Axe-Fx III - Lower EMI?

Warrior

Power User
"A thoughtfully designed multi-layer circuit board features gold plating and extensive ground fill for low EMI and immunity to interference. This impressive level of engineering yields the most pristine sound quality, lowest THD, and lowest noise floor of any product we’ve ever created—by far."

I have what I believe is EMI in my studio. Will the Axe-Fx III actually help to rid me of this scurge?

It will help reduce the effects of EMI on the Axe III, but it won't change the amount of EMI that's being picked up by your guitar. And on most cases, the guitar is the worst offender.

Yup, guitar and the cable pick up around 1000x more interference than the Axe itself.

If only I didn't use my Axe III in an old home with bad wiring, with LED lights with dimmers running, and several studio PC's, monitors, cell phones and single coil pickups.... darn thing would be totally silent....

"A thoughtfully designed multi-layer circuit board features gold plating and extensive ground fill for low EMI and immunity to interference. This impressive level of engineering yields the most pristine sound quality, lowest THD, and lowest noise floor of any product we’ve ever created—by far."

I have what I believe is EMI in my studio. Will the Axe-Fx III actually help to rid me of this scurge?
You oughta actually get an electrician over to see about properly grounding the place.

You oughta actually get an electrician over to see about properly grounding the place.

I would absolutely LOVE to get rid of this issue. To my knowledge, their are no ground issues. I'm not against having an electrician look at it though. I am concerned with being able to find an electrician that is truly familiar/experienced with the issue and not just having an electrician (albeit a qualified one) "look into it" and not really truly understand what he/she is looking for.

Any suggestions?

Try unplug your guitar: you will hear the noise picked up by axefx/cable/monitor. If noise is very low, try shielding the guitar against EMI...

I would absolutely LOVE to get rid of this issue. To my knowledge, their are no ground issues. I'm not against having an electrician look at it though. I am concerned with being able to find an electrician that is truly familiar/experienced with the issue and not just having an electrician (albeit a qualified one) "look into it" and not really truly understand what he/she is looking for.

Any suggestions?
Ask them the same questions. Ask them to figure out if there are separate circuits after where the device enters the house. One section may be grounded and the other isn't. This can happen particularly previous owners who think they know what they're doing and don't try to upgrade things on their own, or the ones that add dormers and extensions and try to do it on the cheap.

I grew up watching my dad systematically un-eff the heating, plumbing and electrical in our house because the first owner was the original owner, who built the house by hand from plans bought from Sears, Roebuck, and Co. in 1939. He did a great job overall, but there were a lot of. shall we say, workarounds that had to be fixed, and the heating was ancient cast iron radiators - and the radiators were all right underneath really drafty sash windows which to this day still perplexes me. The heat went directly from the radiators to the neighborhood while we froze.

Anyway, maybe find one by word of mouth, have them over, demonstrate your issue, and ask them for an estimate. Don't commit to anything. Get a few of those and see if there's a consensus. Then move forward.

The Axe FX III will be the least of your EMI worries. Better shielding of the guitar offers some improvement. Developing balanced guitar circuitry doesn't seem to have any traction. Even better grounding in the building may not be enough. With all the wireless transmissions and cell relay installations: Some may have to redecorate the walls with copper screen: Will upgrading to a Faraday cage be the next trend in studio design?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom