.

But from a sustainability POV, digital is the way to go.

ePub is handy but if you have a copy of Calibre (which you should if you have a kindle!!), it's really easy to just switch formats. It's not quite as good to go PDF->epub as it would be to have it directly published to epub, but I don't think it's worth spending working hours on it. ;)

I read a LOT. iPad kindle app. I tried to read a paper back a while ago. It so uncomfortable to hold and not being able to scale text .. far inferior for my use.

Just a friendly suggestion for the manual. If the page numbers aligned with pdf pages it would be much easier to navigate

I used to not like reading on anything electronically. I'm an IT person, so that was hard, but "reading for pleasure" was real books until I got an early generation (the "electronic paper" kind) Kindle.

That was it for me... Paper books were out:)

Over time, I ended up with an iPad, and now I use the Kindle app... I've adjusted.

When you say "ePub", I assume you mean specifically that format? PDF works just fine with Kindle.
Do you suppose they will make a kindle version of the manual.

Just a friendly suggestion for the manual. If the page numbers aligned with pdf pages it would be much easier to navigate

I'm not sure that is possible... As font sizes can be changed by the reader.

But, helpful would be to have TOC links to pages, which I know IS possible. That allows jumping without scrolling.

Do you suppose they will make a kindle version of the manual.
PDF should work fine... It does for me.

I don't know if kindle supports ePub.

I'd guess they won't make a Kindle format, but who knows? No idea what is involved...

I love the manual. I am older (50+) and still a paper lover, to print, read, and highlight great info and tips. ePub would be cool for IPad but will always want .pdf option to print.

It is a GREAT Manual! Can’t even imagine the untold hours M@tt must have put into it...

Going to have to agree to disagree on that. Kindle ink screens are very comfortable to read on and certainly a way around printing to paper. It's preference of course, but if you haven't read anything on a Kindle and are basing your judgement off of LCD/LED screens, you're missing out on a piece of tech that combines the eye comfort/minimal strain of paper with the benefits of digital format.
Do you suppose they will release a Kindle version on the manual?

Back
Top Bottom