Axe-Fx III, Mac OS, Logic, USB Audio Troubleshooting

may not be user error . I have experienced this consistently for quite some time...for reasons unknown to me, at various times the III will become unassociated from the Aggregate device and will be greyed out in the config window of the Audio Midi Utility, View attachment 60653
and the III needs to be reassociated as seen above. PITA.. but computer restarts usually not needed but a Logic restart will be. would love to get to root cause. hope this helps.
I don't use aggregate device, it's never been reliable. I suspect one reason is that the aggregate device still supports changing sample rate if the primary soundcard does, and the Axe-FX does not, so it causes some issues there. That's why I simply switch between using the Axe-FX as the audio interface in Logic when I am tracking guitars, and switch back to my RME for everything else. It takes a few seconds to make the switch in preferences, less time than dealing with the weirdness of using an aggregate device.

may not be user error . I have experienced this consistently for quite some time...for reasons unknown to me, at various times the III will become unassociated from the Aggregate device and will be greyed out in the config window of the Audio Midi Utility, View attachment 60653
and the III needs to be reassociated as seen above. PITA.. but computer restarts usually not needed but a Logic restart will be. would love to get to root cause. hope this helps.
Curious are you using the Axe as the interface when this occurs? I have a interface (apogee) but thought I would cut out the middle man so to speak....

Agreed. I have the USB issue, but only if I don’t power on the interface first. If I forget I just pull the usb plug out for 2 seconds, and it’s fixed. Plug and play with Logic too
Have you resolved this issue? I’m having the same problem. I have to unplug the usb cable from my Mac with the axe fx on then replug to get it to work. Axe edit works fine via usb

Have you resolved this issue? I’m having the same problem. I have to unplug the usb cable from my Mac with the axe fx on then replug to get it to work. Axe edit works fine via usb
There’s one way you can avoid it completely, but there’s not an actual fix.

ALWAYS turn the AXE Fx on first (before you wake the computer)

Open Axe Edit

Open Logic

Open an existing project (which already has axe Fx assignment)

Create a new project (always using a preconfigured “Template” which already has Axe Fx assignment

Now when you open any project, Core audio automatically detects the AXE FX, and you’ll never have to plug or unplug usb.

To sum it up:

AXE FX powered on first
Proper Logic assignments
Proper Logic assignments

the most important thing is to power the axe before waking the computer. Don’t touch the mouse, or open the Mac screen until you’ve done so.

I follow this and completely forget about the issue, or having to unplug, plug the usb to initiate core audio.

I tried logic and I just don’t get it. Super frustrating for me in general.
Lol, I’m with you Chris. Originally Steinberg software, and I’ve personally never found it intuitive. I know what I want to do, and then try everything to find it. Anyone feel free to disagree, but (before judgment) please know that I am conversationally fluent in German and work there 90% of the time. But the software in general just baffles me. I just read all of those very helpful and detailed steps. All I could do was shake my head. And yes, I’m a Mac and it’s my recording software. I’m eyeing UA’s LUNA.

Lol, I’m with you Chris. Originally Steinberg software, and I’ve personally never found it intuitive. I know what I want to do, and then try everything to find it. Anyone feel free to disagree, but (before judgment) please know that I am conversationally fluent in German and work there 90% of the time. But the software in general just baffles me. I just read all of those very helpful and detailed steps. All I could do was shake my head. And yes, I’m a Mac and it’s my recording software. I’m eyeing UA’s LUNA.
Logic is rock solid since it’s native to Mac.

All that matters is initial settings, and getting them correct. All Daws require the same type of setup. I’ve used many. The USB issue is a non issue w a simple workaround.

The days of corrupted hard drives, projects freezing, and doing file save every 5 minutes are over since I switched to Mac & Logic

There’s one way you can avoid it completely, but there’s not an actual fix.

ALWAYS turn the AXE Fx on first (before you wake the computer)

Open Axe Edit

Open Logic

Open an existing project (which already has axe Fx assignment)

Create a new project (always using a preconfigured “Template” which already has Axe Fx assignment

Now when you open any project, Core audio automatically detects the AXE FX, and you’ll never have to plug or unplug usb.

To sum it up:

AXE FX powered on first
Proper Logic assignments
Proper Logic assignments

the most important thing is to power the axe before waking the computer. Don’t touch the mouse, or open the Mac screen until you’ve done so.

I follow this and completely forget about the issue, or having to unplug, plug the usb to initiate core audio.
And if you turn the axe fx off during a session. Do you have to repeat the process?

@jvilla This happened again to me last night and I remembered what it is. Though I got nothing out of the Axe (including headphone output). I have a USB to USB-C adapter and the manual says, I do not know why, but for you to connect the adapter to the Mac first, then connect the USB to the adapter. Then it worked for me. Again, powered off the Axe and unplugged from the adapter. Powered on the Axe and waited for it to fully boot, then connect the USB to the adapter. For a good 5 minutes I was futzing with it. Hope that helps.

Funny, I love Logic because it’s so intuitive and I never have any issues with it. I’m still on High Sierra and won’t update my Mac because A) I don’t need to and B) I’ve heard nothing but horror stories from people who have.

If those of you who are having a hard time navigating Logic are interested, check out MusicTechHelpGuy on YouTube. He’s got a TON of tutorials that have helped me considerably along the way.

I haven’t had a single problem with my set up (USB from MacBook into the III) since I got it. I just selected the III as my Input/Output device and called it a day. Works flawlessly every time. Hope you guys get this figured out, I can understand the frustration! (It’s why I stopped using Windows!)

Can someone start a Google Sheet to collect data across those reporting this problem? Apple can be very helpful and I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

1. Problems seem to be more prevalent on newer Macs (maybe iMac and Mac mini). What is your HARDWARE (Year, Model) and OS VERSION?

2. Problem reports often come from systems with multiple USB Audio devices, especially when the 3rd party device requires a driver. What other USB devices are on your system?

3. Sometimes, running through a powered USB hub will fix things. A support tech at a major audio company told me that this prevents the OS from manipulating device bandwidth. If you're already using a hub, sometimes removing it can help. What are you using? What have you tried?

4. I don't believe Logic has been implicated as we've heard here from some people running Cubase. Does anyone ever have trouble when NOT using Logic or another DAW?

5. Does anyone else notice any patterns?

One thing that may be helpful is post up your Logic version and OSX version. Maybe even your III firmware version. Certain revisions of Logic and OSX have quirks.
The USB issue is present on all OSX at the present, as far as I’m aware. I will not upgrade to Catalina however until all the third party audio developers have the bugs worked out. There are still other issues with Catalina. My setup that works consistently at the present is:

MacBook Pro late 2013
2.3 ghz Core I7
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia Geoforce GT 750M 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
500 GB SSD
Mohave 10.14.6
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
Fractal FX III firmware 12.0
Axe FX III is the only interface
Waves 9. Xx plug ins + a few version 10
External Samsung SSD T5 500 GB
Akai MPK249 Keyboard controller
Yamaha HS8’s

I always leave the MacBook Pro closed on a big cooling mat with great fans. HDMI out to a 42” LED TV

AXE III plugged directly into the left USB
The right side USB goes to a powered USB bank.

On that bank I have a keyboard controller, all my library sounds, including EZ drummer, and a back up drive.

Hey Matt

MacBook Pro, 2016
2.9Ghz Quad Core Intel i7
16GB 2133 Mhz LPDDR3 RAM
Radeon Pro 460 4 GB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

Axe FXIII is the only Audio interface

Logic Pro X 10.4.8

Axe FX plugged directly into USB port.

Other things connected via USB:
  • A powered hub with Presonus Faderport 8 connected (but the issues were there way before the Faderport came along)
  • A non-powered hub with the following connected to it:
    • M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 midi keyboard
    • Dymo label printer
    • Ethernet port, cable going to router

When using the Axe as the output device with Logic, I have sometimes have it completely go silent WHILE it is actually playing back audio. Logic still sees it as connected and, if I remove the cable or reboot the Axe, it knows about it.

As far as noticing patterns, I haven't I'm afraid. Sometimes it can work perfectly all day, other times it can have this issue multiple times within an hour. On a day to day basis, I'm doing / running pretty much the same thing; mostly a browser window (Chrome), Outlook, Axe Edit and Logic

I have also had the issue when using a standalone desktop audio solution today called Jam Origin (for converting guitar audio to midi). Had to reboot the Axe after a little while of use for it to recognise it as an input device.

Good luck!

Can someone start a Google Sheet to collect data across those reporting this problem? Apple can be very helpful and I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

1. Problems seem to be more prevalent on newer Macs (maybe iMac and Mac mini). What is your HARDWARE (Year, Model) and OS VERSION?

2. Problem reports often come from systems with multiple USB Audio devices, especially when the 3rd party device requires a driver. What other USB devices are on your system?

3. Sometimes, running through a powered USB hub will fix things. A support tech at a major audio company told me that this prevents the OS from manipulating device bandwidth. If you're already using a hub, sometimes removing it can help. What are you using? What have you tried?

4. I don't believe Logic has been implicated as we've heard here from some people running Cubase. Does anyone ever have trouble when NOT using Logic or another DAW?

5. Does anyone else notice any patterns?

So I have no idea if this is even the same underlying issue as OP or not (it's getting kinda hard to keep track of all the Mac USB issue threads o_O), but following on from my posts in https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/audio-input-into-logic-pro-x.157320/page-2 and various support emails, my issue is that I get no input signal from the Axe FX 3 into my computer in any DAW (Logic is my primary DAW, but I've tried others), despite macOS acknowledging it as an input and output device and getting an output signal from my computer into the Axe FX 3 (ie. I can listen to music through the headphone jack on the Axe FX 3).

1. I've reproduced this on 2 machines:
a) 2016 MacBook Pro, 15-inch, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
b) 2019 MacBook Pro, 16-inch, macOS Catalina 10.15.2

Worth noting - I set up my 16 inch MacBook Pro from a Time Machine backup of the old 15-inch, so if it's something weird with my computer configuration it would've gotten copied over.

The one thing I can definitively say is that it's not a Catalina issue.

2. My other USB devices:
  • Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB
  • CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock (powered)

Axe FX 3 is plugged directly into the MacBook Pro though, through an Apple USB A to USB-C adapter. I also have an LG27UL850 4K monitor plugged into the Thunderbolt dock, using DisplayPort over USB-C. I also have 2 external SSDs plugged into my dock. I've been using the external monitor whenever I've tried using the Axe FX 3. Still have issues even with the Focusrite turned off and disconnected.

3. I've tried connecting my Axe FX 3 to my CalDigit TS3 Plus dock, but it made no difference. I've also tried running through a USB-B to USB-C cable (no adapter), and it made no difference. Rebooting the computer makes no difference, both with the Axe FX 3 on and off. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable also makes no difference. Connecting the USB-C adapter first, then the USB cable, while the Axe FX 3 is on also makes no difference.

The weirdest part of this IMO is that if I check my meters on the Axe FX display, it claims that there is signal under the expected USB OUT meters. So where is the signal falling off? Nothing makes seeeeenseeeeee o_O

4. Definitely not a Logic issue for me – I've been able to repro in Pro Tools and Bitwig Studio.

5. Only pattern I've noticed is that it seems to be a lopsided issue for a lot of people - either you don't get output from the Axe FX (which is what's happening in my case), or you don't get input from the computer into Axe FX. That and that maybe everyone who's running into this is using an external monitor, but I'm not 100% sure.

IMO the best next step would be to see if this is reproducible on a Windows machine with my particular Axe FX unit, but sadly I don't have one to test. If it is, then it's an issue with some Axe FX units (or at least mine). If it isn't, then it seems pretty likely to be a Core Audio issue?

Last edited:
Logic Pro X works flawlessly if I power up the AXE FX III 1st then Plug in my USB C to USB B Cable Directly no Hub.

If I plug In the Cable before powering on the AXE FX III all I have to do is Unplug the Cable and plug it back in.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Catalina 10.15.2
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Storage 1TB
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
USB C to USB B Cable
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
Fractal AXE FX III Firmware 11.01
Axe FX III is the only interface

Last edited:
I spoke on the phone this afternoon with @HeyimJoe

We determined that in his case, the problem of "hung Axe-Fx audio" is caused by the very specific action of rebooting the Axe-Fx III while Logic is running. The fix/workaround we came up with for now is to quit Logic before turning off the Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
I spoke on the phone this afternoon with @HeyimJoe

We determined that in his case, the problem is caused by the very specific sequence of rebooting the Axe-Fx III while Logic is running. The fix/workaround we came up with for now is to quit Logic before turning off the Axe-Fx.

This seems similar to the MacOS thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-to-disable-core-audio-mac-more-below.156742/

The similarity is that either the OS or Logic is trying to connect to AXE before it's done booting and in trying to connect to it, it must get confused and somehow gets stuck. However in both the scenario with Logic above, and with MacOS, if the AXE is fully booted before you connect a USB audio app to it (either Logic or MacOS system) then it's OK.

I notice that about 1/3 the way through the AXE FX boot sequence, the USB device is recognized in MacOS but it's almost like AXE hasn't finished booting and so some weird race condition exists.

I just got a refurbished iMac this yesterday, I've spent the last day and a half getting loaded on the computer and Logic up and running. Finally tonight I'm ready to resume recording and no input into Logic. Didn't matter how many times I unplugged the USB, started things over, did everything in these suggestions. I got an alert that said Input Monitoring is unavailable and I had to change it in the System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Microphone. I followed that order and when I clicked Microphone, Logic showed up in a box to the right. I selected Logic and hit enter, it said it won't function until it's closed. I restarted Logic and finally had the input coming in.

Super frustrating after what I wrote about in my previous post in regards to how simple Logic has always been for me. I never once experienced an issue like that until tonight.

Back
Top Bottom