Axe-Fx III - instrument input not working

Orzech

Hello guys, I've just received my Axe FX III and I can't get it to work properly. The instrument input basically doesn't work both on the front and rear panel. Also only the right headphone seems to be working and it overdrives. Has anyone had such an issue? Cheers

I forgot to mention that the axe fx works just fine when I connect the guitar to input 2 on the back panel

Yeah, I can only hear the sound in the right speaker.

When I plug the guitar to input 2 and use output 2 to send the signal to my mixer, it works fine.

One side, wheat else would it mean?
i was clarifying he didn't mean "the right headphone input" as if there were multiple headphone inputs. i've seen that before, where people think Output 1 Left and Right are 2 headphone jacks or something.

Yeah, I can only hear the sound in the right speaker.

When I plug the guitar to input 2 and use output 2 to send the signal to my mixer, it works fine.
if you plug into Input 2 for guitar (and use an Input 2 block in the Preset grid) does the Headphone Output and Output 1 work correctly then?

When I do that, I can hear everything using output 1 on the back panel, but I can hear only the right channel when I connect my headphones (on the front panel above the instrument input). Are the front headphone and instrument jacks connected somehow? Also is the instrument input on the front panel directly connected to the one on the back panel? If so, my guess is that there's a broken connection on the left channel (the signal from the guitar / the left headphone output channel)

When I do that, I can hear everything using output 1 on the back panel, but I can hear only the right channel when I connect my headphones (on the front panel above the instrument input). Are the front headphone and instrument jacks connected somehow? Also is the instrument input on the front panel directly connected to the one on the back panel? If so, my guess is that there's a broken connection on the left channel (the signal from the guitar / the left headphone output channel)
It’s possible since they are both on the front. Contact support as suggested above. Might be a loose connection inside that easily adjusted.

Let me first say this, I love the Axe III.

It's unreal, and it has made me switch completely over to digital, but it seems everyday there are issues posted here about new units. I myself had a new unit that was replaced for another new unit because of an issue from factory.

Reading these problems make me wonder how stable my own unit will be in the future and how these problems slip through QA? You can say, "it happens in shipping", but the units are packaged and boxed pretty well, and if that is happening in shipping then what's to say this won't become a regular occurance when gigging and touring with the equipment?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Let me first say this, I love the Axe III.

It's unreal, and it has made me switch completely over to digital, but it seems everyday there are issues posted here about new units. I myself had a new unit that was replaced for another new unit because of an issue from factory.

Reading these problems make me wonder how stable my own unit will be in the future and how these problems slip through QA? You can say, "it happens in shipping", but the units are packaged and boxed pretty well, and if that is happening in shipping then what's to say this won't become a regular occurance when gigging and touring with the equipment?

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Of course, people post when they need help. How many users didn't experience any issue? They don't post...

I've got an Axe Fx III, an XL+, sold my mkII to the other guitarist in my band, the bassist in my band has an XL+ and a III, and several friends also have Axe Fx.

Since 2013, I've never had a problem... Neither have any of the people I just listed.

We have no way to rank the failure rate...

I wouldn't worry too much. Most modern amps have just as many connections inside with the potential to get knocked around when transporting. If you really want assurance, consider the extended warranty. It might be worth it if you're gigging with it.

The issue with this was that there was no latch on the connector and the ribbon cable probably got loose in shipping. I'd say to reproduce it, you'd need to turn your Axe Fx III upside down, shake it a couple of times and you might experience similar issues. It's no biggie but Fractal Audio engineers might think about it in future versions / revisions.

sorry to hear that. i've never had a hardware failure in over 10 years, and it's not common for sure.

do you know what specifically happened?

I figured it was a bad patch cable. I was running instrument out from my Roland GR55.

Was playing at home tonight with the guitar plugged in direct, set the guitar down for a few minutes, picked it up and no input.

Restarted the unit, still no input signal. Plugged it in the rear instrument input and voila. Plugged it back in front and it was working again...

I figured it was a bad patch cable. I was running instrument out from my Roland GR55.

Was playing at home tonight with the guitar plugged in direct, set the guitar down for a few minutes, picked it up and no input.

Restarted the unit, still no input signal. Plugged it in the rear instrument input and voila. Plugged it back in front and it was working again...
sounds like a bad cable still. not sure why plugging in the rear would make the front work.

though physically jostling cables around can make them work when the same cable wasn't working moments ago, so it seems like that maybe?

hard to say. if you want to export and upload a preset you use for us to check just in case feel free. but i'd say bad cable.

sounds like a bad cable still. not sure why plugging in the rear would make the front work.

though physically jostling cables around can make them work, so it seems like that maybe?

hard to say. if you want to export and upload a preset you use for us to check just in case feel free. but i'd say bad cable.

I tried another cable as well. These are all separate cables from what I was using live.

This was happening on all the presets I tried, including the stock presets. It's almost like whatever mechanism detects which instrument input is in use is having an issue.

Back
Top Bottom