Axe-Fx III latency with my Audio Interface?

Cpt737

Hi everyone. I have just got my AXE FX III, its my first Fractal Audio unit and Im new to forum. I ve pretty much read all the other discussions in the forum about the similar issue in DAW but Im hearing latency even when Im directly monitoring my AXE FX III through Presonus 192 Mobile interface. Obviously I have the same latency when using it with my DAW (Cubase 5). The latency is very subtle, maybe only can be realized when playing fast percussive riffs.
I have no latency when connecting my the AXE FX III outputs directly to speakers. I am using Windows 7 and Presonus is selected as the main Audio device in Win7.

orkvug.jpg

I am pretty much using same setup as the pic above. Im using a pair of XLR to 1/4 inch cables from AXE FX III OUTPUT 1 to Studio 192 Mobile Line Inputs 3 and 4, also speakers are connected to the Presonus Outputs. I couldnt figure out a way to get rid of latency. These are my settings on both AXE FX III and Universal Control.

presonus.jpgIMG_6927 (2).jpg

I have some questions for those who are familiar with recording and AXE FX III.
  • Does latency decreases If I reduce the Block Size in Universal Control?
  • Does it make a difference If I select different USB Buffer Size on AXE FX3 since Im not using it as the main audio device?
  • Is there a difference between using Instrument Inputs or Line Inputs of Audio Interface with AXE III ?
  • Would I have better results using SPIDF in terms of audio quality or latency? (or any other cable)
  • Could some of the cables go bad and causing latency?

I know some of these questions are pretty basic and very noob and I kind of feel shy for asking but Im pretty new to recording :) Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Merhaba Alper :),

Smth seems be wrong with your Interface, or there is a mistake with the setup.

Direct Monitoring should be latency free. You would get less latency from Axe Fx 3 if you connect with Spdif since it would shoot the audio without D/A conversion to your presonus but than the presonus needs to convert. I have never heard, experienced cables causing latency.

the axe has nothing to do with the latency when connecting it via Analog cables like XLR or 1/4". the issue should lie solely with the interface.

I did a search for "zero-latency monitoring" in your Presonus Studio 192 Mobile User's Guide.

from Page 38:
"Setting Up Z-Mix. Your PreSonus Studio 192-series interface provides zero-latency monitoring through Studio One. To enable zero-latency monitoring, you must enable the outputs for the mixes to be Cue Mix outputs. From the Outputs tab, click on the Cue Mix box next to any output you’d like to use to send a zero-latency monitor mix."

continues on Page 42 & for the next few pages:
"5.4 Monitor Mixing with Z-Mix You can set up zero-latency monitor mixes with your Studio 192-series interface using Studio One’s unique Z-Mix feature. This feature takes over the monitor mix control software for your Studio 192-series interface and provides level and pan control from within Studio One. Simply designate a pair or pairs of outputs as a cue mix, and you’ll find the Z-Mix controls in your Studio One mixer. As previously mentioned, Universal Control-AI must be operating in the background for Z-Mix functions to be available for your Studio 192-series interface. You can create a cue mix and send it to any output on your Studio 192-series interface (Mains, General Purpose, ADAT, or S/PDIF). You simply need to create an output bus and enable Cue Mix. Power User Tip: It is possible to designate the main output as a cue mix. This is helpful if you often record yourself and require quick access to zero-latency monitoring for live inputs. When the main output is designated as a Z-Mix, a Zero Latency button will appear on any audio channel, with an assigned audio input in the Console, below the Mute, Solo, Record, and Monitor buttons."

Thanks a lot for the replies and tesekkurler Semih :). I think I am going to have to switch to Studio One. Just realized I have the Studio One 4 Artist serial number since I have couple of Presonus Products.

Hi Alper,
You’re not monitoring through the daw by mistake? That would certainly cause what you are hearing.

[edit] - woah- just did a search on “presonus 192 mobile latency” - yikes!
It’s not you!

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom