Axe-Fx III into another audio interface

jdarez

I'm trying to figure out the issue behind the excessive 'hum'/noise when plugging my AXE into my Scarlet 2i4 (1st gen).

I'd like to use my Axe as the only audio interface but it give problems when playing audio from my PC and guitar at the same time. Initially, the PCs audio would cut after half a second, I managed to fix it but it still cuts whenever I open Axe Edit on the PC or pretty much do anything to make the Axe communicate to the PC while the audio is playing. The issue might be a low quality USB cable. I've ordered a new one and awaiting it's arrival.

In the meantime I've got my Digital piano, Nord Keyboard and guitar all plugged into the Axe. The Axe's output 3 then goes to the Scarlet 2i4's input (via instrumetn cables), which I connect my headphones to. This is the only reliable way I can get sound from my PC and AXE at the same time. The problem is a crazy amount of hum. I've narrowed it down to:

• Crappy USB cables from both my 2i4 and Axe to my PC
  • USB cables plugged into a hub instead of the back of the PC
  • Phantom power from 2i4, perhaps a dedicated power cable would be better than phantom from the USB
  • Using instrument cables to connect my Axe to my 2i4 (only have one XLR cable right now)
  • Something else?

Ideally, I'd like to toss the 2i4 and just rely on the AXE as my audio interface, that's assuming the new USB works.

Any thoughts on the problem?
What's your setup linking your AXE to your PC? Are you able to play sound from the PC and Axe at the same time?

Cheers

I ended up using this and plug everything, including the Axe into it. It has a return from the PC so I can mix playback audio from the PC with the Axe and keyboard, etc. Works really well.
StudioLive® AR12c

I plug my axe-fx III into a Presonus Studiolive 16r...the Studiolive is a single rackspace mixer/audio interface and I use two Atomix CLR's for listening. That way everything translates well when I'm playing live or when recorded.

For my home music room, I have Axe3 going into Roland OctaCapture interface, and Octa selectable outs to any of:
  • studio monitors,
  • stereo poweramp/2x Mesa 112 Cabs,
  • 2x Pedal Amp/2x FR Cabs.
  • Combo amp return.
On Mac/Daw I use aggregate interface definition that includes both Axefx and/or OctaCapture In/Outs. Works very well. I could get a very slight / unnoticeable improvement in latency using either Axe or Octa interface defs separately but not worth giving up the convenience of the aggregate definition.

Works Great for at home setup. I cannot hear/feel any difference from going direct out of Axe to amplification, compared to having the Octa in between Axe and amplification.

OctaCapture is long in the tooth now but still holds up well - can't say I know of any newer interface that would work as well. I like that it does not have to be connected to a running computer to operate as a simple mixer.

I run my Axe into my Behringer XR18 and have little to no hum. Certainly far less than my Dual Rec or 6505 mic'd up.

Similar setup to some of those above.

I did have some hum for a moment, a year or two ago. As best I recall it was a polarity issue with the speaker monitors. I plugged one of the monitors in with a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter to the AC power strip, which resolved the hum.

As much as possible, try to power all of your speakers, AXE-FX, surge protection, mixer and audio interface from the same outlets, as long as this does not overload the power circuit.

What's your setup linking your AXE to your PC? Are you able to play sound from the PC and Axe at the same time?

Axe via SPDIF into Roland Quad Capture. Symmetrical out into Neumann KH 120. No hum at all and I can use the Mac/Axe at the same time without using an aggregate device.

Back
Top Bottom