Axe-Fx III: integrating outboard gear (story, pics)

Glad to hear your getting on well with the Freqout! It’s at the top of the list of my “must have” or at least “must try” hardware additions for anyone. Just does what nothing else can do, and with a real ease of use.

I run mine in a loop as well, and add a comp before it and delay after so I can get even more sustain and repeats on the feedback, which is really cool if you do some whammy bar stuff

Agreed. And people need to get a FreqOut while they can. Digitech has closed down their pedal division. The Digitech pedals are on sale @Thomann (and probably other places I guess).

This is the first mock up of my humble studio-only board:

IMG_2955.jpg

I just bought the Whammy Ricochet and Mosaic on the blow out sale.

I just run the three Digitech pedals in series in the loop of the Little Lehle as I never use all three pedals at once - and always in front of the Axe Fx III.

But Yek's setup has got me to GAS for having a Tera Echo in the loop of the Axe ... again. I used to have it on my Axe Fx II XL - but sold when I got the Axe III ... hmmm ... hmmm ...

Btw. don't believe the display! :D

The H9 bundles effects in unique ways into algorithms. It’s not so much what the H9 does that the Fractal doesn’t, but it’s more the Eventide fingerprint on the sounds due to how they bundle stuff together. For instance if you wanted pitch, delay and some modulation, you can call all that up separately in the fractal no problem but in the Eventide it’s in one algo and will have a certain sound to it. Also, their delays and verbs really are stellar.
Thank you sir!

The only outboard gear I use is a Digitech "The Drop" pedal in my pedalboard and a TC Electronic Mimiq pedal that I have firmly mounted in the back of my 6 space rack.

20190222_144959.jpg

Next, in the I/O 4 loop, I run a FreqOut and Helicon Talkbox Synth. AS guitar effects, they are never used simultaneously.

The FreqOut is an excellent pedal, extremely good at what it does (simulated feedback). I don't need to have it at my feet. I control it remotely with a switch on my RJM which engages block IN 4. Works seamlessly.

The FreqOut has its Dry Kill switch activated. So, like the above mentioned pedals, its sound is added in parallel, which works well. My favorite feedback setting is Natural Low.

The FreqOut is mounted on a small Metro 16 pedalboard that sits on top of my 3U rack containing my III. I take this pedalboard with me to gigs.

I'm also a huge fan of the Freqout and it's the only piece of gear I still from pre-AxeFX days.

I'm not a fan of having it in parallel, but can't figure out how to run it in series. I have the Out 3 block engaging when I hit a momentary switch (plugged into FC Pedal 2 location, my switches are full). I'd rather not shut the Dry signal off on the pedal and use it like I did pre-Axe days. I just don't like hearing the original note hanging out in the background as it is in parallel.

I saw on one of your other pedals, you have the option to run it 100% wet and kill the dry signal with your RJM, how are you setting that up?

I incorporated a FX loop selector with 4 midi switchable loops on it on Axe loop 3. Axe loop 4 has the chase bliss pedals just before the axe output ... for textured looping FX.

Tweakers dream...
View attachment 64534

I'm not a fan of those George L cables ... I had loads of noise and dry joint issues when I used them years ago with my G System. Since then I only have Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE patch cables with Neutrik connectors.

Nice rig though, I do miss tinkering with my pedals :)

Really dislike the George Ls too. Had a ton of problems with them, bad connections etc, which resulted in a lot of high end loss. Replaced all the cables in the rig with cables that I soldered, and never looked back.

Really interesting thread here! Thought I was the only 'fool' still trying to play around with external effects..

Quick question I'd like to run by this group:

Do you guys see any issues in using balanced TRS cables for Fx Loop 3 and 4 connections?

I sometimes need to run these out to my pedalboard 15-20 feet away from the Axe, so I was hoping to be able to use an 8-channel snake.. but it's either all TS or all TRS balanced..

Thx in advance for any insights!

Cheers,
Joce

Awesome rig D.B.! What MIDI FX loop selector is that?

Decibel Eleven DB11 Loop Expander

Only 4 loops, but I get by. If I had a do over, I'd get this:
https://www.morningstarfx.com/ml5

On the Georg L: Once a year or two take em apart, put em back to gather ... check for tightness once every few months ... but yeah ... soldered once are less of a hassle, once you are done soldering.

But I seem to re-do my boards at least twice a year... that keeps them tight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom