Axe-Fx III & Liquid Foot+ syx file thread

martijne

Inspired
Hello,

I made a simple setup file for the LF+12+ and the Axe FX II:
  • used the cc numbers of the II and set them up in in the Midi/remote menu of the III
  • made a small LF layout with:
    • commonly used effects in the IA slots, including scenes, looper, external etc
    • three basic pages:
      • one with scene 1-4, 4 preset slots, page switching, tap tempo & tuner
      • a looper page
      • an fx page
Maybe the syx file is useful for someone. If you feel it needs improving, please do and upload it here again.

Note: the Axe FX III and the LF+ do not yet sync.

Attachments

• AxeFXIII.syx
    611.3 KB · Views: 20
Wow, that looks great. Using colors is smart.

I implemented this in a second version. The Amp channel IA's are on the looper page. Move them around wherever you want them.

I also tried to make a Midi clock IA, which starts and stops the midi clock. That would sync my Axe and Novation circuit's tempo. Have the clock react to tap tempo. But the midi clock global settings puzzle me and I can't find the regular Realtime Midi Start / Stop / Continue commands. Did anyone try something similar?

Attachments

• Axe FXIII v0.02.syx
    611.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
This one packs some more.
  • the basic or main page has scene 1-4, 4 preset slots, context up/down for preset bank scrolling, tuner and access to the menu page
  • a menu page, from where you can go to all other pages.
  • fx page with a bunch of effects. Button 9 short press takes you backs to the main page, long press back to the menu page.
  • looper page with all v1.15 looper functions, same button 9 navigation
  • tools page with scene volume increment and decrement, tuner, tap-tempo (not working properly), same button 9 navigation
  • 8 scene page with all scenes, same button 9 page navigation
  • channels page, for now only with amp1 and amp2 channel buttons (you guess button 9..)
  • a midi clock page with a start/stop stomp and three buttons stepping thru bpm 80-90-100-110//120-125-130-135//140-150-160-180. Does a great job of clocking the Axe FX and my Novation Circuit! Now if only tap-tempo and the master clock function in the LF+ would work together..
  • a DAW-page, not yet implemented, but will add some of the Mackie protocol for studio use (check out the Nektar Pacer :))
Note: my Axe FX-II has midi channel 4. If the syx does not work, maybe check your midi channel.

Attachments

• Axe FXIII v0.03.syx
    611.3 KB · Views: 13
This one packs some more.
  • the basic or main page has scene 1-4, 4 preset slots, context up/down for preset bank scrolling, tuner and access to the menu page
  • a menu page, from where you can go to all other pages.
  • fx page with a bunch of effects. Button 9 short press takes you backs to the main page, long press back to the menu page.
  • looper page with all v1.15 looper functions, same button 9 navigation
  • tools page with scene volume increment and decrement, tuner, tap-tempo (not working properly), same button 9 navigation
  • 8 scene page with all scenes, same button 9 page navigation
  • channels page, for now only with amp1 and amp2 channel buttons (you guess button 9..)
  • a midi clock page with a start/stop stomp and three buttons stepping thru bpm 80-90-100-110//120-125-130-135//140-150-160-180. Does a great job of clocking the Axe FX and my Novation Circuit! Now if only tap-tempo and the master clock function in the LF+ would work together..
  • a DAW-page, not yet implemented, but will add some of the Mackie protocol for studio use (check out the Nektar Pacer :))
Note: my Axe FX-II has midi channel 4. If the syx does not work, maybe check your midi channel.

Have you been spying on me haha? I've been programming my LF+ today almost identical to yours except for the MIDI Clock page :)

I'll share mine when I'm finished. I setup my Scenes so Scene 1 toggles to Scene 2 and Scene 2-4 toggle back to Scene 1.

Have you been spying on me haha? I've been programming my LF+ today almost identical to yours except for the MIDI Clock page :)

Of course! :sweatsmile: The trick with the clock page was to make simple one-byte sysexes with FA for start, FB for continue FC for stop. The start/stop stomp IA FA (on) and FC (off). These are the midi realtime command. The midi tempo (BPM) command starts sending F8 clock bytes. I used the step function for the different speeds. Maybe the clock thing could be on the wiki?

I'll share mine when I'm finished. I setup my Scenes so Scene 1 toggles to Scene 2 and Scene 2-4 toggle back to Scene 1.

That's an excellent idea. Maybe we can merge everything into one file. Once the IA slots are properly set up, people can just pick and mix.

Would it be wise to start using IA-maps? what do you think? And do you know how to make a tap tempo that sets the midi clock speed of the LF+ itself (i.e. not just send cc14 to the Axe)?

Of course! :sweatsmile: The trick with the clock page was to make simple one-byte sysexes with FA for start, FB for continue FC for stop. The start/stop stomp IA FA (on) and FC (off). These are the midi realtime command. The midi tempo (BPM) command starts sending F8 clock bytes. I used the step function for the different speeds. Maybe the clock thing could be on the wiki?

That's an excellent idea. Maybe we can merge everything into one file. Once the IA slots are properly set up, people can just pick and mix.

Would it be wise to start using IA-maps? what do you think? And do you know how to make a tap tempo that sets the midi clock speed of the LF+ itself (i.e. not just send cc14 to the Axe)?

Sorry, I don't know anything about using MIDI Clock but I'll definitely add any info you have to my tutorial.

I was going to create 3 IA Maps and 3 Pages that use each one, so all 180 IA's can be used. I'm planning on creating Axe-Fx III programming similar to the Axe-Fx II programming that's included in the LF+ Editor, so people can just load it and start rockin out.

I haven't tried backing anything up in the Axe-Fx III yet but hopefully there's a way to just backup the MIDI/Remote pages, so then we can just share them with the LF+ file.

In my post link below, I include links to download my Excel spreadsheet with all the Axe-Fx III functions listed in the Setup MIDI/Remote pages. I also include a link to the CSV version of the Excel file.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/list-of-midi-controlable-parameters.142262/#post-1685232

Here's my programming. It will work with a LF+ 12+ and PRO+. If you want to use it with a JR+ or Mini, you would have to create more of the IA Slots I named Ps ##-## and edit the current ones, so they shift 8 buttons and not 12.

Make sure to BACKUP your programming BEFORE loading my programming because it will overwrite your programming!!!

Buttons that say Ps 01-12, Ps 13-24 etc... Shift the page buttons, so you can access all 60 buttons on a page. I also used a few IA-Maps, so all 180 IA's could be accessed. I only programmed a couple IA's as channels because I haven't decided which ones I want to use yet.

I have my Scenes setup, so they toggle back to Scene 1, so if scene 3 is enabled and you step on it, it will enable Scene 1. I have Scene 1 toggle to Scene 2, so if Scene 1 is enabled and you step on it, it will enable Scene 2. I setup Scenes 5-8 the same way back to Scene 5.

You can move around any of the IA Slots except 56-60 because those are programmed to shift page buttons.

Feel free to ask questions :)

Attachments

• Axe-Fx III Presets Pages IA-Slots IA-Map Global - 2018-09-10_121819_Mon.syx
    392.4 KB · Views: 15
Here's my programming.

Buttons that say Ps 01-12, Ps 13-24 etc... Shift the page buttons, so you can access all 60 buttons on a page. I also used a few IA-Maps, so all 180 IA's could be accessed. I only programmed a couple IA's as channels because I haven't decided which ones I want to use yet.

I have my Scenes setup, so they toggle back to Scene 1, so if scene 3 is enabled and you step on it, it will enable Scene 1. I have Scene 1 toggle to Scene 2, so if Scene 1 is enabled and you step on it, it will enable Scene 2. I setup Scenes 5-8 the same way back to Scene 5.

You can move around any of the IA Slots except 56-60 because those are programmed to shift page buttons.

Feel free to ask questions :)

Excellent! I'm very interested in your IA map and page button start programming - could not get that to work in my previous setup. Is the secret in setting the IA type to QUICK TAP?

A scene IA question tho: why do you use " If Trigger, Skip" and then "IA On Trig" on the Off programming and not a regular back to scene 1 cc command. What is the advantage?

Last edited:
Excellent! I'm very interested in your IA map and page button start programming - could not get that to work in my previous setup. Is the secret in setting the IA type to QUICK TAP?

A scene IA question tho: why do you use " If Trigger, Skip" and then "IA On Trig" on the Off programming and not a regular back to scene 1 cc command. What is the advantage?

I use Quick Tap IA's for the Page button shifts bc they don't need off commands.

I use the If Trigger Skip command, so the Scene Displays stay in sync. All the Scenes are in Group 1. Only one IA can be on at a time in a group and when you turn on an IA in the group, all the other IA's in the group trigger their off commands. I don't want the off commands to be triggered unless I physical step on a Scene IA that's On. The If Trigger Skip ignores all commands that are initiated by another action and only triggers commands below it when they are physically triggered.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I knew about groups, but not about the difference between programmed and physical triggers. I'll try to set it up like that.

I forgot to mention that I use IA On Trigger instead of CC, so it runs all the On commands in the selected IA and enables the On color for that IA too. If you used CC instead, it wouldn't enable the correct On color bc it wouldn't know which IA button it is turning On.

Also, it's not mentioned in the LF+ manual but many of the Trigger commands and Initial IA states in presets are ignored when you have the LF+ in one of the Axe-Fx or Kemper sync modes. The reason for that is bc it's showing everything that's On and Bypassed automatically where as if Axe-Fx mode isn't enabled like with the Axe-Fx III, you have to manually configure everything like initial IA states. Initial IA states can send commands and enable colors or it can just enable colors. I only use them to enable On, Bypassed and Off colors for the Axe-Fx III and not send any commands.

I forgot to mention that I use IA On Trigger instead of CC, so it runs all the On commands in the selected IA and enables the On color for that IA too. If you used CC instead, it wouldn't enable the correct On color bc it wouldn't know which IA button it is turning On.

That is also very useful to know, especially for effect states! My strategy up to now was just to ignore on & off states for the III and only work with scenes, but this is new info... Thnx!!

Thanks to @DavezHear for creating a spreadsheet that lists all the Axe-Fx III sysex messages

Here's the link to his post #115 where you can download his spreadsheet:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-third-party-midi-spec.140602/page-6#post-1689047

This is very useful because there are only 128 CC's but there are more than 128 parameters that can be assigned in the Axe-Fx III MIDI/Remote menu, so now we can use Sysex msgs to Bypass/Enable blocks and change Channels :D

I will share my LF+ programming file soon!

I tested out the Enable/Bypass sysex msgs last night with my LF+ and Axe-Fx III and they worked perfectly!

Each Block needs 2 sysex msgs 1. Enable 2. Bypass. I'm going to use sysex msgs to Enable/Bypass Blocks and save CC's for Channels. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to finish programming my LF+

I've loaded the programing that @GotMetalBoy posted above. The preset buttons make my Axe III switch presets properly, but the scene buttons aren't changing anything on my axe III. I'm running a Jr+ if that matters. What might I be doing wrong? Do I need to program anything in the Axe III itself?
Thanks!!!

I've loaded the programing that @GotMetalBoy posted above. The preset buttons make my Axe III switch presets properly, but the scene buttons aren't changing anything on my axe III. I'm running a Jr+ if that matters. What might I be doing wrong? Do I need to program anything in the Axe III itself?
Thanks!!!

You need to go into the Axe-Fx III SETUP > MIDI/Remote > Page right twice to the Bypass menu: You have to assign every CC. You can press the ENTER button to put it into learning mode so then if you press an IA pedal on the LF+, it will assign that CC. The Axe-Fx II had the CC's assigned but you have to manually assign the CC's in the III. I made a wish post requesting a way to export just the MIDI/Remote settings, so people can share them, so we don't have to waste so much time with setup.

My LF+ programming has Pages with every IA assigned in order of the Axe-Fx III MIDI/Remote > Bypass Blocks, so you can just press the ENTER key to put it into learning mode and then press the corresponding LF+ IA pedal but you won't be able to access the top 4 buttons because you only have 8 and my programming is for 12 buttons. You would need to edit my IA Slots 56-60 and make 3 more IA's to be able to access all 60 buttons on each page and you would need to add the 3 new IA's to the pages. Let me know if you can't figure out how to do this and I can make an example programming file for the JR+.

NOTE: I only have LF+ IA's setup that were in the Axe-Fx II but I plan to share my new programming file soon that will include all IA's for Axe-Fx III. I'm using sysex to bypass Blocks because there's only 128 CC's that can be used, so there's not enough to control everything but by using sysex for Bypass, I can use the CC's for the Channels and modifiers.

Back
Top Bottom