Axe-Fx III in Music Radar

..and it's easier to say "SVT, cab, boom".

And why wouldn't you do the same thing in the Axe? I had no trouble getting great bass tones with the AX8 by just grabbing and amp/cab and doing very little else. BTW, the vintage Marshall and Fender amps make great bass amps as well.

And why wouldn't you do the same thing in the Axe? I had no trouble getting great bass tones with the AX8 by just grabbing and amp/cab and doing very little else. BTW, the vintage Marshall and Fender amps make great bass amps as well.
I can get a good Super Bassman sound going with Fender guitar amps, sure.
I haven't seen a single person in my years of being around Fractal bassists ever say you can't get great bass tones out of the products.
The new bass IRs included in the 3 are fantastic!
But I still haven't found a way to get a Gallien-Krueger 800RB-like amp and tone stack combo on the Axe 3. So I have some "feature requests" for a few new bass preamps to fill my own personal needs gap as someone trying to replicate other bands' live tones. I'm sure Cliff and Matt are aware of my requests and have their priorities set the way they think is best for their business. By all accounts they seem like good people.
At the risk of sounding defensive, I'm not just standing on the sideline complaining on the forum about what Fractal Audio "should" do. I bought Austin Buddy's Axe 3 pack specifically to get his bass presets, and I've bought the ML bass packs from Fractal, on top of the multiple Axe products I've purchased, so I'm putting my $$$ behind my "feature requests." I even wear a Fractal t-shirt at least one day a week!

Last edited:
Some of my absolute favourite bass tones were recorded with a miced cabinet. A lot of Karnivool's 'Sound Awake' album were recorded with an SVT2 and an ampeg cabinet. I think he also used a couple of drive pedals (ODB3?). The song Goliath is a prime example, bass kicks in at 22 seconds or so.

Some of my absolute favourite bass tones were recorded with a miced cabinet. A lot of Karnivool's 'Sound Awake' album were recorded with an SVT2 and an ampeg cabinet. I think he also used a couple of drive pedals (ODB3?). The song Goliath is a prime example, bass kicks in at 22 seconds or so.
Huge fan of that album and bass tone. Since you brought up Forrester Savell, I'll just drop this here for ya'll to watch.

The bass player I’ve been playing with in most of my projects in the last 12+ years normally runs direct. But every once in a while with our Stones project he would bring his Ampeg flip top and we’d mic him. That thing killed. It wouldn’t be too great for a bunch of the modern stuff we play in our current band but for that roots rock stuff like the Stones it’s pretty hard to beat an Ampeg.

Back
Top Bottom